Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• JerryW
    JerryW Posts: 296 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Spoke to Extrafuel who offered me 36p/l + £100 credit + £75pa tank rental + 3.5p max rise per 6 months.
    So nothing has matched the Avanti offer of £32.9p/l fixed for 12 m + max 3p rise per 6 months thereafter and I have sent off the forms today.
    A very nice man came to view the tank and leave the forms, and he confirmed that the 3p rise only applies once the fixed period is over so the max rise in the 6 months following the fix is 3p not 9p as Extra Fuel claimed.
    Fingers crossed that Avanti remain good people to deal with! I shall miss Woldlink, whose customer service was second-to-none.
    If what I said helped you, please "Thank" the relevant post. It cheers me up somewhat..
  • Deastons
    Deastons Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone use Flogas?

We're currently with Calor. I've filled-in Flogas' online form twice, but no-one has called. I called them and was told someone would be in touch "within 48hrs" to do a site visit. Two weeks later I called again and was told they'd definitely call me that day. That was over a week ago.

Are they always this useless? If they're this bad when I'm trying to become a customer, I can't imagine how they are once they've got you in a contract.
  • Brennus
    Options
    2 year contract 29/3/17 started with 32ppl, just received 3rd increase letter now saying the latest price is 61.34ppl. I spoke to Flogas who were not at all interested, saying I have to see out my contract. The original contract stated the price was fixed for 9 months. The price hikes started on 5/2/18. Do not make the mistake I made by not knowing their pricing policy after the fixed period until the end of the contract. Its going to be a cold winter.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just ordered 1000 litres from my local independent (HBS) at 30ppl + VAT

Looking at some of the other prices quoted recently on this forum, it looks like I'm on a pretty good deal.
  • makeni555
    makeni555 Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 September 2018 at 9:35PM
    Options
    Not sure if this is of any use to many members, but anyone out of contract with Flogas or thinking of moving, they will do a fixed price for the full 2 year contract - but you have to push a little harder and they go and 'get manager approval'.

We moved from Calor in July 2017 and are on a 31p+VAT fixed contract for 2 years (+£100 free gas). I know its no use to those in contract, but for anyone else - do ask for it.

We simply said we found the caps and incremental rises to confusing and to average it out and then charge a flat rate (originally it was something like 27p for 1 year then 3p rises every few months after, but I found it easier to budget knowing there would be no price changes for 2 years
  • chubbs85240
    Options
    JerryW wrote: »
    So nothing has matched the Avanti offer of £32.9p/l fixed for 12 m + max 3p rise per 6 months thereafter and I have sent off the forms today.

Interesting, as Avanti just wrote to me to say that as they have been absorbing the increase in costs to supply LPG, they have felt it necessary to increase their prices.

I was on 28p fixed for 1 year with max 3p increase each 6 months thereafter. Just finished the fixed period and hit with 10.3p increase!

I assume I can get out of my contract? Also can anyone confirm if the wholesale LPG costs have gone up recently? There used to be a regular graph but I can't see it

Thanks
  • JerryW
    JerryW Posts: 296 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    QUOTE=chubbs85240;74767560]...
    I was on 28p fixed for 1 year with max 3p increase each 6 months thereafter. Just finished the fixed period and hit with 10.3p increase!
    I assume I can get out of my contract? Also can anyone confirm if the wholesale LPG costs have gone up recently? There used to be a regular graph but I can't see it
    Thanks[/QUOTE]

.. probably not, as your contract specifically allows such increases, see above.
    What you can do is ask Avanti to justify the increase in writing, by specific reference to the underlying indices the contract mentions. If they don't or can't, then prima facie they have broken the contract. It would be interesting then, to see if a new supplier would accept a transfer!
    If what I said helped you, please "Thank" the relevant post. It cheers me up somewhat..
  • chubbs85240
    Options
    JerryW wrote: »
    .. probably not, as your contract specifically allows such increases, see above.
    What you can do is ask Avanti to justify the increase in writing, by specific reference to the underlying indices the contract mentions. If they don't or can't, then prima facie they have broken the contract. It would be interesting then, to see if a new supplier would accept a transfer!

Thanks Jerry.

Thanks to this thread, I have saved a fortune over the last few years, and I have already asked Avantigas for this proof.

When I called up, I was told to go to the Nasdaq's website and look at the cost of Brent Crude Oil. I was then told, there is no way they would just increase the cost for the sake of it

I told them this was not sufficient and I wanted the proof that the increase to me of 33% was commensurate with the increase to AvatiGas to purchase the gas based on the T&C's that I signed up for and if not, then today would be the start of my 42 days notice period for breach of contract, as per the T&C's.

I await the response with bated breath, however, looking at the propane spot price, it has increased significantly in the last year (but not sure this is the right index!)
  • bobmac62
    Options
    Woldlink pricing for September 2018 is 33.65ppl +5% VAT for those on the old monthly tariff.
  • Just been hit with a 10.3p per litre price hike from Avanti as well.
    I do like how they write the letter on the same date as the price is increased, preventing any orders being made at the original price.
    Thanks Avanti.
    Just for that I shall be leaving your custom as soon as possible.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback