Discussion thread on Supermarket prices - are they becoming too high?

Options

Comments

• gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    its up to the customer to check the price per kg, if people cant manage that then god help them but clearly you check the price per kg

Actually not always possible to check the price per kilo. Certainly wasnt possible with the bananas, the basics are marked as a unit price and the loose ones are marked by kilo. I just took the loose ones to one of the self weigh things to see how much they were and was pleasantly surprised by how much cheaper they were.

But generally you are right, it takes me a bit longer to to a shop now than it used to as i check and double check the price per kilo, thankfully my math skills are not too bad:p
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • stamfordblue
    Options
    sb44 wrote: »
    Their basics shortbread has gone up to 21p from about 14p a couple of weeks ago.

Has the weight changed though?
    Better off buying the Value shortbread from Tesco.
    Still only 9p for 125g and tastes much better than Sainsburys imo.
    If it's not a bargain, it's not worth buying :D
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Actually not always possible to check the price per kilo. Certainly wasnt possible with the bananas, the basics are marked as a unit price and the loose ones are marked by kilo. I just took the loose ones to one of the self weigh things to see how much they were and was pleasantly surprised by how much cheaper they were.

But generally you are right, it takes me a bit longer to to a shop now than it used to as i check and double check the price per kilo, thankfully my math skills are not too bad:p

I always weigh the bag of basics bananas on the scales to check their price if I bought them loose. Previously basics were always cheaper but last week I think they were a 1p more expensive :(

Basics carrots last time I went were 9p per kilo more expensive than the loose ones. I always try and compare prices before shopping although I confess it's not always possible for me to remember the weight and size of stuff whilst juggling young kids :o
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    nalue chocolate block seems to go up and down a lot...last week 49p then 2o something pence
    onwards and upwards
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    Options
    Has the weight changed though?
    Better off buying the Value shortbread from Tesco.
    Still only 9p for 125g and tastes much better than Sainsburys imo.

Where are you finding it at 9p? Most Tescos have been selling it at 29p for a while now (after a one-day wonder of charging £1.29!!).
  • charlies-aunt
    charlies-aunt Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    Options
    Basics prices are certainly on the up...and quality is on the down :eek:

Its always worth picking the biggest bag of prebagged stuff and weighing it to compare value.

For example last week prebagged Sainsburys carrots were £1 per kg, Basics carrots were 80p for a 1 kilo bag and loose carrots were 70p per kilo...but I got 1.6kgs in my 1kg Basics bag so they worked out at 50p per kilo.

Must be the off season for bananas though - the ones I've had recently have been tasteless with a strange wooly texture
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• Aesop
    Aesop Posts: 23,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hasn't anyone noticed that when Sainsbury's do their discount offers - is it tue or wed, the prices change? That although they reduce some stuff, and it is a bargain at that price, they increase the prices on other goods. This is how they keep making their money.

Since being on a really tight budget, I noticed this the first week I was trying to shop. Pease Pudding cans were only 19p, which was great, a real bargain, but they had increased prices on other things to compensate for it.
  • JAG
    JAG Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    aureol212 wrote: »
    Hasn't anyone noticed that when Sainsbury's do their discount offers - is it tue or wed, the prices change? That although they reduce some stuff, and it is a bargain at that price, they increase the prices on other goods. This is how they keep making their money.

I thought this is how all Supermarkets do their promotions. Give big dicounts that they can advertise while putting up other items that they are not comparing with a rival to keep the overall income around the same.
  • RHYSDAD
    RHYSDAD Posts: 2,346 Forumite
    Options
    The supermarkets will rob you blind as sson as they sniff an increase in sales on something. We try to spend as little as possible in them and make most of stuff at home....
    "Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."

Chinese Proverb

• JodyBPM
    JodyBPM Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Options
    I've really noticed my online Tesco shop becoming more expensive. My fortnightly "staples" shop used to be around £60, but its gradually crept up to around £85 (not my entire shopping budget, I top up fresh stuff weekly and butchers meat too!)

I know all supermarkets have put their prices up, but the thing I'm noticing is Tesco seem to be discontinuing a lot of their value range, and replacing with "discount brands", which are a lot more expensive than the old value range (eg from my delivery store I can no longer get Value apple juice (56p) so they suggest the discount brand alternative at 79p. That's quite a big difference as my children get through cartons of the stuff! I can also no longer get value peppers, value diswasher tabs and a multitude of other value items. The bringing in of discount brands just seems to be an excuse to put the prices up to me:( I'm really noticing this, as a lot of the stuff I buy online tends to be the basic stuff (where value items work fine), with fresh fruit and veg, and butchers meat/fishmonger fish etc more likely to be picked up locally.

I can get my shopping delivered by Asda, but its a bit of a hassle, as I don't have a favourites list, and more importantly, I've not often used Asda's products as they are not somewhere I travel to normally, so I would have to go through the process of discovering which products I like (eg value, own brand, branded etc)

Is this upping of prices across the board? Or am I likely to get better value from Asda?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure