oodles of carrots

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
297 replies 21.2K views

Replies

• squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K posts
    I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why, and perhaps it's just me, but carrots seem to taste different if they're whole, sliced into rounds, long ways, diced, or mashed...

..so if you're the same you could do portions of each for the freezer or just to ring the changes.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • wendyf_3wendyf_3 Forumite
    159 posts
    Was at supermarket today and got a wee bit carried away when buying my carrots and have bought hunners of them!

Anyone have any ideas what to do with them as they seem to go soft very quickly. What's the best way to store them or could you freeze them?

Thanks in advance
  • Carrot and coriander soup !
    Cheap, delicious, easy to make and warming!
  • squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K posts
    I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Listed under "cakes" in the Cooking Section of the MEGA Index there are some recipes for carrot cake and we have an older thread full of ideas on using up carrots which I'll merge this post with.

Since posts are listed in date order you'll need to read the thread from the beginning to catch up :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • twinktwink Forumite
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    if you buy a small bag of garden peat and put it in a pail you can bury the carrots in it and they will keep especially when they are unwashed make sure you keep them cool but frost free
  • IguanaIguana Forumite
    1.8K posts
    twink wrote:
    if you buy a small bag of garden peat and put it in a pail you can bury the carrots in it and they will keep especially when they are unwashed make sure you keep them cool but frost free

Does this work for other veg as well, like swede, parsnip, turnips?
  • twinktwink Forumite
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    yes i have kept carrots and turnips like that thats what they did in the old days before freezers they would cover potatoes with straw then earth on top when my family were all at home it was cheaper to buy a big bag of unwashed carrots and swede turnips and keep them in peat
  • juice some, with some apples and a slice of fresh ginger. Ive just bought a sack full! Im going to freeze them(after preparation)
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • betterbargains4ubetterbargains4u Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all

I have a glut of carrots and don't know what to make with them??!!
    Has anyone got any ideas? (clean and sensible ones...please)
    Was thinking along the lines of soup or something like that

Please help...otherwise they get fed to the rabbits!!!
    When life throws you lemons...put them in a gin and tonic !!
  • comping_catcomping_cat Forumite
    24K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I grate carrots and add them to mince, to make it go futher, and to get the children eating a little extra veg!!! You could grate them, add a little flour and an egg, fry them and have carrot fritters. I also love carrot, swede and mashed potato mixed together with loads of butter! Ive also frozen carrots before, when ive had loads, i normally blanch them first, but im sure i read somewhere that some people have just frozen them as they are?!