Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 September 2018 at 8:22PM
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Motorguy

A horribly long winded post above, so I won't quote it.

It makes no odds that it is Amazon France. It's Amazon.
    He can open an Amazon UK account and use it to order from Amazon France. Don't make a drama out of nothing. The price is 75 pounds or thereabouts.

I would not buy the Sandisk Plus as any kind of substitute for the Samsung EVO 860.
    http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/SanDisk-SSD-Plus-480GB-vs-Samsung-860-Evo-500GB/m131770vsm428560
    Just, no.

The suggestion of paying them to install Windows 10 is a poor one.
    Trying to cover your suggestion as a one stop solution' just won't do.

It's easy to install for yourself.

I don't know of any thread here wherein an install went badly. Perhaps you can link to it. I'd like to see it.

No...we are not agreed. I stated an hour, tops. You stated two. That is not in agreement.

You are also assuming that the OP is not competent. I know different. The OP and I have history, so I know that he has completed a much more complicated task in the past.
    So I know that this disassembly is within his capability.

But I agree, if he can find a competent technician to fit the parts for 20 pounds, it would be reasonable.
    But somehow I don't see that happening. I'm from London. They wouldn't even look at it for less than 30 pounds + VAT and that was perhaps twenty years ago.

It's a relatively simply job. It's not that the OP is not competent, as he certainly is. It is that he is afraid. :)

The OP knows how to install an OS, because we have worked together before.
    Ordering from Amazon France is the same as ordering from Amazon UK. It might even be coming from the same warehouse.

Sandisk Plus is recommended by you. Samsung EVO Plus is recommended by me.
    The price is right. 75 pounds. The OP has no issue with the price.
    I've already linked to a suitable battery.

No disagreement with getting a shop to do the fitting at a suitable price (for a no more than one hour job), but install OS by yourself, so that you are sure of it's provenance and can personalise it.

And yet you do the same thing...

... but saying as you find other peoples long posts horrible, i'll bullet point it
    • I've already said at £75 the Samsung drive is worth the extra
    • Some people may prefer not to buy from Amazon France. I've no issues with buying from european Amazon sites, personally, however some people may. I was just letting the O/P know there were options.
    • I have given the O/P options RE: sourcing a drive. He can do as he wishes, he doesnt need forced to do one thing or another, which you seem intent on doing.
    • I said 1-2 hours as i would have thought your average computer shop would stick it down as a minimum charge of maybe 2 hours labour. It could be done in an hour, however i didnt want to set the expectation with the O/P to only expect an hours labour as it might be more depending on the business and their minimum charge, for example.
    • I am perfectly aware how long it takes to install Win10. I've done it many many times.
    • I am perfectly aware how long it would take to swap out a drive and battery. I've done it many many times. Did the battery in my HP Envy a couple of weeks ago. Did the M.2 SSD just before that. Easy if you're that way inclined or you've done it before. However the O/P has told us they arent.
    • Please dont make installing Win10 in to some sort of unique experience that we all must do alone with all these personalised unique "options" that the person must learn about themselves. It can and is done as a matter of course by your average computer shop.
    • Every brand new computer you'd buy comes pre-installed with Window10 and the world continues to turn just fine - no need to do it yourself.
    • I think you need to look up the definition of "competent". The O/P has already told us they arent comfortable doing it, and that "fiddly" and him arent compatable.
    • If you've worked with him before, then clearly you havent inspired a lot of confidence in him to jump in there and do this.
    • Why insist someone does something they're clearly not comfortable doing?

Wholly not the thread i was referring to but heres one you seem involved with

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5901282&page=3

Running for 4 days now and he hasnt got Win10 even downloaded yet. If the O/P of this thread is happy to be spoonfed on an internet forum and have no laptop for the duration, then fine.

Personally, for the sake say £20-40 for an hour or twos labour, i'd be dropping it in to the computer store hes already happy with, with the parts and get them to do it.

I'm really not sure why you cant accept thats a valid option?
  • motorguy
    Options

The suggestion of paying them to install Windows 10 is a poor one.
    Trying to cover your suggestion as a one stop solution' just won't do.

Its not a poor suggestion. Its bread and butter to your average computer shop. If you're taking it there anyway to do the hardware end of it then its an option to get them to stick Win10 on while its there.

And i'm not trying to "cover" anything.

Saying Win10 is something that someone must do themselves because of all the "personalisation" is frankly laughable.

If the O/P wants to then fine, if they dont want to, then fine also. The world wont stop turning.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    And yet you do the same thing...

... but saying as you find other peoples long posts horrible, i'll bullet point it
    • I've already said at £75 the Samsung drive is worth the extra
    • Some people may prefer not to buy from Amazon France. I've no issues with buying from european Amazon sites, personally, however some people may. I was just letting the O/P know there were options.
    • I have given the O/P options RE: sourcing a drive. He can do as he wishes, he doesnt need forced to do one thing or another, which you seem intent on doing.
    • I said 1-2 hours as i would have thought your average computer shop would stick it down as a minimum charge of maybe 2 hours labour. It could be done in an hour, however i didnt want to set the expectation with the O/P to only expect an hours labour as it might be more depending on the business and their minimum charge, for example.
    • I am perfectly aware how long it takes to install Win10. I've done it many many times.
    • I am perfectly aware how long it would take to swap out a drive and battery. I've done it many many times. Did the battery in my HP Envy a couple of weeks ago. Did the M.2 SSD just before that. Easy if you're that way inclined or you've done it before. However the O/P has told us they arent.
    • Please dont make installing Win10 in to some sort of unique experience that we all must do alone with all these personalised unique "options" that the person must learn about themselves. It can and is done as a matter of course by your average computer shop.
    • Every brand new computer you'd buy comes pre-installed with Window10 and the world continues to turn just fine - no need to do it yourself, no need to do it yourself.
    • I think you need to look up the definition of "competent". The O/P has already told us they arent comfortable doing it, and that "fiddly" and him arent compatable.
    • If you've worked with him before, then clearly you havent inspired a lot of confidence in him to jump in there and do this.
    • Why insist someone does something they're clearly not comfortable doing?

Wholly not the thread i was referring to but heres one you seem involved with

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5901282&page=3

Running for 4 days now and he hasnt got Win10 even downloaded yet. If the O/P of this thread is happy to be spoonfed on an internet forum and have no laptop for the duration, then fine.

Personally, for the sake say £20-40 for an hour or twos labour, i'd be dropping it in to the computer store hes already happy with, with the parts and get them to do it.

I'm really not sure why you cant accept thats a valid option?

Why do you insist on posting rubbish? Why not post the link to which you were referring, as opposed to an unrelated link?

You've got it wrong there too. They have both Windows 7 and Windows 10 downloaded.
    They cannot install yet, as the new drive hasn't arrived.
    They have already fitted the RAM themselves

So what is your point? None I guess. It's just you trying to score points but failing.

Link to the thread to which you were referring. You made an assertion, so let's see the evidence. I maintain it is a falsehood.

Your posts are just a waste of time in reading. You've just plucked a figure out of the air and are running with it. You have no idea as to what the hourly fee might be and you have no idea as to the veracity/provenance of any software that might be installed to the OP's device.

Installing yourself, eradicates that issue and allows you, once again, to disable much of the telemetry in the first instance.
    How would you be saving time if you have to go back to change the password and go into each and every settings tab in order to disable everything?
    Will the shop just take the path of least resistance? Likely you'll paying them to make more work for yourself.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Its not a poor suggestion. Its bread and butter to your average computer shop. If you're taking it there anyway to do the hardware end of it then its an option to get them to stick Win10 on while its there.

And i'm not trying to "cover" anything.

Saying Win10 is something that someone must do themselves because of all the "personalisation" is frankly laughable.

If the O/P wants to then fine, if they dont want to, then fine also. The world wont stop turning.

This is a website dedicated to saving money. Do you miss that?

So paying someone to do something that you can definitely do better for yourself(and should, for the reasons I have underlined earlier) is against it's most basic ethos.
    It's also a bit stupid, unless one is really pressed for time.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,445 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hang fire guys ... please :)

I'm more than happy to do a clean install of W10, as E/W said, I can then personalise (with an S not a Z) it to suit myself and copy whatever data I need.

I have opened laptops before and removed hard drives, memory and batteries, but only when it's simply a 'unscrew the back' and 'pull out the components'.
    I will ask 'local guy' tomorow and make an informed decision - IIRC, he was £25/hr last time (Midlands currency, not Landan!! ;))

The only time I have entertained a more major disassembly, it went badly wrong. (Not that it mattered as it was a 'spilt brew' scenario and the rather old machine was beyond repair - HD included)

Anyway, back on topic.

One of the SSD's suggested will be fine.

My 8GB RAM will also be fine.

A generic replacement battery will be satisfactory, will it?

Thanks all
  • motorguy
    Options
    J_B wrote: »

I'm more than happy to do a clean install of W10, as E/W said, I can then personalise (with an S not a Z) it to suit myself and copy whatever data I need.

I have opened laptops before and removed hard drives, memory and batteries, but only when it's simply a 'unscrew the back' and 'pull out the components'.
    I will ask 'local guy' tomorow and make an informed decision - IIRC, he was £25/hr last time (Midlands currency, not Landan!! ;))

The only time I have entertained a more major disassembly, it went badly wrong. (Not that it mattered as it was a 'spilt brew' scenario and the rather old machine was beyond repair - HD included)

Anyway, back on topic.

Thanks all

Yup all sounds good. :beer:
    • Yes, one of those SSD's will be fine. The Samsung is better if the price differential continues to be minimal.
    • Your 8GB is plenty
    • A generic battery from a reputable ebay seller will be fine.

Let us know how you get on with your local guy. Its a 30 min job tops to do the battery and SSD fitting but he may have a minimum charge.

:)
  • J_B
    edited 30 September 2018 at 10:31PM
    Options
    Hmm - quote system won't work! :(
    <<and that you find the right tools and at least give it a go.>>

small screwdriver set ... OK?
  • EveryWhere
    Options

Anyway, back on topic.

Thanks all

I cannot speak to the generic battery. Only, if it turns out to be less than stellar, that you would need to open the thing up again.

When I wrote about the keyboard ribbon being fiddly, perhaps I was being too cautious. It really is nothing;

illustrates it a little better. But if you trust a repair shop better than yourself and the price is reasonable....

It's still a good spec and cheaper than buying a new laptop. Any SSD will bring significant improvement, but if you are going to pay to have the part fitted and then the part fails, are you going to pay to have it done again once the part is replaced?
    Which is why I suggest that one gets the best in the first instance and that you find the right tools and at least give it a go.
    If you get stuck, you can take it to the shop anyway.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    Hmm - quote system won't work! :(
    <<and that you find the right tools and at least give it a go.>>

small screwdriver set ... OK?

Yes of course.
    The only issue is that you have to pry the cover containing the keyboard off once you have removed the screws. So you might want to use something that doesn't scratch the plastic. Just keep going around and be gentle.
    Better to take another five minutes to get it off, than to scratch the casing or crack the plastic because you forget to remove a screw and tried to force it off anyway.
    That is the hardest part.
    Swapping the parts is simple enough.
  • J_B
    Options
    I wouldn't substitute a Sandisk Plus for the Samsung EVO 860. Happily, around 75 pounds is the current price on Amazon France, so they hopefully won't need to make that choice.

This one?

https://www.amazon.fr/Samsung-SSD-860-Evo-500/dp/B078WQT6S6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1538413252&sr=8-4&keywords=samsung+860+evo+ssd

for €84.90?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport