LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches

Options

Comments

• Silver_Queen
    Silver_Queen Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    Hope everything went OK today my dear!
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thinking of you and hoping it went as well as it could. Appreciate you don't often get the outcome the same day either which just adds to the stress.
  • lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Well, it went far, far better than expected! Thank you again for all the support and advice. I appreciate it all :o

I managed to stay quite put together - there was no crying (thank you modern medicine!) and as I wasn't crying I was able to articulate everything I wanted and didn't need to rely on my notes. I was clear and concise and was honest about the mistake that I made. I took full responsibility for my actions, but also managed to express my point of view.

I had accepted the most likely outcome which was a 12 month disciplinary warning BUT they lowered it! Still have a warning but it's only 6 months which feels a lot, lot better. What I ended up with wasn't actually on the list of possible outcomes but they felt after discussing it with me that it was a fair result.

Very happy :o Also very proud of myself (oddly). A few months ago this would have set me back a lot further than it has. It gave me the push I needed to go the doctor and also showed me that I do have it in my to stand my ground and clearly articulate my feelings/ point of view. Something I've found hard to do previously as I usually get too choked up with my emotions. I also made it through all of this without a sip of alcohol which feels like a mammoth achievement.

Now off work for a few days for OH's birthday which I am very much looking forward to. Presents sorted and wrapped and the only thing left to sort is the Jammy Dodger cake which I'll get the night before. Am going to wake him up early and do presents/ breakfast in bed then head for a day out to the beach. Weather not looking too good for the day but will still be fun to go exploring somewhere new :)

Friend from work finishes on Monday, she's somehow managed to sort it with them and isn't working her notice. She cancelled her gym membership and I have a confession.... I may have cancelled mine too. Good news is they've offered me another free month to sign up again in the future so will do it later in the year :rotfl: Will just continue with the walking and diet for now and see how we get on. I'm sorry MSE... Failing on the money front AND the exercise front!

Am going to have a wee nosey around diaries then get in bed and have the best nights sleep I've had in a few weeks :o Plans for tomorrow include a nice big walk with OH, laundry and general house tidy-ing/ cleaning stuff.

64 days
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Well done. You should be proud of the way you handled the situation.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Silver_Queen
    Silver_Queen Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    Well done you. You should be incredibly proud of yourself. It's a tough thing that you've been through and it sounds like you were really able to put your point across. Very proud of you.
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • onedaysomeday
    Options
    Well done - very proud of you!
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good for you, Lonelyrat. I'm so glad it's all worked out.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • lonelyrat
    Options
    Thank you so much guys... I'm am feeling a wee bit proud, I must admit! :o Woke up very happy this morning despite the gale force wind and rain outside. Summer where have you gone?!

OH asleep still but I have his permission to wake him in 45 minutes then we'll go on a (wet) walk.

To do:
    1. Long walk
    2. Laundry
    3. Hoover
    4. Re-organise chest of drawers
    5. Post Fathers day card
    6. Sort through bathroom shelves (soooo many empty bottles of things.... )
    7. Phone vet for appointment
    8. Change bedding
    9. Clean kitchen / organise cupboards

Am having a super productive day to get everything that needs doing out the way then tomorrow and Saturday will just relax. Planning on going to the cinema one of the days to watch Solo.

Sunday will be an early morning (have already warned OH!) with presents in bed then I've decided we're going to go on an adventure to Cumbrae :cool: Not told OH and will keep it a surprise until we get to Largs :o I've never been before and neither has he, so am quite excited. Have found a map online with a few walking routes over the island so we will defo be trying to hit a new step high score :rotfl:
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Haven't been to Cumbrae in years!. Hope you enjoy it and have an ice cream in Largs.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • lonelyrat
    Options
    Thanks Toni'sfriend! 100% will be having having ice cream :cool: Exactly what my Dad said to me when I told him my plan! Great minds think alike :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport