PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What frugal find came your way today?

Options

Comments

• kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Options
    I tend to get quite a few things of freecyle, hunt round charity shops and car boot sales. Most if the time my OH thinks i've gone mad.

So far some of the things i've found/received/made.
    Turned DS1's old bed into a bench (now in front room) and shelves(in his room)
    Old bedding and duvets into cushions for above bench.
    A broken chair - i'm planning on turning this into a stool. just need to saw the top bit off. (found it dumped by the bin)
    A computer chair - again found it by our bin, its a bit dodgy but it works all right.
    A sewing machine (freecycle)
    Brand new unopened kitchen cupboards, worktop and tiles - freegle (my landlady took one look at it fully built and was so impressed she said right i'll pay for a new kitchen:D).
    Three hand made rugs (freegle)
    2 violins + music books (freegle)
    All of the Harry Potter / Narnia books in the charity shop (my son loved me for this, made his christmas:D)
    Countless tools of car boot sale
    Acoustic guitar, book + case for £15 off a carboot sale, brand new it would have been about £150.
    A oldish tv off freegle.

My boys (aged 9 and 5 yrs old) love me for my bargain hunting and think i'm brilliant.
    Now my eldest has a list of things for me to make/ find, not so good :o.

Wow a hazel stick fantastic!:T
  • Hardup_Hester
    Options
    I've just helped a friend start clearing her Mum's flat, she died just before Christmas. I came home with a jacket, a cardigan, 6 books, 2 jars of Marmite, 6 part balls of wool, a packet of macaroni & a small holdall. My friend also bought me a sandwich for lunch as a thank you.
    Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • Winged_one
    Options
    I brought a wedge of Victoria sponge over to neighbours the other night (I had baked for a visitor, who had also brought cake herself and both were fresh cream) - just to share not for anything. But they also had a load of curry sauces in the fridge (from her job, for testing) and I ended up with 3 of those in return! Yum - cos we ADORE those sauces anyway!!
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Kezlou, that's an impressive list :money:
    My hubby is similar too

He has made a bed base and single head-board from mostly recycled wood - and a welsh dresser which has a lot of wood picked up from the beach. A table using skip off-cuts of oak! (This won him runner-up woodworker of the year award one year) and a bench using a plank of hardwood that was lying in a stream:eek:
    Our old sofa, is now bench seating for the other side of the table. I could go on :rotfl:

It is so beautiful so see these items around the home and garden. They all have a history and memories to treasure don't they?
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    a gorgeous monsoon dress for a friends wedding for 4.99 in Age Concern, 2 tops for my little one for £1 each and 2p on the street lol
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Options
    I think they great excellent memories especially the bench in our house, it was one of the first things we made as a family, from the frame to the cushions. My boys keep showing it and proudy say thats my old bed its brilliant isn't it.

Wow well done on your husband with with runner up contest, that's amazing :T:beer::T.

Today me and the boys just finished making the raised beds in the yard from a neighbours old wardrobe, looking forward to seeing the birds and bee's back again. It was wonderful last year.

Well i best get back to making the curtains for the kitchen door.
  • Trinny
    Trinny Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hi There

Most of our furnityre was left behind on purpose by the previous owner of our house, we were given quite a bit of furnature and got a bookcase from freecycle.

The best in OH point of view is all the demi Johns and brewing buckets he has got from charity shops, freecycle etc.

I would always rather reuse than get new - our house is a little shabby but really comfy and we are happy as we are

Trin
    "Not everything that COUNTS can be counted; and not everything that can be counted COUNTS"
    GC - May £39.47/£55. June £47.20/£50. July £38.44/£50
    NSD - May 16/17. June 16/17. July 14/17
    No new toiletries til stash used up challenge - start date 01/2010 - still going!
    £2 Savers Club member No 93 - getting ready for Christmas 2011:)
  • knithryn
    knithryn Posts: 233 Forumite
    Options
    Best CS find recently was a off-white/cream silk& linen suit - trousers, jacket and top, ideal for wearing with a black shirt and black shoes (think Chanel).
    And a pair of unworn trousers for work...(chino style, ideal for spring into summer)
    Oh yes and a top...
    Yeah, serious retail therapy for £6 total.
    Other Half laughs at my rather paltry efforts to 'spend money on buying something I like'.
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I picked up a lovely oak standard lamp from someone on freecycle the other day. I've been wanting one for the dining room for a couple of years.
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was looking for an icing set, bought one in Mr T's for 1.99 and it didnt work very well so mentioned my plight to my Mum and she dug out a full set of fancy nozzles and a real icing bag that my Aunt gave her 10 years ago, am ready to do my cupcakes now! Also DH spotted a pound an item box outside a random shop the other day and I found a rubber stamp of a baby crib perfect for baby shower invites for next week - he was quite smug cos I missed it. My daughter has done the best job though, as she is such a good friend to everyone she knows and they all had their babies before her she has kitted out my grandson- to- be completely apart from her pram for pennies. Lots of the baby clothes she has been given still have labels on - she is so pleased with her MSE baby.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills