PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)

Options

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,897 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    That deal locks us into the EU forever, and is in breach of the UK Constitution.

The UK doesn't have a constitution

We held a non-binding, advisory vote which the government is implementing in whatever way they choose, as is their job as representatives of the people.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 11 January 2019 at 5:55PM
    Options
    Brexit thread if you want politics THIS ONE is about PREPPING FOR DISASTERS!!!

I have deleted my post that had the original question in it, I can only apologise to all regular preppers for having stirred the hornets nest and let them in here to be irritating, many apologies to you all.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 11 January 2019 at 10:28PM
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    It was only ever an advisory referendum.

Really?

From the leaflet entitled "Why the Government believes that voting to remain in the European Union is the best decision for the UK."
    This is your decision. The Government will implement what you decide.
    Your quote confirmed what I said - Unilateral withdrawal of Article 50 is permitted.

Did you miss the bit I highlighted?
    provided that the revocation has been decided upon in accordance with the Member State’s constitutional requirements.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    The UK doesn't have a constitution

Yes it does.

https://www.bl.uk/magna-carta/articles/britains-unwritten-constitution
    We held a non-binding, advisory vote

No we didn't.

As above:-

From the leaflet entitled "Why the Government believes that voting to remain in the European Union is the best decision for the UK."
    This is your decision. The Government will implement what you decide.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Really?

From the leaflet entitled "Why the Government believes that voting to remain in the European Union is the best decision for the UK.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_Referendum_Act_2015

This link confirms that the referendum was consultative.
    Did you miss the bit I highlighted?
    No
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Wikipedia as a resource? I never expected to see such a thing on the prepping thread. ;)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Bob, I think it was I who talked about having a powerbank after my daughter was caught up in the periphery of the London Bridge attack with hardly any charge left on her phone. That device looks good, thanks - I’ll check it out. Though knowing her, it’ll be up to me to make sure it stays charged. But that’s what mums are for
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,909 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 January 2019 at 10:22AM
    Options
    I was watching some TV program about huge structures abandoned - and one of several was the city beside the Chernobyl reactor, Pripyat.
    It was a complete New Town, so everything was laid out with loads of elbow room & planned for & well mapped, which helped get 50 thousand people out, on coaches, in one pass.
    They were told they were only going for a few days. (Let's be a little more detailed, people were falling ill within *hours* of the big explosion but as it was so new, all the infrastructure was under 20 years old.)

If someone said "leave your home, take all family & pets, but it's only for a few days" - what would you leave behind? Other than the garden, the shed, the pantry, any vehicles - what do you take 'to make sure of' when away from your own place for a few days?

I'm beginning to think my EDC data should not just include evidence of ID but the things that anchor me in my space & time, family photos, the family tree, medical reminders (like the three of us on life meds need X of A, V of B & M of C through the day, child 3 will need a measles booster (or whatever) in 2021, last saw dentist valentines day) as well as the usual admin lists & logisitics.

I can't carry a portrait of a long dead relative, I can carry a ophoto. I wouldn't deam of dragging sons exam certificates for a few days but I should carry the photos. I'll porbbaly have passport & driving licence & must remind the lads to carry theirs, but again I should have their birth certificates & recent bank statement photos. (As if mum doesn't, will a teenage lad think to?!)

(And then I stop and think, if this lands in the wrong hands, hello ID theft galore but if scared & being relocated, I think I'd want to know this data was held & safe.)

ETA we’ve not got any friends, family, etc in Bavaria & south Germany at the mo? Awful lot of snow fallen...
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    If you are in a situation where you have to run for your life - think major fire near a gas main or plane crashing on Lockerbie or huge conflagration in an inner city - then you need to have a BOB ready to grab and just go.
    If it's full of stuff then you will either get stuck in a stairwell, fall over and be trampled, or get knackered fast and end up emptying it in the street if not abandoning it altogether. Think of the pics of French refugees in WW2, carrying mattresses and grandfather clocks etc.. Not going to work!
    Think minimalist and think of it all as just "stuff" - you can start again always ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure