Does anybody use iZettle for taking payments ?

Options

Comments

• bluenitsuj
    bluenitsuj Posts: 383 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All

I have been thinking of doing the christmas circuit at fairs etc and have been getting confused with the best way to accept card payments. I have an I phone so presume WorldPay Zinc can now be used with the I phone.
    Can someone tell me if I need a merchant account, ie how does the money go into your selected account.
    Can the WorldPay Zinc machine also be used to take payment from a customer over the phone.

I also have a website but only use paypal as payment option so also looking to get credit/debit card payment option.
    I am only trying to help :rolleyes:
  • Brassedoff
    Brassedoff Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2013 at 8:54AM
    Options
    bluenitsuj wrote: »
    Hi All

I have been thinking of doing the christmas circuit at fairs etc and have been getting confused with the best way to accept card payments. I have an I phone so presume WorldPay Zinc can now be used with the I phone.
    Can someone tell me if I need a merchant account, ie how does the money go into your selected account.
    Can the WorldPay Zinc machine also be used to take payment from a customer over the phone.

I also have a website but only use paypal as payment option so also looking to get credit/debit card payment option.

With all these type of payment systems and accounts, when you set them up you "tie" an actual bank account to them, you do not need a merchant account, it can even be paid into a personal account.

At the same time you can tie a phone to it for extra verification. So when you log in, you get a code on your phone to verify its you.

So you are at an outside location and you need to sell something, you have a customer who needs to buy something off you. Using your terminal you complete the transaction. By International convention, all payments must stay in the ether for 72 hours for fraud checking. Once they have passed this they enter your account.

In your account feature list you have a system for transferring money from your online account to a real bank. You would have previously tied the online and bank account so they know its real. The transfer can take as long as five days as one of my online accounts do, right to two hours as another one I have does.

simples.jpg
  • catmulogen
    Options
    Could someone who already uses Worldpay zinc please just clarify for me how long it takes to complete the transactions? (ie is there a lot of messing around with your mobile & the card reader?) and does the customer get a receipt?

Many thanks :)
    Life's too short for wasting on ifs and might have beens...........
  • chalkie99
    chalkie99 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    catmulogen wrote: »
    Could someone who already uses Worldpay zinc please just clarify for me how long it takes to complete the transactions? (ie is there a lot of messing around with your mobile & the card reader?) and does the customer get a receipt?

Many thanks :)

It's pretty straightforward.

One touch on the 'phone to start the app and press a button on the terminal to fire that up. The 'phone and terminal pair via bluetooth.

Tap the sales amount into the 'phone screen and hand the terminal to the customer. It's as quick and basic as it could possibly be really.

If yoy are taking a payment over the 'phone (customer not present) you don't use the terminal - you log in to a web page on your computer and enter the card details there.

Receipt wise, you have the option of sending one direct to the customer via text or email and, if it's a terminal sale with the customer there, you can also give a handwritten receipt via a printed pad o forms supplied by WorldPay.

Hope this helps.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    edited 18 August 2013 at 10:52AM
    Options
    The transactions (Worldpay) take a few seconds once you're set up, the terminal has its own batteries and power management, you turn it on, open the phone app, enter the amount and any notes to yourself onto your phone, customer inserts their card and enters pin, phone tells you when done (very fast), and offers if you want to hand-write a receipt or SMS or email. I suggest SMS as a first option, people receive it there and then. Email has to get past spam filters and is harder to type accurately into your phone. Hand written receipts are just that, you fill in the boxes on a paper pad. Slow, cumbersome, last resort.

Cash in your bank by the next morning usually I've found. They transfer the full amount to your account (easier to track) then direct debit the fees applicable. Loads of different reports available online via their commercial webmis interface.
  • earthstorm
    earthstorm Posts: 2,134 Forumite
    Options
    Old thread but here goes

Looked at iZettle, even got their adaptor, pity its just for certain iPhone and iPads and if you want android you have to pay for it ( and only certain models) and if you have other smartphones such as a Blackberry then forget it as they dont do them.
    In the end i chose to go with Payatrader.com and have had no problem.
  • damec
    Options
    Thinking about going with Worldpay Zinc and the £12.99 per month plan. I think my android phone is compatible with the app, but thinking about getting a cheapish android tablet for around £100 for a more professional appearance. The compatible devices list on the website is rather small, but am I right in thinking that if the tablet has bluetooth and can access the play store, then the app will work perfectly? And can anyone recommend a tablet to do the job?
  • paddyrg
    Options
    damec wrote: »
    Thinking about going with Worldpay Zinc and the £12.99 per month plan. I think my android phone is compatible with the app, but thinking about getting a cheapish android tablet for around £100 for a more professional appearance. The compatible devices list on the website is rather small, but am I right in thinking that if the tablet has bluetooth and can access the play store, then the app will work perfectly? And can anyone recommend a tablet to do the job?

Hiya,

You don't have to install the app from the play store, you can install it directly from Worldpay if you need to. The advantage of a phone over a tablet is 3G data, means you can take cards anywhere you go, but any modern tablet should work just fine over WiFi.

Why not try installing the app on your phone, you can always remove it. If it installs, it should work just fine.

The Google Nexus 7 is great as it is always up to date in terms of OS, and is pretty much subsidised by Google, extremely good value for the quality of machine. Massively cheaper than an Apple one, too. You will also probably find just about any modern tablet will handle it easily though.

Or have a look at the new Android phones with larger screens which straddle the gap. I use a Galaxy Note 2 which everyone initially thought was too big, but now loads of companies are producing similar devices. 5.5 inch screen, barely use my tablet now. Few options there for you :)

BTW why not try the PAYG plan first before signing up for the £12.99 one? They will always let you upgrade, and you might find it cheaper whilst you're getting it established. Remember, if you buy the handset online you can get money off with a referral.
  • paddyrg
    Options
    damec wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick indepth reply :) Will get this sorted this week hopefully, will pm you for a referral when ready. Thanks again

You'll be entirely welcome to do so, too :-) Otherwise there are other people able to refer in the referrals forum as well. HTH
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hi everyone

Just a reminder referrals can be requested on the Referrers Board but not on the main forum.

Thank you :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories