What small DFW things will you do w/c 11th Feb?

Options
1LuckyLady
1LuckyLady Posts: 1,206 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
edited 11 February 2019 at 5:16AM in Debt-free wannabe
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important! :money:
Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.

Comments

• 1LuckyLady
    edited 11 February 2019 at 6:30PM
    Options
    Morning all, I've been awake since 3am so have decided to get up and make myself useful.
    My low mood/lack of sleep is affected at the minute by uncertainty with the rental house and my car problems. Hoping that the contracts are signed for the house early today and so that we can get things moving and hopefully that will help settle me down.

Todays list
    * dishwasher on the quick wash done& emptydone
    * check banking/update spreadsheet and email copy back to myself as a back up done
    * tidy up my email inboxes to make sure nothing gets forgotten/missed - 3 cleared inboxes - some online tickets we'd been expecting had gone into junk by mistake
    * update freezer list which dropped off my list last week done, plenty in there to make meals this week, just got to be organised. Taken some ys sliced chorizo out too as thats needed in the chicken dish tonight
    * go to the dentist as I lost my cap last week, lucky to have an nhs dentist done
    * collect & pay for car when its ready done
    * make a chicken dish for tonight using spice mixes from use up box - have 2 sets of spices for this so will make double may as well cook once/eat twice cooking now
    - also will boil extra eggs for packed lunch fillings at the same time done
    * make families lunches for tomorrow done
    * write up new shopping list as will need to shop tomorrow for carrots/bread at the minimum done, not a huge list and could easily what until tomorrow but depending on what time car is ready it might be worth getting it today as aldee is very close to the garage :think: - rarely go shopping without a list these days, it really does help
    * wash a load on the quick 30 degree wash done
    * hang ^^ on radiators to dry when heating goes on tonight (heating off until the kids come home at the earliest) done
    * ys bread for ds1's breakfast with eggs as usual done
    * ds2 to free school breakfast club done
    * gym class & refill water bottle -done
    * ring charity shop to arrange furniture collection from other house done
    * tip run or two - quite a bit to actually go to the tip "shop" rather then landfill done well not done but someone I was talking too wanted some of the stuff instead :):) win : win
    * didn't check with extended family about pickups/childcare as my car was poorly yesterday and I forgot so need to do that quite early on and update/sync calendars - this saves us money every week! done
    * ask dh to print off some tickets for us at work done
    * record mileage done
    ** Booked for the council to collect some bulky waste items as we can't get them in a car -

* share bath water and continue use up of lotions and potions (and let hair dry naturally as usual)

Thats my starter, hopefully I'll be back to add lots more as feeling like we've achieved and ticked things off definietly helps!

Have a good week all.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    Morning 1LL - jeeps your lists make my eyes water! Hope you managed to get back to sleep x

Today is going to be a slow and relaxing day for me :D

Need to get madam's things ready for school as didn't do yesterday :o - iron clothes, polish shoes, pack bag, make lunch. Better get a wiggle on!

After that - walking pup, tidy/clean house, sewing - didn't finish my jumpsuit as ds decided he and his gf were coming round for afternoon & roast. He brought all the things needed, and it was lovely to spend time with them. His new gf is lovely! Really something about her <3

That's my entire plans for the day! :D I will check onepoll as well ;-)
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • Baileys_Babe
    Options
    1LL Thank you for starting this week's thread :A I hope you managed to get some sleep and that your stresses are soon resolved.

I'm not feeling the love, both physically and mentally I'm not right, not really bad, just not right, guess I will just keep plodding for now.

Today's list:
    PAD
    Make bread
    Make porridge
    Stick to meal plan
    Write shopping list
    Go shopping and stick to list
    Ferry children to todays activities and training
    Pack snacks and drinks to take with us
    Take hot drink in my thermal mug, this has saved me a fortune over the 6+ years I have had it
    Home educate the children
    Correctly delivered survey
    Turn off lights and appliances not in use
    Open curtains to make the most of the light
    Close curtains before dark to retain the heat
    Light stove
    Put kettles on top for free hot water, we make good use of this for drinks and cooking
    Wash hair and let it dry naturally
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • merida88
    merida88 Posts: 116 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    :hello: quick wave... *subscribing*

Thanks 1LL for the new thread... will post properly later :D
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 12 February 2019 at 9:13AM
    Options
    Morning folks!

Thanks to 1LL for starting us off

Welcome to Emzmom - please come and join us again this week

Lots of huge lists going on!

Well I thoroughly recommend Barcelona to anyone who is thinking of going. It's a really fun, relaxed city with lots to do.

Back to normality now, but in a nice way. I quite like my routines. That's what makes breaking them so fun!

Today's mission:
    • B/L/D from stores. I even put a loaf of bread on last night when we got in *polishes halo* - done
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • Heating left on timer - 1 hour in the morning and 1 in the evening. - popped it on longer
    • Ask OH to strip the bed
    • Gym at lunchtime - cruddy time. Too much lingering cold
    • No crochet today - My hand is a bit tingly - possibly from crocheting on the plane. Will give it a rest - done
    • Put away my (neverending) washing pile - done
    • No alcohol - done
    Have a good one all

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • Morning all!

I'm not doing a huge list today as I'm still playing catch-up from my last huge list.

Day off so a quick tidy up already done and kitchen cleaned.

It's very damp here but the forecast is sun/breeze soon so I've chanced the bedding on the line. We recently changed our whirly-gig line to a traditional long one, in the hope things have more of a chance to dry in our lovely Welsh weather!

It's a strange day as DH has an interview this morning (right now in fact). I think I'm more nervous than him as it will take him from a zero-hours to contracted, with a good work/life balance. I've been 'interviewing' him all weekend and have everything crossed!!! We never have time together without the kids so will take the opportunity to go for a walk and a coffee before school run.

I've been asked by DS 2&3 to finish their Super Mario scarves today, so a little bit of crochet later. Then I just need to sew the bits together and I'll try to finish it before I pick them up.

That's pretty much it! There are many piles of doom to sort through, so I'm going to tackle a couple throughout the day, but nothing heavy.

Dinner from freezer (HM shepherds pie), and I need to pick over yesterday's roast chicken to put back in the freezer. Oh, and clean the hamster cage (which hamster hates - he doesn't like me cleaning out his stinky bed/food store. Unfortunately he also uses the space a as a toilet, so I can't leave him be too long...:rotfl: )

Have fun folks.

Ooh, sun has started to shine and the sheets are starting to 'blow'. Hoping they dry fully!
  • Emzmom88
    Emzmom88 Posts: 172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello,
    Yes i have come back to join you again this week!!

At work atm,dd off work with oh as shes still poorly so wont get much done this evening when im back!!tea in sc...spag bol!! I do need to pop to get more shampoo and toothpaste today but those are my only spends for today!no brownies tonight so ive saved £2 there so i will use it for the bits i need above!! Shopping and spending on useless things is my big downfall!! So i am trying to reduce it as much as i can!!

I am going to have a look fora few items for fleabay if i can sell a couple of things (as min) a week that will help pay more off other bills or if i leave it for anything i run out of that will help...2 weeks ago it paid for new hoover bags so felt free lol!!

My other jobs for today

● I dont have a washing line so will put my airer outside and hopefully freshen up some washing for free
    ● have a look in the shed for unwanted toys of dd i know 100% i have a gokart that was only used once that can go but will see what else i have
    ● maybe have a little play about with my new sewing machine (present for birthday as it worked out cheaper than paying to have 2 sets of curtains turned up) and see how to make some new scrunchies for dd...i havent used one for 15 years so need to get some practice first!!

See you soon and thanks for havin me xx
  • carrielovesfanta
    Options
    Emzmom88 wrote: »
    Hello,
    Yes i have come back to join you again this week!!

At work atm,dd off work with oh as shes still poorly so wont get much done this evening when im back!!tea in sc...spag bol!! I do need to pop to get more shampoo and toothpaste today but those are my only spends for today!no brownies tonight so ive saved £2 there so i will use it for the bits i need above!! Shopping and spending on useless things is my big downfall!! So i am trying to reduce it as much as i can!!

I hope your dd is better soon.

If you have a Home Bargains/B&M type store near you, toothpaste is much cheaper. I like the colgate anti-tartar one. It's £1 in B&M and £4 in Asda :eek:
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Hi emzmom welcome to thread. Thanks 1LL for starting us offf, hope you both got some sleep and your stresses have subsided. Bb you too, take care of yourself too.

Didn't get time to post a list this morning. So it's a mixture of have/will
    Check banking
    More washing
    Enjoying the sunshine :D
    Hot drink and leftovers for lunch/commute
    Leftovers for tea
    Put a return in my car for another day
    A walk hopefully later to get my step count up
    Check postcode lottery thing
    Check for surveys
    Do something as a family later, for free as we should all be in the same place at the same time which is unusual in the week ;)

Hope everyone is ok. Purps.
  • 1LuckyLady
    Options
    Thanks all, I did get back to bed at about 5am so got a couple more hours rest thankfully.
    The day is improving,
    - I have my car back and would recommend AutoAid for breakdown cover, that was a tip I took a couple of years ago from on here. Much much cheaper then the big names and they got someone out to us within 15mins
    - new tenant has signed contract so come the weekend, I should be able to stop thinking about it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure