DLA fraud check

Options

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    krisskross wrote: »
    How else are they going to root out the cheats other than by medicals and investigating alerts from members of the public?

Members of the public generally know very little about what other peoples' needs are. Yes, a friendof mine knows I claim DLA and that I have various difficulties reading; but he doesn't know the full extent of my physical disabilities. (he does know all about my mental health problems though)
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Options
    sh1305 wrote: »
    I know at least 2 peple who hae been investigated for benefit fraud. They both had their benefits stopped during the investigation and were watched by DWP 24/7. Would you like that? No, thought not.

If you suspect them, you must have your facts 100% rght. Why should they be put through this, just because someone thinks they might be committing fraud?

Don't be naive. No one can possibly know 100%. One can however have suspicions which it is a citizens duty to report, and the DWPs decision whether or not there are grounds for investigation.

How do you suggest benefit fraud is uncovered? By waiting for cheats to own up?
  • Indie_Kid
    Options
    Don't be naive. No one can possibly know 100%. One can however have suspicions which it is a citizens duty to report, and the DWPs decision whether or not there are grounds for investigation.

But the suspicions have to be reasonable. Or are you seriouly suggesting that one day you may see someone d something they say they can't, they should get investiagte for supposed faud?
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • krisskross
    Options
    But the suspicions have to be reasonable. Or are you seriouly suggesting that one day you may see someone d something they say they can't, they should get investiagte for supposed faud?

If they can do something on a regular basis that they are claiming disability benefits on the grounds that they can't do it then yes I would report them.
  • Indie_Kid
    Options
    If they can do something on a regular basis that they are claiming disability benefits on the grounds that they can't do it then yes I would report them.

I said one day; not regular basis.
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Offering anonymity for anyone who reports benefit abuse is very important; it's just unfortunate when this is abused.
  • Indie_Kid
    Options
    Some of the time it's rather obvious who has reported it.
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • krisskross
    Options
    I said one day; not regular basis.

If they were claiming on the basis that they couldn't do it at all but I saw them doing it even if only now and then, then yes I would report fraud.
  • Indie_Kid
    Options
    I take it you have no idea what "better days" are?
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • krisskross
    edited 18 July 2010 at 9:14PM
    Options
    I take it you have no idea what "better days" are?

Of course I do. However if someone is saying they can NEVER do something then this is rather different to saying 'I can't usually do X Y or Z but if I have a really good day then it may be possible that I can'.

However the only people who know what exactly is written on a claim form are the DLA decision makers and the claimant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure