Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    La_Fenice
    oodles of carrots
    • 28th Nov 04, 9:47 PM
    oodles of carrots 28th Nov 04 at 9:47 PM
    Have been given a couple of carrier bags full of wonderful, home-grown, organic carrots still with the muck on 'em. Given loads away, steamed 'em, grated 'em, stir-fried 'em and now have run out of ideas :-/

Don't want to waste them as they are really tasty so can anyone suggest any different ways to cook them please? Also, how long will they keep and what's the best way to store them?

Is it true that if you eat loads then you turn orange :-X
    Don't really want to look as if I've been 'Tangoed!'
Page 3
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 31st May 06, 9:38 PM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    I grate carrots and add them to mince, to make it go futher, and to get the children eating a little extra veg!!! You could grate them, add a little flour and an egg, fry them and have carrot fritters. I also love carrot, swede and mashed potato mixed together with loads of butter! Ive also frozen carrots before, when ive had loads, i normally blanch them first, but im sure i read somewhere that some people have just frozen them as they are?!
  • Kazonline
    Carrot cake - sorry, don't have recipe but sure someone will. Also very tasty created, mix in a few raisins and dress with a vinegarette dressing. Really yummy.
    Carrot and corriander soup?
    Sorry I don't have specific recipies, but the ideas might jog other peoples memories, or failing that I'd imagine a search on google would get them for you.
    If all else fails, slice/chop then blanche and freeze?
    Kaz x
  • garret1
    Carrot and coriander soup. Yum
    • Iguana
    • By Iguana 1st Jun 06, 4:26 AM
    • 1,765 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    Iguana
    I had a sandwich the other day with carrot chutney, I don't have a recipe though.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 1st Jun 06, 6:02 AM
    • 16,780 Posts
    • 143,708 Thanks
    JackieO
    Peel them,slice them ,blanche them and freeze them.Let the rabbit each the glut of dandielions instead
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 1st Jun 06, 6:33 AM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    Carrot cake :- http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=178214
    Hope this helps!!!
    • moo842
    • By moo842 3rd Jun 06, 6:57 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    moo842
    carrots
    hi i have loads of carrots to use up, can anyone give me some advice and recipes that will use them?
    thanks
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 3rd Jun 06, 7:08 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi moo,

We have a recent thread on the same subject, so I've merged your thread with it, as it makes it easier for Old Style readers to find all replies on the same thread. As always, posts are listed in date order, so you'll have to read from the beginning to see all the replies.

Pink
    • researcher
    • By researcher 3rd Jun 06, 7:12 PM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 1,771 Thanks
    researcher
    A lovely soup
    Saute some onion in a little butter or oil (with a little celery and garlic if you like) when it begins to soften add your carrots (about 1lb per small onion), and a little salt. Let them saute (with the lid on and on a low heat), after about 10 mins add between 1/2 - 1 tablespoon corriander seeds. Grate the rind of an orange and add alongside the juice and about 1 pint of stock - chicken or vegetable. Finish cooking the carrots and then liquidise, adusting the salt/pepper to taste, and adding a little liquid if needed. You can also add a handfull of finely chopped corriander leaves if liked.

This makes a beautiful soup
  • kittiwoz
    Chopped carrots go in shepherds pie and all sorts of stews. I have a recipie which uses grated carrot and cumin in a muffin batter to make savoury muffins. Carrot and corriander soup and carrot cake are lovely as has already been mentioned.

I have also roasted carrots as an accompaniment, either with shallots and marinaded in honey and balsamic vinegar or with a selection of other winter veg (I used celery, leek, onion, turnip, swede, whole cloves of garlic and carrot, I did the potatoes and parsnips seperate) with a little stock poured over and some quartered lemons pushed in among the veg. You could roast carrots with potatoes and/or parsnips too.

I have also sometimes used pureed carrot as a desert. You could mix in a little cream, I tend to use evaporated milk for economy, and could sweeten it a little with sugar, honey or maple syrup though it's pretty sweet as is. I've mixed it into a custard and baked it in a pie before. It's pretty similar to pumpkin pie.
    • bumpybecky
    • By bumpybecky 3rd Jun 06, 9:29 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 998 Thanks
    bumpybecky
    carrot cake

bet it'd freeze too (not iced) so you can have cake for months - yum
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 3rd Jun 06, 9:54 PM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 3,436 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    Definitely try carrot and potato mash, its really lovely. It also freezes quite well.

Home made coleslaw with grated carrot, shredded cabbage, finely diced onion, mayo and lemon juice.

I do grated raw carrot with some spices and vinaigrette dressing (lemon juice & olive oil),which is quite nice, sometimes add some diced onion - been a while since I made this, so think am missing something out here.

Another which I haven't done for ages was little fritters using grated carrot, grated courgette, diced onion and some grated cheese. Add some seasoned flour and beaten egg, combine well with veggies and fry for few mins either side, drain on kitchen paper. (I used to add curry spices to the mix, but you could omit or add any herbs or spices of your choice). Nice served with a plain dip and some salad.

Carrot Dip
    Onion finely chopped
    2-3 carrots grated
    Grated rind & juice of 1 or 2 oranges
    1 tblsp curry paste
    1/4 pint natural yoghourt
    1-2 tlbsp lemon juice
    salt & pepper to taste
    handful of fresh basil.

Place onion, carrots, orange rind & juice, curry paste in saucepan, bring to boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for about 10 mins. Place mixture in blender & process until smooth. Leave to cool.
    Stir in yoghourt and tear basil leaves into mixture, add lemon juice and salt and pepper.
    If you like you can add some chilli or tabasco sauce for an extra kick.

Serve with crudites, tortilla chips, breadsticks.
    • researcher
    • By researcher 4th Jun 06, 7:11 AM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 1,771 Thanks
    researcher
    I went to Southern India on holiday last month and they cook a lovely dish with carrots.

Dice carrots into small pieces.
    Into a little hot oil 'temper' (fry for a minute) some whole spices, (mustard seeds, cumin, coriander). Add the carrots and turn down heat, add some salt and stir fry for a few minutes. Just before ready to serve you can add a spoonful of coconut.

This is a recipe that you could +/- garlic/onion/chili/other veg/different spices etc and it's really lovely.
  • Gingham Ribbon
    I don't use carrots much, but get quite a few in my veg bag and I'm struggling to think of things to do with them. I'm making coleslaw for my mother in law on Thursday. Does anyone have a favourite traditional coleslaw recipe before I go shopping tonight?
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • AussieLass
    I love carrots lightly steamed or microwaved & then add about 1 tblsp honey. Delicious.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

• henhog
    Carrot curry

Carrots
    Onions
    maybe a green pepper
    make up some stock with orange juice and water
    natural yoghurt flavoured with curry powder and tomato puree

Cut the carrots up and boil with the onion and pepper in the orange juice and water until cooked. You may need to add more water or take some away! When the carrots are cooked add the yoghurt and warm through. Lovely with rice.

You can also add a banana if you have one just before you add the yoghurt.
  • henhog
    I don't use carrots much, but get quite a few in my veg bag and I'm struggling to think of things to do with them. I'm making coleslaw for my mother in law on Thursday. Does anyone have a favourite traditional coleslaw recipe before I go shopping tonight?
    by Gingham Ribbon
    Hi - you could try this, it's the one I make.
    a good firm green cabbage such as a sweetheart one. (half and quarter this, remove the core and shread it)
    Carrots - peeled and grated
    spring onions chopped
    2 big tablespoons of thick yog
    2 big tablespoons of mayonnaise
    salt and pepper
    fresh lemon juice

Just mix everything together!!

If you like you can add grapes, pineapple, raisins, prawns etc.
    • carrottopsuk
    • By carrottopsuk 1st Sep 06, 9:06 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    carrottopsuk
    1kg of Carrots
    Hi everyone!

I've bought 1kg carrots this evening from Sainsburys - 25p instead of 69p. best before 3rd September (although the one I snacked on earlier was very crunchy and juicy).

There's only me and I was wondering what I can do to get the best use out of them so there is no waste.

I'm vegetarian (but eat fish) by the way.

If I froze some of them, would I need to blanche them first and chop them up?

Once the carrots are thawed, would them lose their texture/crunch?

Alternatively, does anyone have any recipes with carrots in where I could freeze the meals afterwards?

Any suggestions appreciated.
    • hardpressed
    • By hardpressed 1st Sep 06, 9:10 PM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 1,514 Thanks
    hardpressed
    Carrot soup, carrot mash on its own or mixed with potato, chunks of carrot roasted with other root vegetables, carrot cake.
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 1st Sep 06, 9:10 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    I find they keep ages in the fridge anyway.
    Carrot soup is lovely, as is carrot cake.

You are not a vegetarian! Fish have faces too!

I did cook some fish once on a bed of grated carrot, VERY tasty
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

631Posts Today

7,285Users online

Martin's Twitter