PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)

Options

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 January 2019 at 10:12AM
    Options
    Miword Bob yes, wheel brace it is.

I was confusing my braces with my irons (always unfortunate in a gel) and recalling m'grandfather's advice
    When you are in some form of trouble, your main goal should be to play the highest-percentage shot, and return back to safety.
    but he'd carry one of these in his car at all times for the same reason.
    It was a local copper doing an awareness session at the local garage Ladies Night who was vehement that the extending thing gave a gal leverage in situations she might rather not find herself.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dig for Victory - granddad's advice as very good. I used to have a starting handle in the car for justin! And yes I can and have used it for its intended purpose ;)
    Nothing comparable in modern cars now - mores the pity.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We have and always have had a pickaxe handle without it's metal head in the walking stick container in the hall for 'justin' times and we have upstairs a wonderfully heavy ebony tribal walking stick brought back from Africa for HWK by some friends which is for the same purpose. For self defence a swipe at the lower leg area of the assailant with either of these will be more likely to distract them than trying for a head/shoulders or upper body hit. You're more likely to connect with the bits below the hips and put them off balance.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    silvasava wrote: »
    Dig for Victory - granddad's advice as very good. I used to have a starting handle in the car for justin! And yes I can and have used it for its intended purpose ;)
    Nothing comparable in modern cars now - mores the pity.

For a minute there I thought 'Justin' was an over-amorous boyfriend. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Miword Bob yes, wheel brace it is.

That's something else that annoys me.
    Wheel nut wrench with dual size sockets

Since when do we call it a "wrench"?
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Knees are useful joints but, being a simple hinge under a bony kneecap, are surprisingly easy to tackle.

Blow/ kick to the back of the knee joint, and the hinge folds forward. It the person's weight is on that particular knee, they'll likely fall over. If their weight is on both knees, they'll still stagger and may fall.

Blow to the outside of the knee? Bones not far under the skin and not a lot of padding. Likely to put a crimp in anyone's running style.

Blow straight over the kneecap? Whiteout levels of pain and suffering. Stick thrust between the knees/ shin, particularly if person is in rapid motion and they're liable to take a tumble. If one got lucky they might even concuss themselves and allow ample time for scuttling away.

A technique for particularly close quarter struggling is to trap another person's foot under your own and hip-barge them to knock them off balance, while preventing them moving said foot to recover their balance. The passive-aggressive riding school horses were very good at this one.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,407 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Blimey GQ I wouldn't like to meet you down a dark alley :rotfl:.
    I'm still playing with the vacuum sealer that Santa left :D I've just checked my stores and I have only one tin of toms :eek:. Sorry to let the side down and I shall now go and sit on the naughty step :(. Still got plenty of unopened chocs and booze though :j
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Knees are useful joints but, being a simple hinge under a bony kneecap, are surprisingly easy to tackle.
    A technique for particularly close quarter struggling is to trap another person's foot under your own and hip-barge them to knock them off balance, while preventing them moving said foot to recover their balance. The passive-aggressive riding school horses were very good at this one.:rotfl:

Also by the laidback Shire horses of my acquaintance. I’m unwilling to thump them with tools.

Love Miss Congeniality (girly funny film) & SING - stands for solar plexus, instep (foot), nose and groin...

Watch it sometime? Funny & may come in handy..
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Blimey GQ I wouldn't like to meet you down a dark alley :rotfl:.
    I'm still playing with the vacuum sealer that Santa left :D I've just checked my stores and I have only one tin of toms :eek:. Sorry to let the side down and I shall now go and sit on the naughty step :(. Still got plenty of unopened chocs and booze though :j
    :D I don't go down alleys, dark or otherwise. But I'm a puddytat unless very much crossed, in which case all's fair (I have health problems which mean running away fast isn't going to happen). I'd only hit you if you tried to hit me first (and missed, hopefully;)).

In the past 24 hours, an acquaintance of mine (male, able-bodied, about 30) was walking down a pretty benign alleyway in a pretty benign neighbourhood in broad daylight. He saw two persons some distance ahead of him engaged in what appeared at first glance to be drug-related activity.

He decided a 180 degree turn was prudent, to remove any possibility of definately seeing anything they might not want to be seen. He didn't expect the female to come after him with effing and jeffing and demanding to know who he was phoning (he was not on his phone, he was listening to music). Then her male companion caught up, there was some more effing and jeffing, the guy swung him around and punched him in the face.

:eek: This was reported to the Police at the time it happened, when the perpetrators were still on the scene. Sorry, too busy, they're planning to interview him about it 72 hours after the event. Fat.lot.of.good. etc

My takeaways;

1. Stay out of even benign(ish) alleyways.
    2. Do not walk around the streets listening to music.
    3. Be the Wise Monkey - see nothing. Conspiciously nothing.
    4. The Police are mainly a crime-recording organisation. They cannot and will not protect you from crime.*

* This one has been an observable truth in my part of the forest for many years.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good lord, GQ, thats appalling! Food for thought, actually - there's a *lot* of footpaths in my town, not alleys, but footpaths, i.e. much narrower than alleyways. Lighting is often pretty grim, and not using them often means a detour - sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes more.

Makes me think about what your friend did ... if he'd carried on walking towards them, I wonder how they'd have reacted?
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport