Options

Comments

• bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    They have only been offered 11 and a half percent over 3 years, :eek::eek:

From what I have read (outwith of the tabloid press) it is not the 11% on offer that the workforce is unhappy with.

However, the press will spin it that “greedy BA staff strike over 11% pay rise” and that is exactly how BA want it reported of course.
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Its always a load of **** when the Unions say they dont want to disrupt passengers. That is their no1 aim, for the simple reason more passengers = more money for BA = more money lost during strike action. The best way to get a companies attention is to hit them where it hurts, in their wallet. The more they're likely to lose from strike action, the more likely they will be to give in to demands.

Why do you think contract renegotiation times are always during the busy season? They have more powet to negotiate then thats why
  • bobblebob
    Options
    bagand96 wrote: »
    From what I have read (outwith of the tabloid press) it is not the 11% on offer that the workforce is unhappy with.

However, the press will spin it that “greedy BA staff strike over 11% pay rise” and that is exactly how BA want it reported of course.

You would think BA would lose alot more money in lost revenue/compensation etc than just accepting the Unions demands
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Options

So, do you know what their issue is?:)

I don't deny anyone their right to withhold their labour. There are too many unscrupulous, greedy employers around IMO. But I would like to know what the dispute is about.
  • bagand96
    Options
    maman wrote: »

I don't deny anyone their right to withhold their labour. There are too many unscrupulous, greedy employers around IMO. But I would like to know what the dispute is about.
    maman wrote: »

I don’t profess to be an expert, and I’m not personally involved, but from what I’ve read....

Since the last aviation downturn, all BA employment groups have faced huge changes to their working conditions, T&C’s, working practices etc. Much of this was accepted, even if begrudgingly, to help re-shape the company to face the demands of the changing market and be able to compete with low cost airlines etc. Anyone who flies with BA knows how much it’s changed from a passenger perspective in the last decade - it seems it’s certainly changed for the staff as well.

I think much of the contention is that in one way or another BA’s strategy has worked in terms of profit generation - the airline is currently a bit of a cash cow and is making more money now than it ever has. The pilots and their union feel that they did their bit to help get the airline to this point - but now are not being recognised or rewarded now that times are good.

Another red flag is the 11% comes with some strings - that are quite vague but hold the union to further negotiations regarding changes to T&Cs and working practices.

It’s a familiar story, and not unique to aviation - when times are bad, companies expect cuts and changes from the workforce. When times are better they are far less keen to share in the success.
  • bobblebob
    Options
    I don’t profess to be an expert, and I’m not personally involved, but from what I’ve read....

Since the last aviation downturn, all BA employment groups have faced huge changes to their working conditions, T&C’s, working practices etc. Much of this was accepted, even if begrudgingly, to help re-shape the company to face the demands of the changing market and be able to compete with low cost airlines etc. Anyone who flies with BA knows how much it’s changed from a passenger perspective in the last decade - it seems it’s certainly changed for the staff as well.

I think much of the contention is that in one way or another BA’s strategy has worked in terms of profit generation - the airline is currently a bit of a cash cow and is making more money now than it ever has. The pilots and their union feel that they did their bit to help get the airline to this point - but now are not being recognised or rewarded now that times are good.

Another red flag is the 11% comes with some strings - that are quite vague but hold the union to further negotiations regarding changes to T&Cs and working practices.

It’s a familiar story, and not unique to aviation - when times are bad, companies expect cuts and changes from the workforce. When times are better they are far less keen to share in the success.

Unions will get their way eventually, just depends on long BA take to realise this.

Northern Rail staff were on strike for over a year over conditions. Northern failed to meet their demands so there were weekly strikes. In the end Northern Rail caved in. So all that lost revenue, staff not working, passengers unhappy and for what. Could have been over alot quicker
  • malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    UNITE and BASSA who represent 90% of BA employees have already accepted the deal. It’s just BAPLA who have not. Why are 90% satisfied, while the other 10% are not?

Can’t blame a greedy company if 90% are happy.
    Legal team on standby
  • bobblebob
    Options
    malkie76 wrote: »
    UNITE and BASSA who represent 90% of BA employees have already accepted the deal. It’s just BAPLA who have not. Why are 90% satisfied, while the other 10% are not?

It happens. The NHS pay deal was rejected by the GMB but accepted by all other Unions.

According to BA it would cost them 40 million per day of strike action. BAPLA claim that:
    “On BA’s own figures submitted to the court, even a single day of strike action will cost far more than we believe it would take to settle this dispute."]

Seems BA would be stupid not to settle if those figures are correct
  • johncas1
    johncas1 Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What happens if they strike on day of return flight will I get back same day on another airline as I fly back on Monday and have to be at work Tuesday as some passengers have booked flights and hotels separately and might not get a refund on hotel
  • bagand96
    edited 31 July 2019 at 8:53PM
    Options
    malkie76 wrote: »

Perhaps because BASSA and Unite don’t represent the pilots?

It’s the pilots and what BA have asked of BALPA, and what they have given up over the past few years that seem to be the issue here. 93% of the pilots voted in favour of the strike action so it would seem something is wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure