Universities and the myths

Options

Comments

• tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    I think I can fully grasp the material to be honest with you.

Do they teach you logic in philosophy?

If Phil works hard and fully grasps the material then he will get a decent grade. Else he'll get a 2:2! :p
  • studentphil
    studentphil Posts: 37,640 Forumite
    Options
    Sharifa wrote: »
    How come you constantly compare yourself to others when you know it increases your paranoia?

That is what the world does, namely, it compares someone with other people with poor degrees and classes them a drunk like the others with poor marks. And that is what makes me so mad that just for getting a certain mark the world classes you a drunk or waster.
    :beer:
  • Blacksheep1979
    Blacksheep1979 Posts: 4,224 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    well maybe that is another problem - you think you understand the material when the examiners, people with many more years experience than yourself, tend to disagree with you. Yes yours is a subjective course but I doubt all the examiners in all the modules are wrong and you are right.

Also on the you being cleverer than others - how are you making this judgement call?
  • studentphil
    Options
    tr3mor wrote: »

If Phil works hard and fully grasps the material then he will get a decent grade. Else he'll get a 2:2! :p

Phil works hard and fully grasps the material - that holds true but the result of good marks never has.
  • Blacksheep1979
    Blacksheep1979 Posts: 4,224 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tr3mor wrote: »

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

although maybe should be

If Phil works hard and fully grasps the material then he will get a decent grade. Else he'll get a 2:2!

or could be implies ?

If Phil works and fully grasps the material implies Phil will get a good grade
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    My son is taking his last A level exam today. :j

I'm sure he will do well at University. :)
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • studentphil
    Options
    well maybe that is another problem - you think you understand the material when the examiners, people with many more years experience than yourself, tend to disagree with you. Yes yours is a subjective course but I doubt all the examiners in all the modules are wrong and you are right.

Also on the you being cleverer than others - how are you making this judgement call?

I use your measure of grades showing intelligence. If people with far lower A level grades than me get degrees then I am more intelligent than them on A level grade terms. Therefore, by your lights it does hold true that people far less intelligent than me can get degrees.
  • Jennie_2
    Jennie_2 Posts: 2,122 Forumite
    Options
    My concern for you Phil, is that you make yourself a self fulfilling prophesy.

I think if you had an upturn in the way you feel about life, so many things for you would be better.

And before you say that life is unfair to you, you are stressed, depressed etc... you need to know that feels true for lots of us here too.

If you walk the walk and talk the talk of confidence you may just surprise yourself!!! You make your own luck, you really, really do!!! This will be one o the most important lessons to learn in life, believe me!!!
    :dance:Sometimes I sing and dance around the house in my underwear. Doesn't make me Madonna. Never will. :dance:
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    Phil works hard and fully grasps the material - that holds true but the result of good marks never has.

The examiners obviously disagree with you.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I have struggled physical pain in exams and yet universities only say you get up graded if you are near the next class

In the real world you have to work with the talents and abilities you have and to expect the world to bend over and let you do what ever you like because of your disabilities is not how it should be.

I admire people with disabilities who, with or without help to overcome the physical constraints of their problems, make it in the real world.

However if someone is not capable of doing a job or a gaining a qualification they should not get it just because they are disabled (or a woman or gay or whatever). By the same token if they are capable they should not be discounted for those reasons. ( Hope that makes sense it's hard to explain this in writing)

I suffer physical pain most days but I don't get my sales figures upgraded so I get my bonus if I don't hit my target . What I do get and appreciate is the understanding of my colleagues if I am having an off day and I and sometimes they have to work around how I am feeling.

It may sound harsh but most people have circumstances that are less than ideal but they get on with it and make a sucess of their life, whinging into a keyboard isn't going to help SP.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport