Saving for my first bricks and mortar...

Options

Comments

• Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This month has sucked so far. I've "only" managed to put £200 away this month. House insurance, allotment bill and a bloody great dentist bill have seen to that :(

On the upside, my house insurance was dirt cheap, the dental bill is going on the credit card and I came home from work today to a cheque from British Gas :) only £13 but everything counts :rotfl:
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    At least you put some money away and you have nice gnashers!

I have been putting money in the moneybox because of you.:j:j
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Options
    August did suck. £216 put away :o

September will be better though because I've been doing some overtime at work which will be going in the saving pot. I've got some funds coming from reports too so no prizes for guessing where that'll be headed :rotfl:
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• savingwannabe
    Options
    £216 is still savings! That is fine. Hurrah for overtime. Weather is gorgeous here I have mowed the second third of the grass today.
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Options
    Already this month I've beaten last months amount :)

I keep all my £2 coins and then drop them into the bank when there's an amount worth taking in. I keep a tally of how many coins I have at the end of each month then start again. £85 banked last week - there was an odd £1 coin I found on the street :cool:

£13 cheque from British Gas and a few £'s from TCB totalled me up to £108 so I rounded it up to £150 and transferred it into my "high" savings account. Add in the £200 into my HTB ISA and I'm already at £350 this month and we aren't even a week in :j

This weekend we are having a free day out courtesy of work - hospitality and executive box at a local football game :D rugby is more my thing but he's an avid supporter of said team so it's a treat for him more than me really :rotfl: they'll feed us and there is a drinks kitty so that'll do me. The same tickets were available to the public at £75 each :D

I must learn to remember that saving is going to be swings and roundabouts. I like the high if saving a good amount each month so get really hard on myself when I don't reach my target :o it does average out though byt day to day, it can be a bit difficult for me to get my head round :o

Today is a good day though :D

• Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Well done on the savings this month ! I know what you mean about beating yourself up when you feel you haven't saved enough, I do that too even when I know that its not possible to save more on my budget ! I don't want to get fixated on savings at the cost of having a social life though
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Savings are great well done. Sometimes life gets in the way. The free football thing sounds great. A nice day out I hope. It's cold here. Hope you are ok up north and it isn't stormy. Have a good day.
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Options
    I'm a bit slow updating this month, sorry! £367 put away last month :)

I do have a sort of update though. We are looking at moving in with my parents. The house needs decorating first so we are doing that, and paying for it so doing it on the tightest of budgets. We could double our monthly savings by doing this, but it's a bit scary and so far already been very stressful.

My plan was to put the house saving on hold for a few months but I couldn't bring myself to not out anything away :o :rotfl: i think I'm just going to take it month by month for now. I surprised myself quite a lot when payday came around, the guilt I felt at the thought of not paying into my HTB ISA scared me :eek:

After putting this months away, I'm £120 short of £2000 so I'll be doing my best to achieve that :D

• savingwannabe
    Options
    Holy moly that's a big decision and a good financial one. Well done you. I hope your parents are great cooks and spoil you. You are nearly at £2000 which is fabulous.
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Options
    :dance: :dance: :dance: I have £2000!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

The plan is still to move in with my parents but the plan keeps getting put back for various reasons so we are up to about June so far :rotfl:

I admit to buying the treat of a lifetime this month - tickets for me and my best friend to see Pink in concert :j not until June though :o I was very good though and paid my half off my credit card straight away, courtesy of a payment for some extra work I'd done :D

i never thought six months ago when I started this that I'd be so happy to hit £2000 :j

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport