PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

Options

Comments

• fbfbfb_2
    Options
    I recieved a letter from ct capital offering me the chance to complain if I felt I was missold ppi. From their records they were the brokers who arranged a secured loan with southern pacific personal loans in april 2005. This was a single payment ins that was added to the loan. I could not have told you this, as they sent us all the paperwork with x's marked where we were to sign. We really needed this loan and trusted where we were to sign. I contacted ct capital regarding the letter and was asked if we recieved our pay if off sick, and did we have life ins. The answer to both was yes. Days later I recieved word saying they are investigating the complaint.

We remortgaged in 2006 and paid this loan off.

I have since found an old letter from the mort lender we were with at the time we purchased the loan through ct capital, and it says the date their was a 2nd charge on the property was april 2004.

Reading other peoples comments on here regarding ct capital, it seems they were not regulated until the year after we purchased the loan. (although according to their records "the sale of the loan took place on april 2005)

Am I right in thinking if they do not uphold the complaint, there is nothing I can do about it.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • markdavey
    markdavey Posts: 617 Forumite
    Options
    Raven_1979 wrote: »
    Hello everyone

I am a first time poster here and apologise for the fact that this question may have been asked and answered many times within these thousands of threads but here goes anyway....

Over many years I took on many different loans and credit cards. I was forever 'consolidating loans' and used a number of different companies to do so. I am now, thankfully, loan free but i am pretty certain I took on a lot of PPI simply because I thought I had to have it to get the loans. The problem is that once I paid off a loan/card, I ceremoniously binned all paperwork as if to say 'that is you sorted sucker!' which means I have no means of knowing who these loans were with and obviously no paperwork. Yep, guess I am the sucker now.

So, my question is - how do i find out who I had loans with and what their start and end dates were? If I was able to access my credit history record would they be they be on a credit check list or am I basically wasting my time even trying to start this process without paperwork, dates and even the names of companies.

I would love to hear from anyone who can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance...

Sam (The Raven)

You could try checking your credit file or check old bank statements (if you have them) for loan payments. Failing that you would need to have at least an idea who the loans were with and send each institution a SAR request (along with the £10 fee for each) to see if they have any information on file for you that may help.

With what you have said, if you can find no details through the above methods, your quite obviously scuppered....
  • sashtom
    Options
    Hi Everybody,

Wanted to ask for advice as wasn't sure what to do.

I have taken out a PPI with dixons retail for my laptop without realising from 2007 and am in the process of claiming my money back from them.

In the meantime whilst the correspondence is going on between us they are still taking out 8.49 from my bank account each month. My laptop is broken, is it worth claiming on this whilst the PPI claim is going on or should I cancel the transaction?

What would be in my best interest?

I'll be so grateful for any help you can give.

:rotfl:
  • leighbo_2
    Options
    I am now going Omnibudsman route as Lloyds TSB said my wife ticked a box requesting PPI however her ticks are so unusual and distinctive that we asked for proof - we were told omnibudsman and ta ta, given the fact we did in fact get missold PPI by Nationwide but we noticed after 3-4 payments and were refunded 6 yrs ago ! My question is would this evidence be taken into account by the omnibudsman as we have the letters stating the facts ? Lloyds have admitted that we had it as did Nationwide ( unbeknown to us) and any unscrupulous agent could have ticked a box and front loaded the PPI ,as soon as we realised we cancelled with Nationwide and were refunded, our case is based upon we were not sold knowingly and on the occasions we discovered this we cancelled - do we have a strong case ?
  • sandalwood_2
    Options
    Hello
    My mother is in the process of claiming back her PPI on her credit card-has had the card for over 20 years
    They have offered her £5k-should she accept this,or take it to the financial ombudsman to see if she will be offered more?
    I feel that £5k isn't enough over the period time she has had it
    Can anyone offer any advice?

thank you
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sandalwood wrote: »
    Hello
    My mother is in the process of claiming back her PPI on her credit card-has had the card for over 20 years
    They have offered her £5k-should she accept this,or take it to the financial ombudsman to see if she will be offered more?

thank you

The redress method is defined. There is no haggling involved. Going to the FOS will just delay the payment by 12-18 months.

Chances are the figure doesnt go back over 20 years. Most credit card providers dont hold data that long. Some as little as 6 years. They are only required to pay back what has proven to be paid. If your mother has old statements going back 20 years then she can use those as evidence of the amounts paid. However, if she doesnt have them and they dont have them then there is no evidence to support a higher payment.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    sandalwood wrote: »
    Hello

thank you

You're only going to get back what was actually paid plus interest. You're only charged PPI for the monthly amount owing, not a set amount every month, and unless they've stipulated it's a goodwill offer, then you won't get any more from anyone no matter who you complain to.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • -taff
    Options
    sashtom wrote: »
    Hi Everybody,

Wanted to ask for advice as wasn't sure what to do.

I have taken out a PPI with dixons retail for my laptop without realising from 2007 and am in the process of claiming my money back from them.

In the meantime whilst the correspondence is going on between us they are still taking out 8.49 from my bank account each month. My laptop is broken, is it worth claiming on this whilst the PPI claim is going on or should I cancel the transaction?

What would be in my best interest?

I'll be so grateful for any help you can give.

:rotfl:

I doubt your 8.49 is for PPI, it's more likely to be for a warranty. Find out exactly what it's for, and if it's a warranty, then use it.
  • -taff
    Options
    leighbo wrote: »
    I am now going Omnibudsman route as Lloyds TSB said my wife ticked a box requesting PPI however her ticks are so unusual and distinctive that we asked for proof - we were told omnibudsman and ta ta, given the fact we did in fact get missold PPI by Nationwide but we noticed after 3-4 payments and were refunded 6 yrs ago ! My question is would this evidence be taken into account by the omnibudsman as we have the letters stating the facts ? Lloyds have admitted that we had it as did Nationwide ( unbeknown to us) and any unscrupulous agent could have ticked a box and front loaded the PPI ,as soon as we realised we cancelled with Nationwide and were refunded, our case is based upon we were not sold knowingly and on the occasions we discovered this we cancelled - do we have a strong case ?

What Nationwide said has no bearing on your complaint with Lloyds. You can say that had you noticed, you would have cancelled it, but that's not a complaint about the way it was sold, just a complaint that you didn't notice.
    Look for a verifiable reason.
  • sandalwood_2
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    The redress method is defined. There is no haggling involved. Going to the FOS will just delay the payment by 12-18 months.

Chances are the figure doesnt go back over 20 years. Most credit card providers dont hold data that long. Some as little as 6 years. They are only required to pay back what has proven to be paid. If your mother has old statements going back 20 years then she can use those as evidence of the amounts paid. However, if she doesnt have them and they dont have them then there is no evidence to support a higher payment.

So you reckon she should take what is offered and not to pursue it any further?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback