Discussion thread on Supermarket prices - are they becoming too high?

Options
Last night I was in Asda buying the usual suspects and was horrified to notice a price increase of 13 pence on a pack of bakery granary rolls!!! These rolls used to be 52p AND on the 3 for £1 offer. So now if I buy 12 rolls I'll have to pay £1.95 instead of £1 :mad:
I called Asda customer care and asked for an explanation - I was told it was a supplier issue, despite it being an instore bakery item. Asda are all for their "roll back" promotions but the way I see it they can roll back 12 items by a penny and knock it all out by adding 13p onto a pack of four rolls. This is a 25% increase but in real terms if you take the old price and the offer into consideration it is a 95% increase on the purchase. I'm not impressed :mad:
Has anyone else noticed "back door" increases? I had been thinking that my shopping bill was creeping up.

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,527 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    How can Asda do a Roll Back without increasing the prices first?

If all roll backs had been off a single price Asda would be paying customers to remove items from the shelf!
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    Options
    tesco do the same
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • ernie-money
    ernie-money Posts: 815 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 February 2010 at 2:36PM
    Options
    Hi all,

I usually do my online shop with Tesco, when I can find a code that offsets the delivery cost, and sometimes also with Asda. I ususally do my "non-online" shopping with either of the two as well.
    A few months ago I saw that they did an offer of £10 off your first shop, so I thought I'd gicve them a go, but when I started filling my basket, everything seemed a lot more expensive than Tesco and Asda, and the difference seemed to "eat up" the whole tenner discount, so I gave up. Now with Martins email, highlighting the £15 off £60, I thought I might try again - surely it must be worth it now? But I still think it seems dearer. Saying that, i'm usually quite flexible with my shopping, and buy whatever is on special offer, not a slave to brand names or anything like that, but there just doesn't seem to be that many good offers at Waitrose, but maybe their usual prices are ok? I'm sure it's cheaper than shopping at Sainsbury's, but if you're more of a budget end shopper like myself - is Waitrose worth it or not?
    I don't think I can hang on til Friday...
  • rsykes2000
    rsykes2000 Posts: 2,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I shop at Morrisons, as it's by far the most convenient (closest by a long way and have no car). To me, Waitrose is indeed quite expensive.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There's their own brand essential range http://www.waitrose.com/food/productranges/essential.aspx
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Waitrose is far better quality, I'm not sure I would be 'comparing' it with places like Asda or Tesco, it's just a different shopping experience all round..

They seem to price match Tesco and Morrisons on a lot of things like essentials veg. I have noticed some items actually cheaper as well and some items I will go especially to buy there. The reduced price veg there is also really good quality, reduced price veg in other supermarkets seems about to or partly going off.

Just pays to shop around, compare prices, check offers and that goes for any supermarket. I don't do all of my shopping in any one shop.
  • fiscalfreckles
    Options
    Waitrose is more expensive than Tesco, Asda or Morrisons. Yes, they do have offers but I consider it a bit like doing a food shop in M&S. Very good quality though.
  • jennieshrew
    Options
    I've been trying to split a big online shopping order into two smaller orders, one with Asda and one with Tesco as each is cheaper for certain things.

I'm using mysupermarket.co.uk which is great for comparing the prices of things but i'm finding that the supermarkets are being really really sneaky in stopping me comparing prices.

Many of the branded things i'm buying such as Tilda Basmati rice, Hellmans Mayo come in different sizes in the two supermarkets im comparing. I think that is really sneaky as it means that mysupermarket wont find a comparable item to compare against so Tescos is always coming out cheaper as it substitutes the Asda item for a more expensive product.

I know this is all a bit over the top moaning about this but it just struck me that that they must have done it on purpose. :mad:
    :A
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    it's not the supermarkets that are doing this, it's the mysupermarket site.

The supermarkets just supply a list of items with price/size etc. mysupermarket decides which items it will show you and when.

The reason Tesco comes up cheaper is because mysupermarket gets paid more by tesco when someone makes an online order for the first time by going through their site.

Any comparison site is only there to make money, and they will do what is best for them, not you.
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What is disgusting is people cheapening the value of real food. To be outraged at the prospect of paying 16p for a roll is crazy. And to want to pay 8p is obscene.

It is because of customers like you it is more and more difficult to buy real food on the high street. Hang your head in shame. Quality, not quantity. Or price.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure