Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Tiscali offers the cheapest bundle out there. It's £14.99 PM and includes 8MB unlimited broadband, phone line rental, weekend phone calls AND weekend international calls. It's a cracking deal.
    Damn they should be paying me commission. lol

Tiscali are not interested in connecting customers without phone lines,despite the fact they can. They are only interested in cherry picking BT Customers. Their is also a £30 connection fee.
  • gem2509_2
    Options
    I am in a similar boat. i am moving into a rented flat (as soon as i find one!) but will only be there for about 9 months anyone got any suggestions for broadband? and possibly home phone.. tho my mobile contract needs and update so if i can do away with the home phone i will.
  • Pitchshifter
    Options
    If there is no phone line, you can't get around paying BT the standard £130 to install one. Most ISPs charge a standard connection fee of around £30.
    These costs are fixed, after that you can go for the cheapest option if you want, which, granted may not be the best, but you may be surprised. My dad has Tiscali for 6 months and had no problems so far. He's got the £19.99 option which includes free anytime phonecalls and unlimitted 8Mb BB.
    This seems like a bargain to me as I am paying BT for phone line rental (10.50) and Pipex for internet (24.99) so monthly total is £35.50 as well as phone charges! Over £15.50 per month cheaper, and he gets slightly faster download speeds.
    Also Pipex is now owned by Tiscali and both of them are going to use 0871 numbers for their support phone line. So what if the support line is expensive, it's massively cheaper.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So, as we live in an area inaccessible by ISP's beginning with the letter T ;-) where else would you recommend?

I currently have plusnet for my ISP and am more than happy - shall I bundle the phone with them too?

I'm also looking for my father in law and looking at summat similar (although he is only an occasional dial up user atm so don't expect high usage from him)

T I A
  • fernando_vaz
    Options
    Can anyone tell me if I can get wireless broadband but on a month to month contract (no minimum term)?

Thanks
  • gemmabe
    gemmabe Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can anyone tell me if I can get wireless broadband but on a month to month contract (no minimum term)?

Thanks

Hiya! I'm just about to leave the apalling Tiscali, they have released me from my contract as I have had an intermittent connection for 4, yes FOUR months! that they are unable to fix.

Anyway the point of my post is that I am transferring to PlusNet which is a monthly contract, having looked around they seem to offer the best deal with cheap UK-based tech support which is a must for me after my recent experience lol! Also comes with a free router and £28 cashback if you go through Quidco, hth :)
  • Hi there. I have just bought a house and am changing the phone number so am told I am stuck with BT for phone for one year. What is the best value broadband package for me? I prefer unlimited usage, ideally no or limited traffic shaping and a wireless router pack. I can live with a year contract if needed although obviously would prefer a month to month package if it exists...

Help please! :confused:
  • Former_MSE_Archna
    Options
    Hi Londonprofessional,
    Have you read Martin's Broadband article:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband

Have a read and come back if you've got any questions.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MSE_Archna wrote: »
    Have you read Martin's Broadband article:
    Have a read and come back if you've got any questions.

My question is ....

We can't get Talk Talk or Tiscali

Where shall I go for a 'bundle'?
  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Where shall I go for a 'bundle'?

Don't forget if you go for a bundle, and after 12 mths you decide to move then the chances are you will end up paying BT for reconnection.
    Move along, nothing to see.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure