PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What frugal find came your way today?

Options

Comments

• jexygirl
    Options
    decided to give growing our own a go, so scouted around the place for things to grow in, as although we have alot of land, its mountainous, and has no soil and a "raised bed" was too much money.
    Found 2 big tubs we used to use for laundry, a belfast sink, a second belfast mop sink, 2 big blue tubs that we used for coal and a "thing" thats black and made a small raised bed outside the old coal store which i cleared out and got 2 days worth of burning out of! And a few old concrete bricks which i moved for another small rasied bed.
    When I went to get compost it was £5 a bag, so we bought a few, but I then went around and got about 5 wheelbarrows of leaves that i used as a base then put compost on top.
    Loads of pots / tubs, 2 raised beds, and a "green house" (I am paying £70 for the polycarb to change it from a dodgey building to a green house when i have the money - see pics!) all for the cost of compost - till I get the poly carb! Pics of tubs I dont have but before and after of the coal store, soon to be greenhouse and beds!
    salmon002.jpg
    This was half way through the clear out! I would never have thought it would make a growing area!
    salmon003.jpg

I now have some compost and stuff in situ, and awaiting delivery of the poly carb, watch this space! But apart from the poly carb, the hut was here, the junk was here, and I am hoping it was a frugal find!
    salmon009.jpg

Will update once I have decent pics!
    Sorry some are linked and some arent, I suck!
    I love this thread!
    Jex
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I will pay jexygirl the compliment of saying that she invariably writes a lot of sense!
    and she finally worked out after 4 months, how to make that quote her sig! :rotfl:
  • wyebird
    wyebird Posts: 755 Forumite
    Options
    My parents decided they would like to by DH a tankard for Christmas so he could take it to festivals in the summer. Dad saw one in a CS, but mum said you can't have that it has someone else's name on it. Dad looked and it was Dh's name, first and last...spooky!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Finally managed to print off my two free tickets for the Ideal Home Exhibition in March,will take my friend who has helped my renovate my study as I know she will talk me out of spending too much cash, as she is even more frugal than I am if thats possible
  • Alison_Funnell
    Options
    jexygirl wrote: »
    salmon002.jpg

salmon003.jpg

salmon009.jpg

Jexys pics.
    Put the kettle on. ;)
  • annscullamus
    Options
    I found 2 biggish fallen tree branches and dragged them home to chop up for the stove, and half a pound of carrots still in the raised beds and absolutely fine!
  • ubamother
    ubamother Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    Options
    from freegle in the past year or so:
    one kingsize wooden sleigh bed
    one extending dining room table and chairs
    set of huge deep orange thick curtains (very posh make) that fit my ridiculously wide bedroom window
    terracotta rug

things given via freegle:
    one piano
    one violin
    lot of music books and sheet music (for piano and violin!)
    one canvas/wood bookcase
    loads of fresh bay leaves (from my bay tree pruning session)
    small slow cooker
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    So many things from local skips, it would take me pages and pages to list, including furniture, a perfectly working cordless drill, even a sewing machine but this was in my non-sewing days so I put it back in later and it went to some more deserving household within hours!

Lately a lot of fantastic fabric from curtains to make my morsbags and a nice wicker basket to keep our scarves and hats in the corridor.

Yesterday a very special thing: LilacLillie invited me to go with her to see a play with one of two tickets that came free her way (THANK YOU!). So I am going later on this afternoon!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Hardup_Hester
    Options
    Today I went to the opticians & they mended my glasses for free!!

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • Kayteehee
    Options
    I got a great vacuum cleaner from the bin outside my friend's nice flat. I really needed a new vac and couldn't believe it when I found one. I assumed i'd have to change the fuse or get it serviced or something, but plugged it in, it's absolutely fine!

Can't believe how people are so quick to waste stuff!
    Professional Photographer with a love of bargain hunting.. Been a moneysavingexpert since 2006 :-D

Roadkill Rebel -Started 6/2/16 - £0.05 Remember you're a womble #6 - £18.17 :j SPC Number 124 - Hoping to save £1500 :)
  • wilbur98
    Options
    I have just come back from my wed cleaning job and got 4 pts milk and a pack of 4 knickers(brand new of course)and i am well chuffed.Love to get owt for nowt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure