MSE News: 1.2m UK vehicles to be 'corrected' in Volkswagen emissions scandal

Options

Comments

• Bollotom
    Options
    When the software is remedied would the insurance companies not up their premiums, would one of these cars now pass the emissions for MoT and would there be detriment to the vehicle itself? Lots of answers needed and maybe VW are using this as the lesser of more than one evil. Goodness knows what else is wrong with the cars. I hope our toothless government give VW some supervisory team to check on all aspects. :cool:
  • callistris
    Options
    footyguy wrote: »

As I understand it, the main issue is that the VWs affected use a urea based chemical known as 'AdBlue' that is used to treat the exhaust fumes, to make them less toxic in the atmosphere.
    However, the chemical is not cheap. My neighbour told me the Audi dealer charges £75 to refill the Adblue chamber.

If Audi charge that much they are raking it in, we sell Ad Blue where I work.

200l is only £129 +vat

Smaller quantities such as 20ltr is only £14.99
  • shezza2
    shezza2 Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My Skoda Octavia diesel went in for MOT about six months ago and on the notifications it said " Emissions to low to read" to be honest I was pleased then and still am.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bollotom wrote: »
    When the software is remedied would the insurance companies not up their premiums..

Why? If anything a re-map 'fix' is likely to de-tune the engine, making it less powerful.
  • smjxm09
    smjxm09 Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    There's no safety issue involved, so it can't be a safety recall.

There is a public safety issue
  • smjxm09
    smjxm09 Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    shezza2 wrote: »
    My Skoda Octavia diesel went in for MOT about six months ago and on the notifications it said " Emissions to low to read" to be honest I was pleased then and still am.

This from a MOT tester on another website.

VW Emissions Scandal from an MoT tester's perspective - is this of interest?
    I am an MoT tester and only this week I tested a 2010 Golf 2.0 TDi 2.0. When it came to the emissions test like nearly all Golf that are 2010 2011 2012 registered, it would not rev past 2500 revs even with my foot down to the floor. Surely VOSA must have been aware that these cars were cheating the diesel opacity test a long time ago
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    There's no safety issue involved, so it can't be a safety recall.

Well a lot of reports I read suggest there will be a recall ... As I said, we'll have to wait and see because otherwise, as the DOT say, we are speculating on a hypothetical situation
  • Johno100
    Options
    smjxm09 wrote: »
    There is a public safety issue

The vehicles are perfectly safe, or are you looking at from a tree huggers point of view?
    smjxm09 wrote: »
    This from a MOT tester on another website.

VW Emissions Scandal from an MoT tester's perspective - is this of interest?
    I am an MoT tester and only this week I tested a 2010 Golf 2.0 TDi 2.0. When it came to the emissions test like nearly all Golf that are 2010 2011 2012 registered, it would not rev past 2500 revs even with my foot down to the floor. Surely VOSA must have been aware that these cars were cheating the diesel opacity test a long time ago

I think many cars from various makers, both diesel and petrol, are rev limited in neutral. My Ford isn't in neutral unless the clutch is depressed then it won't rev over about 3,000rpm. Apparently it's to protect the transmission if you drop the clutch at silly revs.
  • Johno100
    Options
    footyguy wrote: »
    Well a lot of reports I read suggest there will be a recall ... As I said, we'll have to wait and see because otherwise, as the DOT say, we are speculating on a hypothetical situation

Yes, but you can have a recall that is not a safety recall.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    callistris wrote: »
    If Audi charge that much they are raking it in, we sell Ad Blue where I work.

200l is only £129 +vat

Smaller quantities such as 20ltr is only £14.99

I'm sure Audi are!

Can I ask, how much do you buy engine oil for?
    And how much do you then charge a customer to change said oil?

Consumers can buy AdBlue from Halfords for £20 for 4litres.

The issue, as I understood it, was that as well as simply refilling the AdBlue resevoir, this is also linked to "knocking their lights out" as controlled by the Engine Management Unit.

So if you just do this yourself, you also need to also know how to reset the warning lights. Not something most average customers would have a clue how to do.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback