My journey to a debt free life

Options

Comments

• Willowtree222
    Options
    Ouch to Molten Brown or Elemis,maybe you need to have the conversation with the family now you are on your own,I buy for my mum and dad but I don't t go crazy because my mum would worry that's I'd spent too much,I normally get them something to eat some smellies and something to read :)

That was after the conversation x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    Sorry about the abuse. I don't understand how they can justify abuse to anyone. x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options

It's so difficult when Xmas comes around, I start off with a budget and vow to stick to it but then I wrap the presents and it always looks like such a small amount so I end up buying extra bits
    It pains me to say it but my DD1 can be quite materialistic and I was worried about setting the budget at £50 but DD2 thinks even that is too much,she would be happy with a couple of books,it's my fault she expects so much each year because I have obliged year after year

That's exactly what used to happen to us and it was the same with birthdays. Anyway no credit means we have to live within our means now.
    :j I've just noticed I've graduated to a Serious Money Saving Fan on my profile:j

:beer: :beer: :beer:
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    OBL - We've said before on here how we both used to overspend at Christmas, haven't we? And buying gifts for people was a big part of that for me. I used to go for what I thought would be the perfect gift, when what I needed to do was buy the 'perfect gift but within my budget'. I think it sounds to me as though your older daughter maybe had a long time of you splashing the cash at Christmas & may hasn't quite caught up with how things are now that you've been struck by that lightbulb on all matters financial! The simple truth is that the money you earn is YOUR money. Once that is gone & you are putting it on the plastic, you are spending somebody else's money so you clearly can't afford it. That applies to all of us. I buy nice gifts within my budget (I saved up this year) & I will NEVER go back to those awful February bank balances when my salary disappeared straight into the black hole aftermath of silly over-buying. I think your gift limits per person are perfectly reasonable & do you know what? If it had to be less, then so be it. We all have to somehow work together to put a brake on the mass consumerism & levels of material expectation that have overwhelmed what should be a midwinter festival of peace, light & sharing. I think many of us on here will be playing our own small part in this.
    I sound like a proper old hippy, don't I?
    Blessed be.
    F xx
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sage advice from foxgloves, as always.

Does DD1 spend lots on you for presents, or is it seen as a one way street?
    DD2 sounds lovely :A
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    It's quite horrific that this happens. You see similar campaigns on the railways and in Post Offices so perhaps it's a wider trend, but it's one of those areas where I feel the perpetrators should be severely dealt with.

I hope you go on enjoying the weekend! We had sun again here after a very foggy day yesterday, it makes such a difference.
    I think all public is facing roles are facing the same problem,I know my Dad is terribly rude to cashiers or waiters/ waitresses if he has a problem with anything,I won't go out to eat with him anymore because it's embarrassing he hates the thought of some one being rude to me though but can't see it when he is the one being rude to someone else

We have lovely sunny cold weather here today,it's my favourite kind of winter weather because you can still get out and do things if you wrap up
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Sorry to hear you suffered at the hands of the general public , it's completely not acceptable and happens far to often. You did right to walk away , I always think they should be asked to leave and not allowed back.

Well done on keeping your Xmas budget how you planned, I am also guilty of going overboard but this year have tried to keep to my Xmas fund. I think I will be over by £30 which isn't so bad.

Have a lovely walk by the river and enjoy the hot chocolate , it looks like another sunny day here so hopefully it is neat you as well.

I am off to the Christmas markets but won't be buying the expensive hot chocolate! .

If they are really abusive I will ask them not to speak to me in that way and I will come back to them when they have calmed down,we can call our security team if they really kick off but we really shouldn't have to

I am sooo determined to stick to my budget this year,I didn't mind going over by a small amount but not too much

Our Christmas market has opened and the Xmas light gets switched on tonight,I'm going to wait until next week to go though because it was crazy last year and I nearly got crushed in the crowd :eek:
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Nicnak wrote: »
    That was after the conversation x

Oh dear, that's not good thencan you club together with your sister and buy something
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    That's exactly what used to happen to us and it was the same with birthdays. Anyway no credit means we have to live within our means now.

:beer: :beer: :beer:
    Thanks for the cheers Hairy,I have ever been described as a money saving fan before :rotfl:
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks for the cheers Hairy,I have ever been described as a money saving fan before :rotfl:

Well that's what you are now :D. We've had lovely weather today too, sunny but cool.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure