PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Found Broker - 16th October
    Mortgage in Principle - 20th October
    Mortgage documents requested - 20th - 8th November
    Mortgage Offer - 9th November
    Valuation Requested - 9th November
    Homebuyers Requested - 9th November
    Solictors Searches Started - 10th November (estimated 10-15 days)

Thats where we're at.
    We're so nervous yet so excited

It seems unusual to have a mortgage offer before the valuation is carried out?
  • CommitedToChange
    CommitedToChange Posts: 1,325 Forumite
    edited 10 November 2017 at 1:46PM
    Options
    My timeline so far:

06/9/17 - Met broker, handed over all docs and did factfind
    09/9/17 - view 4 house, really love number 3, sleep on decision
    10/9/17 - put in offer - accepted an hour later!
    11/9/17 - API sorted with Pepper
    11/9/17 - solicitor instructed -
    12/9/17 - full application put in
    30/9/17 - valuation done
    6/10/17 - Mortgage offer received for full amount :j:j:j:j:j
    10/10/17 - money on account given to sols to start searches etc
    16/10/17 - I have to tell my sol that my forms are in the office - sat on an empty desk!
    17/10/17 - mortgage offer signed and sent back
    08/11/17 - find out I am now in chain and my sellers have only just done their survey, hopes of
    being in for Christmas are fading fast :(
    10/11/17 - contract finally received Sol to look at over weekend and report back on Monday

Trying not to be too disapointed that I won't be in for Christmas - my sellers have said that they will try, but I can't imagine their sellers will want to move into rented or other accomodation right before Christmas to help us along, even if they have agreed to break the chain. :(
  • Gawatate
    Options
    Surrey_EA wrote: »
    The draft contract, along with supporting documentation, is sent to your solicitor by the solicitor acting on behalf of the owner of the property you wish to buy. Therefore the vendors EA have no control over how quickly these documents are sent out. You should call the vendors EA and ask them to chase their client's solicitor.

It is likely that the vendor themselves have not provided something to their solicitor, which is holding the solicitor up.

Thanks for this, i called the EA who told me that they had sacked the previous solicitor and had appointed a new one 2 weeks ago and had we not recieved her email with the new memorandum of sale . eeerrrmm i wouldnt be calling and asking would I....i mean what are the chances that her email failed to reach 3 email adresses that she had conveniently emailed on a regular when she was chasing us? i went ape !!!! and told her we will now be looking at other properties and her vendor will be looking for a new buyer at this rate because of her . Her manager just called me to try and calm me down . i have now recieved the new memorandum of sale dated today :rotfl: and our solicitor will start chasing
  • Louizeg
    Louizeg Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    We completed this morning, got the call just before 11. I'm so pleased with the work my solicitor put in this week to make sure this process was quick and painless.
    Good luck to everyone x
  • SassySaver88
    Options
    mortgage company have approved our mortgage i mean xxx
    @Surrey_EA
  • RXT156
    RXT156 Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    Soooooooooo it has been one month exactly since my offer was accepted on a property :)

In that month there has been a fair few delays due to miscommunication and Purple Bricks being a bit useless at times but there has been a fair bit of progress in the last two weeks.

Mortgage approved, valuation done and memo of sale has been sent (this took much longer than it should have due to Purple Bricks using the wrong email address). Contracts have been sent to my solicitor and they are being reviewed, searches were requested this week too :T

Assuming that everything is OK with searches and contracts, what else is left to do?!?! :D
  • Pumpkim
    Pumpkim Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    Frantic day today.
    The good news is the lender approved the new indemnity policy first thing this morning so then it was all systems go to agree exchange and completion as this was the last piece of work for the whole chain :j

Then the bad news starts. The chain above all want completion on 17th November but have conceded that it won't happen and have agreed to work towards 24th instead. We're also happy with this. Unfortunately our buyer won't budge on her '4 weeks between exchange and completion' plan :mad: Our solicitor and hers had a heated discussion apparently, after which he emailed our solicitor to apologise. The buyer also sent a snotty email to our estate agent, saying she's been wanting to exchange for more than a month but everyone else was delaying and she can't understand why we're all talking about a completion date when we haven't agreed an exchange date :mad::mad: She will be willing to discuss completion when we've exchanged contracts and she's handed in her rental notice :eek: However, she'll happily move sooner if the chain above pay her rent for the month :eek:
    Has her solicitor not explained this process at all!?!

I've been so wound up with it all today and hardly able to concentrate at work, but despite all our best efforts, she will not budge. We're now exploring what her price is but unfortunately her solicitor didn't come back to mine before the end of the day. We were actually already considering agreeing to meet her half way with her rent because we do sympathise with the difficulty of paying rent and mortgage but the way she demanded and has been so uncooperative with trying to reach a compromise has made me me not want to do anything. Unfortunately moving in mid to late December would be a nightmare for us, so we will probably just have to suck it up, our solicitor is seeing what the rest of the chain think. I would like to think they would agree to contribute, she is their problem too after all but I'm not holding my breath :(

What a day! :beer: needed:p
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Options
    Because my offer was accepted on 2 June and they have messed about and messed up constantly since then.

They are so incompetent that I do not believe there would not be another hold up after this one. They guaranteed they were ready to exchange a month ago. Then it got pushed back again and again and last Friday promised it was early this week.

If I accept this latest delay I am convinced they'll mess up again and back we go.

Looking back, the madness was to stay with this purchase when the signs were from the start that the vendor is thick as two short planks and the conveyancers were about as much use as a roomful of monkeys.

That's the wonder of hindsight, but you are of course right, there does come a point at which you will have to cut your losses.
    But there's still no need to change the completion date
    The vendor probably isn't the person you should be talking to.
    Get your solicitor to earn his money and ask the question directly of their solicitor...."are they actually from a legal point of view ready to exchange is there anything other than their will preventing them " if the answer is yes and no to those two questions then you are in a position to start laying down an ultimatum.
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Options
    You are correct, I'm not too concerned about the condition (as it was in pretty bad condition when I viewed it last and have a full refurbishment planned) but I did say I'm planning to inspect it with builders after eviction and before exchange - just in case the old tenant has done something irreversible and I want to see what rubbish they've left behind that I can get the vendor to clear out.

Wise move, evicted tenants often leave loads of rubbish behind, make sure the vendor is going to clear the place, write it into the contract as a rider if necessary.
    Hope the tenant doesn't cause any malicious damage, have a really good detailed look
  • dancing_star
    Options
    chappers wrote: »
    The vendor probably isn't the person you should be talking to.

I'm not.

The EA and the vendor's conveyancers can very rarely get hold of the stupid woman on the phone, she hardly ever answers calls. I've no idea who she is or where she is. All I know is that she is thick (her conveyancer said as much to my solicitor)
    chappers wrote: »
    Get your solicitor to earn his money and ask the question directly of their solicitor...."are they actually from a legal point of view ready to exchange is there anything other than their will preventing them " if the answer is yes and no to those two questions then you are in a position to start laying down an ultimatum.

My solicitor has been excellent and has gone beyond the call of duty. She has done exactly that when she was able to get through (on the rare occasion the vendor's conveyancers will answer her phone calls, yes the phone rings out and the receptionist refuses to put her through) and they are not ready to exchange until they get a correctly signed contract from the vendor. They admitted they didn't check the contract properly first time round. But since they've said they were ready to exchange twice before, I hold their word with very little esteem.

Today's news was (which again,my sol had to chase because the vendor's conveyancers couldn't be bothered to inform her) that they had traced the recorded delivery signed contract, and the vendor had posted it at noon today.

So it's looking like Monday. As to whether my mortgage provider will still accept the 24th for completion, well that is unknown.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback