PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Options

Comments

• pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    OBL Depending on how many meds you get each month would it be possible and cost effective for you to sign up to the NHS PPC which has been mentioned here many times? You can put it on monthly DD among the other options . If the cost of your prescriptions is more than getting one it's worth doing . My dd has 13 regular meds but recently that's running at 16 . It would be impossible to cover the cost of those without the PPC . It really worries me that people go without necessary medication due to affordability .
    It's worth you looking it up online to see if it's cheaper than paying over the counter but depends on how many you get each month .

Oddly enough I typed TMJ on another thread yesterday . Posters were talking about bacon . I developed TMJ about 6 years ago and that's one of the foods I can no longer eat as it triggers pain when chewing . It is horrible so I sympathise with you .
    I don't know if you claim any form of benefits but it's always worth using an online benefit checker to see if there is anything available .

I've just noticed your signature . I was brought up not to borrow and was lucky enough never to do so . I am however aware that many are struggling for all sorts of reasons . Life events can be a cause . Even the ever rising costs of food , travel and utilities are a nightmare now if you're barely managing .

It's possible you've already done this so feel free to ignore . Looking at Stepchange , Turn2us and similar advice agencies can lead to plans that repay at an affordable rate and no nasty letters from creditors . Some can point to help for various situations too so worth a look .

My dds boyfriend works for the NHS and has after 11 years in a toxic atmosphere applied for a job in another trust which is the well deserved promotion denied to him in his present position over the years . He'll be doing the dance of joy on the last day of working his notice .
    Take care

polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    I'll post tomorrow Tink . For many reasons I seem to have spent a lot of today online and am all typed out . I wont forget . i just need to get my fingers and brain back in working order .
    Love polly

xxxx

• Prinzessilein
    Options
    Morning!

Mum had new hearing aids - unfortunately they are causing more trouble than the last ones, and she can't hear anywhere near as well with the new ones!...so today we have an appointment to see what can be done to improve matters.

I just wanted to offer a few tips on 'finding the balance'...

First thing is, there are only 24 hours in each day...and some of those are set aside for sleeping!!!....I have found that lists help - I can then see what needs to be done and prioritise those jobs that NEED to get seen to.

A 'regular' schedule helps me (partly because I am Autistic - and schedules are bliss to me!)...along with my notebooks. I keep a notepad beside me because some days my few remaining working braincells go walk-about!

Getting the financial help to which you are entitled is a real help...but with the system as it is, this is not always easy!

Mum has a cleaner come in every other week - and the same woman will call on me if I request it - for things like hanging the main curtains (I could never reach that high, and balancing on a step-stool is a definite no-no!)

For 'everyday' cleaning, one thing I was very happy with was the purchase of a new vacuum cleaner - yes, it meant an initial expense - but it has paid for itself by enabling me to still do this task myself...I have a GTECH cleaner - it is very light, and cordless so easily pushed from lounge to hall to bedroom.

I like to cook from fresh when possible - and this last year I used some vouchers I had been given towards a soup maker - cooks and blends with one push of a button...and it has its own self-clean cycle too!...I would not be without my chopper...and my slowcooker (recently upgraded to a multicooker)...my kitchen gadgets mean that I can still keep independence of a sort! (I still need to ask for help with slicing bread - the bread knife has been forbidden to me!)

Dusting bookshelves (I love my books!) ...can be done sitting down - I move a chair and small side table in front of the case and take one shelf at a time....it takes more than twice as long as 'normal' but is another job I can do myself.

Remember it is a BALANCE you are looking for...so what if I leave cleaning the mirrors until tomorrow - or the next day??!!...Some times it is more important to ME to sit quietly with a book and a cuppa, or to pop round to visit Mum...some jobs will wait.

And focus on what you can still do rather than what you can't!
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    I hope your mum's aids get sorted today . My mum was born deaf in one ear and poor hearing in the other - We always had to walk on her "good " side . It always amazes me that despite so called technology a lot of the time things still aren't fit for purpose .

That's some good advice you've given Tink . It's always difficult when you don't know someones circumstances to think of what to advise .
    polly xx

• pollyanna_26
    Options
    Tink as you seem to have reached the point where some things are proving difficult in the house which isn't suprising with a part time job , young children and progressive MS . I think a starting point is to begin once more looking at bills and other household costs to see if you can find ways to free up a little cash to pay for some help for the most difficult tasks .

I know you did a check when your husband was due his surgery and have been meal planning and batch cooking to reduce costs .

Look at all utility costs ..At the moment the government are planning a cap on energy charges . Not sure if that will happen but some suppliers have started special offers to get new customers so could be worth a look . Same with all regular bills see if there are better deals . I'm not sure if switching to a water meter when you have young children I didn't do it as children use a lot of water . I seem to think you're in rented property but most landlords are on board with allowing meters to be installed . You can get a rough idea online from your local water company to compare costs.
    • Try an online benefits checker to see if there is anything more available for your circumstances . I know you're both in work but it's worth a try . For example are you entitled to child tax credits or similar .
    • I know you visit the hospital for treatment . It's worth talking to your nurse and OT about struggling to cope at home as they may have good advice on suitable aids to make things a little easier .
    • MS Forums are helpful . I seem to remember you go to a group so some there will have similar problems .
    • Depending on your meds I'll mention again the PPC .
    • It's going to be hard but you may have to look at the food budget again as that's the easiest way to release some cash .
    • Try to order your shop with either free or low cost delivery . The reason I don't shop online is you can miss a lot of reductions instore but I understand you aren't well enough to trawl the shops .
    • When the children were growing up I didn't do the treats thing much . Fizzy drinks , crisps etc are pretty well empty calories . It's harder for today's parents with peer pressure sadly .
    • A treat can be an hour or two in the local library if you're lucky enough to have one with a children's section . Ours still has reading sessions , seasonal activities and craft classes as it did in my children's growing up years .
    • If you see a bargain food buy snap it up . Concentrate on always having a food store as back up . Part baked bread and rolls can be very cheap and are filling with homemade soups , stews and chillies .
    • Dumplings are a useful addition to soups and other meals and Atora vegetarian suet is also vegan so will suit your family .
    • You can make pastry , sweet and savoury puds and lots of things from suet and it's a good filler up of adults and children alike ,
    • I know you were struggling at first last Christmas so one thing a week should be the plan . Perhaps you could start picking up the odd item or planning baking some treats to make up a gift box or basket for your parents .
    Work on some lists this weekend and check if you can free enough to pay a cleaner even for a couple of hours . Prinzess has some good advice and Wolfy has been known to get down on the floor to clean ( whether intentional or not .) I'm sure she'd tell you there's a lot to be said for a sheep onna stick .

Well I need to make a brew and breathe .
    Take care all

polly x

• pollyanna_26
    Options
    Tink I forget earlier if you make various lists have one that identifies what you're now struggling with at home and one which lists the things you are managing . As Prinzess said we must always look at what we can do and not just the things we can't .

I've no idea if your husband has had his op but know he normally helps at home when possible as do the children . Provided he's recovered look again at what each of you can do and then list the things that are difficult .

It's worth you finding out the hourly cost of a cleaner so you know what you may be looking at . For many years here neighbours would swop skills and diy and gardening equipment in exchange for others skills . Helping with someone's garden or a few hours childcare , internet help and many other things could earn some hours of cleaning help .

If you have any loans or credit cards which are straining the budget it's worth seeing if you can get a better deal or reduced payments under a management plan .

polly x

• Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 October 2018 at 10:15PM
    Options
    OBL Depending on how many meds you get each month would it be possible and cost effective for you to sign up to the NHS PPC which has been mentioned here many times? You can put it on monthly DD among the other options . If the cost of your prescriptions is more than getting one it's worth doing . My dd has 13 regular meds but recently that's running at 16 . It would be impossible to cover the cost of those without the PPC . It really worries me that people go without necessary medication due to affordability .
    It's worth you looking it up online to see if it's cheaper than paying over the counter but depends on how many you get each month .

Oddly enough I typed TMJ on another thread yesterday . Posters were talking about bacon . I developed TMJ about 6 years ago and that's one of the foods I can no longer eat as it triggers pain when chewing . It is horrible so I sympathise with you .
    I don't know if you claim any form of benefits but it's always worth using an online benefit checker to see if there is anything available .

I've just noticed your signature . I was brought up not to borrow and was lucky enough never to do so . I am however aware that many are struggling for all sorts of reasons . Life events can be a cause . Even the ever rising costs of food , travel and utilities are a nightmare now if you're barely managing .

It's possible you've already done this so feel free to ignore . Looking at Stepchange , Turn2us and similar advice agencies can lead to plans that repay at an affordable rate and no nasty letters from creditors . Some can point to help for various situations too so worth a look .

My dds boyfriend works for the NHS and has after 11 years in a toxic atmosphere applied for a job in another trust which is the well deserved promotion denied to him in his present position over the years . He'll be doing the dance of joy on the last day of working his notice .
    Take care

polly x
    Hi Polly,I used to have a PPS but because I cut down on meds it was no longer viable
    I am on a DMP with StepChange for my debt but at the moment I've had to reduce my hours slightly because of my health so this is causing some further issues with my finances,I'm not eligible for any benefits as I am working and can take care of myself so although I can be quite ill at times for benefits purposes I'm not sick enough

I have Trigeminal Neuralgia,it's not the same as TMJ ,it's hell to live with, getting that as well as Fibro nearly pushed me over the edge,thankfully I don't get it all the time and the gaps between flare ups have got longer or I really don't think I would still be here, I dread it when I can feel an attack coming on

I have noticed the cost of food is going up a lot and my choice of supermarkets is limited,I currently shop at Sainsbury's but tomorrow I'm going to investigate Iceland instead,I'm a vegetarian though and their vege range is quite limited,I should be able to do a fairly good shop despite this

I like my actual job and the people I work with are lovely,it's just the NHS sickness policy that gets me down,it's designed to stop people who like to take the odd sickie off from doing so but unfortunately it doesn't make allowances for people with chronic illness,I've been very lucky that my Fibro symptoms have been such that I haven't had to take any time off for that for 6 months but unluckily for me I have had two bad chest infections and two bouts of D&V at the beginning of the year which led to me triggering on the sickness policy so I was formally monitored for three months,I haven't been off for 6 months now but any sickness in the next 6 months means I go back onto stage four monitoring which could lead to an employment tribunal where they will decide if I am fit to do my job,if this goes against me they could dismiss me, so I am really hoping I stay well this winter
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Hi OBL You seem to be doing everything you can to manage things as much as possible . Re veggie food Iceland used to be a bit hit and miss sometimes loads sometimes not so much . We tend to shop around rather than do online orders . Pretty exhausting but you get to spot the instore offers and yellow stickers . We mainly go to SBs or Morrisons . We've worked out our SBs have their offers on rotation so every few weeks Quorn products and other veggie foods are reduced . Same for store cupboard and other products .
    Morrison's aren't in all areas but have a wide range of veggie products well priced . We always have a look in M&S when we've been to the pharmacy they've really ramped up both veggie and vegan foods and have good offers and yellow stickers with a good date .
    I'm glad you like your job it's such a battle if you dread going . Dds boyfriend is one of the poor souls trying to keep the IT system going . Sadly there are a number of senior staff who are very negative although he has higher qualifications and experience . When the NHS was hit last year he was the only one who knew what to do and was running round the dept screaming get your hands away and don't touch anything . Basically he was underpaid and quite unhappy . He's watched the vacancies until he found the role he's qualified for and is now working his notice .
    All workplaces carry the risk of infection but obviously hospitals are hot beds for catching something . He's developed a pretty good immune system but D&V is his nemesis as you'll know you aren't allowed to go into work with that but there is a degree of judgement if you come down with it . His dept ask you report for work so they can see you are ill with either that or flu etc and if satisfied send you home and then track your time off .
    polly

• pollyanna_26
    Options
    I've just read your post again OBL . Have you tried claiming PIP? It isn't means tested and depending on your diagnoses and what is difficult for you with chronic illness it may be awarded . You may have already tried but if not you can look up the descriptors online and see if any apply in your case . It's not about conditions but how those conditions affect your day to day life .
    Once more apologies if you've already checked it out .
    polly x

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just reading, not posting much. I don't really have much advice to offer but just want to commend Polly on the sterling work she does on this thread. Her help and advice is invaluable.

I am sorry to hear that so many of you are struggling financially because of illness.

I won't bore you all with the details but when my husband got sick we ended up £30k in debt. I genuinely feared having to go bankrupt and that we would lose our home. I managed to keep going and keep us afloat, largely through the help and advice on this site, but It was a dreadful experience, as if having a terminally ill husband wasn't bad enough.

There's no doubt in my mind that sickness and disability costs money. And I find it shocking that not only is there so little help but also even the advice you do Receive from professionals is conflicting and confusing.

Working your way through the labyrinthine systems is exhausting, time consuming and soul destroying. You are made to feel worthless. You have to battle and grovel, for what in law are your rights, in my husband's case an 18 month fight for what was then called DLA and then later, another lengthy battle for CHC. (Continuing Health Care).

My mother's CHC was eventually awarded posthumously. You couldn't make it up.

The sad and frustrating part in all this is the situation seems to be getting worse.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure