Money Moral Dilemma: How much should we charge our daughter for living with us?

Options

Comments

• happyinflorida
    Options
    As you say you are struggling with finances now since your daughter has returned home, then I'm taking it that your own incomes are quite small?

If yes, and you're not putting away thousands in savings each month or paying enormous debts which you've incurred? then you should discuss this with your daughter at a quiet time, sitting down to have a discussion and pointing out exactly why you are struggling with the extra expense since she's returned.

If the extra costs are food - for her, then ask her to pay for this and anything else that has increased and say what exactly has gone up and point out to her that she found it too expensive to live away but she cannot expect you to financially struggle because she has returned at her own choice.

Ask her why she's unwilling to pay you anything and see if you can get to the bottom of what her problem/s are.

Good luck!
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I cba to read all of this pseudo-Thread, but on the slight possibility that it is based upon real events: -

Ask the daughter what she paid in rent at her previous place. Then tell her to set up a monthly Standing Order to your account, for a sum based upon a percentage of that amount. I suggest 25% of that, or £200 a month, whichever is greatest.

I never lived free at my parents' home when I was earning a good wage, my kids did not and their kids do not. Once they are earning a fair amount, it's time to teach them that everything has to be paid for, otherwise they will never learn how to stand on their own feet.

By all means save a monthly sum out of that if you wish, to help them leave and acquire independence.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • coffee18
    Options
    Surely they will only be those who have over stretched themselves and not looked at what has happened and what could potentially happen again? It doesn't have to be either or, common sense can be applied.

All my kids are homeowners (on single incomes) but before they bought they were sure they could afford the mortgage if interest rates went higher. As it happens they have owned for between 3 and 5 years respectively and rates have been relatively unchanged for that time, house value has increased and they also took out fixed rate loans to further protect them against rate changes. They are now in the fortunate position of having a decent amount of equity in their properties.
    We did all of the above but when interest rates went to 16% in the nineties and the crash happened then equity disappeared and that was quite sudden.
    Every fiat currency since the romans first began the practice in the first century has ended in devaluation or eventual collapse of not only the currency but the economy as well.
  • cjc178
    cjc178 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I first started working full time I was asked by my parents to pay a third of my wages towards the bills and food. My Dad's idea was that I should pay them a third save a third and spend the other third on whatever I liked. It was a good grounding for when I got my first flat and it meant that I had a fair bit saved up when I needed it. I know kids today seem to have everything handed to them on a plate so learning to save from an early age wouldn't be a bad thing. If you really wanted to be altruistic then you could do like one of the others wrote and save what you receive from the kids for bills and meals and put it into some type of saving account to give back to them when they are trying to make that first deposit for a mortgage.
    :Tcjc178:beer:
  • summerof0763
    Options
    Wow can't belive your daughter has moved home because renting and paying bills is too much... ....which is fine but she can't expect you to keep her either.
    As there are 3 of you in the house all bills and food etc should be split 3 ways and no I would not be saving it for her either.
    So pay up or move out xx
    i came into the world with nothing,and guess what? i still have it!!!:p
  • Clueless969
    Options
    So, a question for all of the folk on this thread that think parents should not expect their children to pay their way whilst living at home.

Are you really saying that it is perfectly correct and normal for a child or children to expect to be able to live at home from their birth until the death of their parents without making any sort of regular contribution to the parents?
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 September 2017 at 10:48AM
    Options
    £200 per month, and she gets her own food.
    This is what I do and although it seems 'hard' it works for us. I would be able to claim massive reduction on Council Tax if my daughter was not living at home, earning -and that would be a third of it. Extra costs because she is here include laundry, heating her room and electric for phones, extra tv and lighting. She tends to fall asleep leaving everything switched on, and it is easier and more sensible to charge her what this costs, rather than keep moaning at her to change her ways.
    A room in a shared house locally would cost double this.

The difference in lifestyle causes the most friction- her having so much disposable income and not having the first inclination to budget responsibly.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,965 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    So, a question for all of the folk on this thread that think parents should not expect their children to pay their way whilst living at home.

Are you really saying that it is perfectly correct and normal for a child or children to expect to be able to live at home from their birth until the death of their parents without making any sort of regular contribution to the parents?

Obviously it isn't normal to live at home all your life, as most people seek to live independently at some point in their lives. We are talking her mainly about young adults returning to the nest when they are in their first or second jobs. Finances often mean that it would be a struggle to live outside the home at this point.

Those advocating charging the most are those that either seek to fund their own lifestyle choices by profiting out of their children or those that don't have the budget to be independent themselves without the income from their children.

Those making comparisons with rent costs elsewhere, remember that however liberal and relaxed living with your parents is, it won't give you the freedom that living elsewhere does.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Obviously it isn't normal to live at home all your life, as most people seek to live independently at some point in their lives. We are talking her mainly about young adults returning to the nest when they are in their first or second jobs. Finances often mean that it would be a struggle to live outside the home at this point.

Those advocating charging the most are those that either seek to fund their own lifestyle choices by profiting out of their children or those that don't have the budget to be independent themselves without the income from their children.

Those making comparisons with rent costs elsewhere, remember that however liberal and relaxed living with your parents is, it won't give you the freedom that living elsewhere does.

Agreed :T:beer:
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »

So what do you think is an acceptable amount to charge adult offspring?

We definitely don't fit either of your profiles and we only asked our children for £100 pcm but we did feel it important that they realised that not all their income was disposable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure