Frump to Fab - A Whole New World.

Options

Comments

• savingmore
    Options
    thanks for the recommendation on the weighted blanket wednesday, i am going to get one this month and just didn’t know where to start deciding so will have a look at that one.

from seeing so many ill over. hristmas, i have spent the weekend in bed feeling lousy. travelling home tomorrow so hope i feel better....hoping to start on all my challenges at weekend.

glad you are feeling better LL, it’s been a long time for you. any idea what you might see at the theatre next month?
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    savingmore wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendation on the weighted blanket Wednesday, I am going to get one this month and just didn’t know where to start deciding so will have a look at that one.

They may be in stock now but our John Lewis only had information and some sample pieces available last month. I think the popularity had almost taken them by surprise. I have to confess I'd never even heard of them until DGD put it on her Christmas list. I ordered mine Click & Collect to be delivered to our local Waitrose. I'm glad I did as they have a car park whereas I'd have needed to carry it from John Lewis. Surprisingly enough, they're heavy.:D

Art group was OK last night but not one of the better ones. The talk was called Jewelled Journeys about opulent travelling from the Ancient Egyptians up to about Victorian times. So the actual transport modes like boats to train carriages and some of the luggage and other items that the wealthy took with them. He was a good speaker though, a jeweller by profession who'd made all the paste pieces for Downton Abbey. :)

I noticed that there are other groups in my area so I might drop into a few more if I find the subjects interesting. I love the peace of visiting galleries and having some knowledge can add to the experience although it's really not essential.

It's wet and miserable here again today although not as wild as yesterday. I'm planning to have a sort out of my winter skirts later. I need to decide whether there are any I'm never going to wear as It's already January and some are still stored from last year. :think:

As I'm not going out until later I've put the flaxseed oil on instead of my serum. I may look like a greasy chip but it really does work!:D
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 14 January 2020 at 1:24PM
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies...

Maman. My donation to the charity shop yesterday was mainly skirts and sweaters that I decided were a bit old fashioned or just plain boring. :rotfl: I thought they were a bit "mumsey". Like you I figured it was January and I hadn't worn any of them so I could safely get rid.

Actually since losing weight I have changed my style a bit. I feel it's a bit more modern and youthful. One of the joys of losing all that extra weight is that I can now dress for fun and pleasure rather than always looking for styles, cuts and colours to cheat and make myself look slimmer Iyswim.

Choosing clothes and dressing nicely is so much easier now and so much more fun these days but it has also been a bit of a learning curve. It's trial and error but I think I'm getting there, experimenting, refining my style and honing my look.

My new mantra is "WWHMD" - What would Helen Mirren Do. :rotfl: Would she wear mumsey clothes, bet your sweet a@@ she would not. So I got rid. Time to up the glamour stakes, show off my new svelte shape. I don't need to hide my body anymore.I won't suddenly be revealing a lot of flesh but rather I shall concentrate on clothes that enhance rather than camouflage.

One thing I have found is that photos give a much better idea than the mirror of how I actually look, so now if a garment doesn't look good on me in photos I get rid. I think it's easy to delude ourselves when we look in a mirror. The camera is a much harsher critic and will reveal that actually that bra is no good, or that style of trouser makes me look short and dumpy. So now my clothes have to pass the photo test.

My DIL paid me a lovely compliment the other day. As you know her family are all very glamourous Latinos, seriously beautiful and good looking and it's hard not to feel a bit intimidated by them at times. And as they are all quite wealthy they can afford the best beauty treatments and fabulous clothes. They are all fashion mad. They are a big family and she has has several aunts all around my age. Anyway, unknown to me she often sends them pictures of me and my home. Apparently they've all told her they love my style, that they think I'm elegant and "classy".

I felt a bit embarrassed by their comments and laughed it off but she said no you really do look great these days.

Nice to know.......:rotfl:

I think my modus operandi of not trying to copy them But rather to concentrate on finding a style that suits me, my height, colouring has paid off. I do feel a lot more confident with my wardrobe choices now and I don't make so many mistakes.

Grey and miserable here, although thankfully not raining. Need to pop out for some milk and fruit and veg but no real plans. A bit more sorting and decluttering perhaps. Give myself a facial and manicure later.

Maman. Your comments about joining groups for talks etc is interesting and it's definitely on my agenda this year. I'm definitely up for broadening my horizons this year. Aiming to get the kitchen done by early May and then I'll have a lot more time to pursue other interests. Try new things and feed my mind.....so exhibitions, talks, lectures, seminars etc.

Tomorrow, I'm going with a friend to see a costume exhibition. 20s and 30s clothes, I think mainly evening wear. Designers such as Worth, Chanel - should be fun. Especially as my friend is actually a dress designer (semi retired). She is a Londoner, now decamped to the wilds of Derbyshire, who worked in the rag trade all her life. She is very stylish in that odd "designery" way of dressing. Very offbeat. She's a Londoner through and through but she reminds me a bit of Yoko Ono.

She really knows her stuff so she will be a fabulous guide tomorrow. Then a nice lunch and possibly a trip to a couple of chazzers. She really knows vintage so I love browsing round charity shops with her.

Right time to get cracking.....brunch first. Doing well on WW, enjoying healthy eating again and getting back on track. It's true, we are what we eat. I feel tons better.
  • littlegreenparrot
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    Art group was OK last night but not one of the better ones. The talk was called Jewelled Journeys about opulent travelling from the Ancient Egyptians up to about Victorian times. So the actual transport modes like boats to train carriages and some of the luggage and other items that the wealthy took with them. He was a good speaker though, a jeweller by profession who'd made all the paste pieces for Downton Abbey. :)

I noticed that there are other groups in my area so I might drop into a few more if I find the subjects interesting. I love the peace of visiting galleries and having some knowledge can add to the experience although it's really not essential.

Have you come across the National Art pass? It gets you into lots of places for free, and 50% off a lot of exhibitions.

I've been thinking about it, and you can currently get a 3 month trial one for £15, so now might be the time :)
  • Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Trying my best to keep on top of my skin routine, and it seems to be working. I have been running the straighteners through my hair most mornings too, which I haven't done in years!

Weather is shocking here but I did manage a 4mile walk on sat, and have signed up for a 15mile walk in May. Bought some walking boots so will be out in them at the weekend I think
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

My daughter has now fully recovered and is able to return to work tomorrow. :j:D

I am still unwell, so I am getting as much as rest as possible around having the normal household cleaning and cooking to do. :cool:

I hope that all of you other ladies who are unwell, will soon turn the corner and recover your good health.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's really good news about your DD sugarbaby. There seem to be lots of bugs around at the moment that go on and on. Hopefully now that you're not having to nurse her you can focus on yourself.:)

I have heard on the National Art pass but not sure I go to enough paid exhibitions to make use of it. I think recently it's only been Pre-Raphaelite women that I've had to pay an entrance fee for but it's something to think about for the future greenparrot. We still haven't used the English Heritage membership that we bought recently.

I looked through my skirts. There were 5 that I hadn't worn. I wore one last night. It's a grey velvet White Stuff skirt with embroidered leaves. Their patterned skirts are quite timeless so I'll keep that. I'm dancing again tonight so I'll wear another one to try and see how I feel in it. :)

Because it was so horrible yesterday I sat on the sofa in the afternoon and made up some tea cosies. 2 are finished, 1 has the bobble ready to be sewed on. I'll crack on with another later.

It's bright and dry here....at the moment.;)
  • thepurplepixie
    Options
    Feeling a bit down, not sure why. Decided to make myself a lemon meringue pie for lunch, just had a slice with a cuppa and I have to say it was lovely and I'm trying to resist having another. Grandson coming for dinner tonight so making a curry, does lemon meringue sound right for after a curry? I sort of think it doesn't but on the other hand I think I could eat it after anything. If he doesn't fancy it then it's more for me so a win win really.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not really feeling fab at the moment :o
    Had a really bad fall on Monday night.Went out to get a parcel n slipped n fell.Couldn't get up, as my right leg had gone completely numb.My neighbours came to help, but I had to literally crawl back into the house, n sort of drag myself up on the sofa! Very scary , n I'm full of bruises n very sore now :(
    Still waiting for the neurology appointment :mad:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • thepurplepixie
    thepurplepixie Posts: 3,604 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 January 2020 at 10:45PM
    Options
    Candygirl so sorry to hear that, I'm feeling down about nothing so not surprised you aren't feeling great after a fall like that. Hope you are feeling better soon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback