All change..... Determined to be solvent, single and successful

Options

Comments

• crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sounds as though you've had a really fantastic couple of days. I am feeling today like you were yesterday - bit ugh.
  • mumblingtaff
    mumblingtaff Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Get well soon Cat - it does pass! Paracetamol, diet coke and crisps work for me!
  • mumblingtaff
    Options
    Had a bit of a lazy afternoon - did a bit of tidying and caught up on Corrie and watched the Athletics. Then took the dog for a big walk and had a nice long shower, defuzz, and deep conditioned my hair.
    OH is coming over this evening, not sure about time because he's a useless timekeeper, he'll be here when he's here.

Good news - it looks like the suits have washed ok, they're currently drying on hangers but look ok so far.

Will have a think about what I want to achieve over the big holidays - I'm abroad for 2 of the 6 weeks but will go slowly potty if I don't have something to occupy me when I'm home, especially if the weather isn't great. I'm rubbish at doing nothing.
  • mumblingtaff
    Options
    Have woken up this morning to a stain on the bedroom ceiling - I think the cold water tank is leaking in the attic. The overflow pipe outside is also dripping - hmmmm......
    Have called an emergency plumber as the last thing I want is to ignore it and come home from holidays to a collapsed ceiling. He's supposedly coming between 12 and 1 today. I had something similar a couple of years ago that was easily fixed - turned out to be tiny stones in the water supply that had blocked something. Hopefully it's the same thing as it wasn't too expensive to rectify.

So, my plan to possibly take the dog to Wales today is on hold until I know what the score is.......
    OH did offer to stay around for the plumber but I'd rather do it myself and make sure it's clean and tidy afterwards and all paid for properly.

Have just been up to the attic to get my suitcase down and try to clear a path for him to the water tank - hope he's not too big! Have also walked the dog locally as its drizzling and he'll get mucky in the park.

I've just received the next Audible credit so I'll have a look for an audiobook to listen to on holiday - I have 4 new reading books too so will have plenty to keep me occupied.
    I've also had a think about things that need doing or will keep me occupied over the summer and will post a list soon. I'm sure it will grow as I go along.
  • mumblingtaff
    edited 16 August 2018 at 1:22PM
    Options
    Household
    Paint downstairs toilet - done
    Paint bathroom
    Tidy study and chuck unnecessary clutter - done
    Tidy out main wardrobe - done
    Get bedroom decorated
    Sort shower room refit
    Sort shoes - done
    Tidy out storage box in downstairs loo - done
    Clean microwave - done
    Clean fridge - done
    Tidy out boot of car - done
    Clean conservatory blinds
    Take old TV to the tip
    Tidy out cupboard under the stairs - done
    Charity shop donations - done
    Sort the leak in the attic - done
    Investigate getting dining room chairs reupholstered
    Wash winter coats - done

Shopping
    Buy new work shoes and 2 suits - done
    Dry cleaning - done
    Buy new bras - done
    Buy makeup using Selfridges vouchers - done
    Sort out phone upgrade - done
    Buy new running gear

Health and Wellbeing
    Lose 7 lbs
    Get eyebrows done
    Run x3 a week - doing ok so far
    Medical appointments
    Register at the dentist
    Cook more rather than eat convenience food - so far so good
    Get back into the habit of taking vitamins and calcium daily - back on track

Leisure
    Investigate TV options for subscriptions - installed Amazon fire stick I forgot I had, it's like a whole new world!
    Use meerkat movies for cheap evenings out
    Look into buying new iPad or tablet
    Read 8 books - read 2 so far
    Go on a few new walks
    Visit parents - done
    Invite parents to stay - done
    Arrange at least 2 or 3 meet ups with old work colleagues to keep in touch - done

Finances
    Do July salary budget - done
    Look at credit card swap
    Try to continue using up toiletries, smellies and not buy more unnecessarily - doing ok, stocks are dwindling
    Investigate swapping mortgage protection insurance - done

Work
    Look at new chemistry spec
    Write lessons for first month back - done some basic planning
    Create new subject review docs for new job - done
    Process GCSE results in August
  • mumblingtaff
    Options
    The plumber has been - on time thankfully.
    At first it looked really serious and he thought that there was a hole in the water tank but then investigated further and found a different problem. Something to do with water recycling between two tanks and the pump being too powerful and forcing water where it shouldn't go and a broken ballcock. It's fixed now and I'm £340 worse off :(
    But the photos he took for me showed it was absolutely sopping wet up there so it's a good job I didn't ignore it or I'd have come home to a water tank in the bedroom !!!

That's my house contingency fund gone now but I suppose that's what it's there for. Might investigate claiming it on the insurance, will see what the excess is and whether it's worth doing. The bedroom definitely needs redecorating now ......

Not sure what to do about going to Wales now - haven't been able to shower etc yet and don't know if I can face a 4 hour drive today after the drama.....
  • mumblingtaff
    edited 22 July 2018 at 4:54PM
    Options
    Decided to stay and meet mum tomorrow instead - spoke to her for an hour earlier and she's happy with that too.

Have finally got around to installing the Amazon fire stick I was bought as an Xmas present and promptly put in a drawer and forgot all about. It's brilliant - like a whole new world! I feel like I'm finally in the 21st century! I thought that I might have to upgrade my 10 year old TV but it turns out that there was a port hidden away where nobody would be expected to find it! So a double win - not having to buy a new telly and getting new free access to loads of stuff :)
    Just watching an episode of Keeping Faith then I'm off out for a big walk with the dog for some fresh air and exercise.

Will do one or two household jobs off the list this evening so I don't sit and watch hours and hours of TV I was previously oblivious to ;) and reward myself with an episode of something. Sad how excited I am about it isn't it!!!!
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,863 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What do you get free on the Fire stick MT? Great that your old TV was suitable. :)
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • mumblingtaff
    Options
    There's all the usual catch up services - iplayer, itv, C4 and Channel 5 versions - Amazon free stuff (you can buy extras) , movies and series etc. Compared to what I had before with a basic sky subscription it's great.
    I also have a free Prime trial for a month so will watch some paid for TV while it lasts and consider whether it's worth paying extra for later.

Have walked the dog, sat out in the garden for an hour when the sun finally came out, cleaned the fridge and washed the winter coats, so have ticked off a couple of jobs from the to do list.

Going to watch another episode of Keeping Faith (the welsh accents make me feel at home :) ), potter about and have an early night. What could have been a disasterous day has turned out to be not too bad really (minus the £340 loss...)
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Pleased you got the plumbing sorted MT - I had a collapsed floor/ceiling in my bathroom not too long ago which was really stressful for a couple of days. Worth the money as well.
    Your summer list puts mine to shame - and I have no motivation today either, although I have only been awake for half an hour.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure