PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Options

Comments

• LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Prinzess I know what you mean about visitors sapping your strength.

I had a meet'n'greet visit from a potential new canine guest, along with her humans the other day (with their 3-year-old son in tow, which was stressful in itself, as I don't really "do" children and hadn't been told they would be bringing one along) and I have been exhausted ever since.

The good bit, though, is that the dog in question, Mishka the Siberian Husky, is coming to me for a 6-day stay, on Wednesday of next week.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm feeling awful at the mo.My old dog Buddy had to be pts 2 weeks ago, and since then my pain levels have rocketed, and I can't sleep.Added to which it's my Dad's 10 year anniversary this week:(
    Luckily I have a Drs appointment next week :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Candy I'm so sorry to read your beloved buddy has crossed rainbow bridge and your dads anniversary . These are the times that really impcact physically , mentally and emotionally . Take good care of yourself at this time . Soon you will be able to look back on the good times and memories . They can never be taken away .
    Love and hugs

Good lord Wolfy that must have been a heck of a shock . it seems rather rude not to actually ask in advance whether a child would be ok to visit . Well you got through it so you're a lot braver than you believe . I'm looking forward to hearing about your soon to be guest . I adore Siberian Huskies there's an elderly couple in this area who often walk two through the small high street and it takes them forever to get from one end to the other as the dogs are a magnet to passers by . We always have a talk to the owners and the dogs who gentle giants .
    How are you and MrWolf managing ? I don't know what it's like in MK but it's been damp and a lot colder here and it's making itself felt in the joints nd muscles . I do hope you get some sun for a while at least .

Prinzess Such a relief for you with the ESA . It took me a few weeks of phoning DWP re the forms they sent out . Each person who replied was unhelpful and pretty well didn't understand what was going on . I was so lucky to get one person who sorted it in minutes and confirmed none of the paperwork was relevant at all .
    Hope your resting after your visitors . I always think it's a pity there isn't more understanding that one persons normal trip or visit can be someone elses mountain to climb and lead to pain and exhaustion .
    Hope your dear mum is ok .

Thinking of all our absent friends I hope your husband is ok Tink and you're managing . AOT sending you gentle hugs you've been in my mind a great deal and I hope by now some progress is being made with your treatment . Take care x
    polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi just been catching up and hoping everyone is well!

I'm just wondering how you balance the cost of being unwell/disabled?

I'm trying to find a balance so I can make my life as easy as possible but the cost is mounting up. I need a cleaner to help me & I'm finding shopping harder so switching to online shopping but all these things cost more money and I'm finally doing the balance tricky!

How does everyone else manage?

Tink
    Living the simple life
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi Tink . I can understand how you must be struggling . DD and I muddle along and over the years I've been cleaner and carer most of the time . You sound quite young so I doubt there's any additional financial or practical help out there due to cuts over the years for such services .
    I'm afraid all we can do is have a think about how we cut costs and manage day to day things . When I started the thread I mentioned the things we do without realising to save energy and manage financially so I for one will think back on those things and see what I can suggest .
    If I remember rightly you have PIP . Nice in theory but nowadays it's classed as help with the extra costs of disability although in reality most people need it to pay the bills . For many including young families such as yours life can be tough even when in work as you both are .
    Due to the above and the cuts only cutting back on what you spend can help but I know you've cut as much as you can already

Prinzess may have some good advice re how her and her mum have coped over the years .
    I'll have a think . It may be time for hints and tips again as we used to do here at the start . I think the most difficult thing to address is the need for help in the house as unless anyone here knows differently I can't think of any financial help to cover that other than the PIP .
    I'll post later when I've had a think .
    Love polly x

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tink_04 wrote: »

I'm trying to find a balance so I can make my life as easy as possible but the cost is mounting up. I need a cleaner to help me & I'm finding shopping harder so switching to online shopping but all these things cost more money and I'm finally doing the balance tricky!

Tink

I need a cleaner , but just can't afford it .I can manage an aldi shop, but have to shuffle round, clinging to the trolley now:o
    POLLY, thanks for your condolences hun xx
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think I said on here that I'm trying the Ashok Gupta programme at the moment. I'm starting the brain retraining programme tomorrow. I saw the testimonials and people said that it worked almost straight away for them. I'm kind of nervous that it won't work!

I haven't heard of that before, thanks, sounds interesting. I might try the free trial.

They are okay, nothing particularly helpful so far. It's just a group workshop before the individual therapy starts so probably just to make it seem like I am not waiting as long. There have only been three of us both times so it is a little strange to be in such a small group.:D

Yes, I think that is true. The programme I'm doing is the theory that your fight or flight response keeps going off inappropriately and you need to retrain your amygdala.

He said that many people get fibro/chronic fatigue after a long period of stress. I was stressed for a few years as my husband was ill and I was trying to do everything myself without any help. I don't have parents (well, I do have parents, I just don't see them) so I didn't have any support.

It sound like the programme you are trying is based on similar research,the Curable app is based on the work of a DR John Sarno and others who have been researching chronic pain for decades,it was origInally developed to treat chronic migraine and worked really well,then they started using it for other pain conditions with brilliant results,it take work on the part of the patient but if you are going to have big improvements it's worth it,it doesn't cure the pain it helps to deal with any issues that might be contributing to the pain and teaches you how to deal with them

I found it when it came up on my FB feed and was very cynical thinking oh god another whacky theory that won't work,I then started the free trial and was amazed at how much it helped me,I then listened to the podcasts linked to the app and they made perfect sense too,I haven't paid for a subscription yet simply because money is extra tight at the moment but I have bought a couple of books that the research is based on and they have been very helpful
    I hope the programme you are trying works for you and will be interested to hear how it works and how you get on,since I've started looking into it all I've become fascinated with how our brains can react to stress in a physical way
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Onebrokelady
    edited 17 October 2018 at 8:43PM
    Options
    Tink_04 wrote: »

Tink
    It is exspensive being ill isn't it, up until August I was working full time but cut my hours from 34.5 to 30 on a three month trial in August,I'm not sure I will be carrying it on though as I just can't afford it, I've had to dip into my emergancy fund this month and have not been to collect one of my prescriptions because I can't afford it yet, my boss says my health has to come before money but that's no good if I'm stressing out about it and the extra stress is making me worse,I told him that I need the money for bills and essentials not fancy holidays or anything, I would love to stay on these hours but I don't think it's possible,it doesn't help that I've got such a bad sickness record that I now can't take any time off sick for a year(6 months remaining) because if I do my employer is going to take me to a employment tribunal to try and say I'm not fit for my job,I work for the NHS so you would think they would be more understanding wouldn't you
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    So today's annoying symptom is neuralgia in my face,it's runs from my temple on the right side of my face down to the corner of my eye then along my cheek bone down to my lip and across the top lip
    I've been on a study day where we were practicing resuscitation,so the actions involved in doing CPR probably started it off along with the stress of the day,it's a recipe for a pain flare,my hands are hurting too but I can cope with that,this Trigeminal Neuralgia is horrible and I dread it when I know I'm going to have a flare up,tapping the side of my face can relieve it but I look a bit odd sitting there tapping my face :eek:
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Candy I've been spending some time online trying to find something that may help our dear Tink . I'm not sure if you do one big shop or if they would sell the type of things you buy but after Tink mentioning delivery charges for online deliveries I had a look at Iceland as I know a number of friends who struggle both with money and the cost of online deliveries . It seems an online or in store order of over £35 is free next day delivery .
    I also noticed they sell pre chopped veg like onions or mixed vegetables cheaper than most I've seen in shop freezers . They sell fresh and frozen foods and household essentials not just food so I'm thinking of having a look in our local branch . I did shop there a few years ago but had forgotten it was there as it's in a different direction to our normal shopping route .
    polly x

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport