The end of procrastination and disorganisation.......

Options

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,194 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you tried taking 'before' photos? So eventually you will be able to prove your progress to yourself.

Well done for the debt busting - and two sticks of rhubarb is two more than I have. :)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    As long as you keep going by Christmas it will be a different house. That is a good goal. I might steal that thought for myself...

Hope you have a good Sunday :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Have you tried taking 'before' photos? So eventually you will be able to prove your progress to yourself.

Well done for the debt busting - and two sticks of rhubarb is two more than I have. :)

Before and after photos is a brilliant idea, I bet that would motivate you :T.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks guys. I have taken before photos previously but its been a while and I'm a bit rounder. :o

I'm having brown rice, haddock, peas and spring onion mixture for lunch. Its delicious. I will defnately be eating better on this plan. :D

I just get irritated with the house because it never looks any different no matter what I do or how much I throw out.:mad: I will just have to keep going.

A half day at work tomorrow before a hospital appointment. Roll on tomorrow night.

Right ho. Time to finish my food the pottering.

Xxx
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,168 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your lunch sounds delicious - I CBA to cook because its too hard given the state of the kitchen. This doesn't help my diet.

Like you I used to get annoyed by the state of the house but it's finally getting there with only two rooms left to do. When I did the bathroom I used to spend a lot of time in there - it felt like a different house to everything else and reminded me of what the rest could be like.

Of course, before that I had to do heating and windows and the roof and loft insulation - but the moment the bathroom was done was a real breakthrough. I've still got the kitchen and utility to go, and there's plenty of snagging (when isn't there with builders) like the rest of the hearth in the sitting room, but I know that it won't be long before I'll be living in a normal house.

If you need a lift before you can do things properly, I suggest emptying one room at a time and slapping some paint on the walls (my first round of decorating used paint donated by friends who were clearing out plus a lot of contract white). Making things look clean and fresh helps. And taking everything out tends to reduce what you put back in because it all looks so nice empty. And it can help with the planning as well, as you start to think about where you want sockets or radiators or lights, and how you want to reconfigure bathrooms.

You will get there... I felt as if I never would (especially after paying for 17 new windows), but I'm now very close.
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    I was actually thinking of before photos of the house, but diet-wise I've seen them recommended as well. I take photos of work on mum's house: it's nice to have a record that shows I've made a difference because progress there is very slow!

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
  • parsniphead
    Options
    I was actually thinking of before photos of the house, but diet-wise I've seen them recommended as well. I take photos of work on mum's house: it's nice to have a record that shows I've made a difference because progress there is very slow!

:rotfl: Oops sorry, I'm such an idiot :rotfl:

I do have before and after photos of the house. Well before, the after is still to arrive.

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
  • parsniphead
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    Your lunch sounds delicious - I CBA to cook because its too hard given the state of the kitchen. This doesn't help my diet.

Like you I used to get annoyed by the state of the house but it's finally getting there with only two rooms left to do. When I did the bathroom I used to spend a lot of time in there - it felt like a different house to everything else and reminded me of what the rest could be like.

Of course, before that I had to do heating and windows and the roof and loft insulation - but the moment the bathroom was done was a real breakthrough. I've still got the kitchen and utility to go, and there's plenty of snagging (when isn't there with builders) like the rest of the hearth in the sitting room, but I know that it won't be long before I'll be living in a normal house.

If you need a lift before you can do things properly, I suggest emptying one room at a time and slapping some paint on the walls (my first round of decorating used paint donated by friends who were clearing out plus a lot of contract white). Making things look clean and fresh helps. And taking everything out tends to reduce what you put back in because it all looks so nice empty. And it can help with the planning as well, as you start to think about where you want sockets or radiators or lights, and how you want to reconfigure bathrooms.

You will get there... I felt as if I never would (especially after paying for 17 new windows), but I'm now very close.

It sounds like you can see a light greenbee. The windows are the bit I'm dreading, well the cost of them anyway.

• parsniphead
    Options
    Will I ever get my DS to settle. He has always been a nightmare to get to sleep.

I have been watching hoarding. Its absolutely fascinating and does put stuff into perspective really regarding my home. Goodness, how do these people cope with what they have in their homes.

I'm going to try and focus on one room this week and get all of the clutter cleared. I'm a bit of a devil for putting stuff into bags and putting it somewhere else so it can be sorted at a later date. I have also decided to make Wednesday my visit the charity shop day. I can always pop in before picking up DS from school.

One area to try to sort is paperwork. A lot of my stuff is online and the rest of the important stuff is in a wallet but I still have loads I worry about throwing away. Its stupid really as its stuff I never look at or need so it should go.

Right off to bed in a minute but tomorrow morning in the half hour dead zone I'm going to spend time on the bedroom. Perhaps I may even crack out the polish. :rotfl:

Night all. X

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    the after is still to arrive.

The 'after' is on the way. :)

Love greenbee's idea of working on a room at a time then painting it white. I think that's roughly how I need to approach work on Mum's old house. I have certainly 'wasted' sorting time by applying quite a lot of white paint! I think I'm the only one who thinks this is worth doing but to me it makes a huge difference.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport