MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you leave a small shop in the lurch?

Options

Comments

• LoveLifeAgain
    Options
    It's a no-brainer for me, would not even cross my mind to let them down.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety". - Benjamin Franklin
  • cookingcarrie
    Options
    Absolutly not! You have placed an order with this shop and they have looked after you, so no way would I now get the goods from Halfords
  • EvilMonkey
    Options
    I know it's just an example, but the bike shop business is a complex one. my LBS couldn't even order the pedals I wanted. In the uk, most componentry comes through a small number of distributors, not direct. If your LBS isn't set up with that distributor it will cost them a fortune to get hold of that part (minimum orders, delivery costs etc.).

In the end they told me to go to a well known online store as it would save them money if I did.
  • mrsf77
    mrsf77 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    I would definitely buy from the local shop but would mention I had seen them cheaper in Halfords, not as an angle to get the money off/back but as a heads up.
  • Ebenezer_Screwj
    Options
    The small independent trader every time. Stores such as Halfords do not understand the concept of customer service or product training.
  • suzithefloozy
    Options
    Deffo stick with the small shop! Quite often they are a tad more expensive but it's mainly beacuse they can't compete so easily with the big chain stores that buy stock in bulk etc. Even so I'd rather pay more and use the small shop - it's more personal :T
    Trust me - I'm a scientist!!! :idea:

Mortgage - too big to comprehend!

CC debt - none! :beer:
  • Sharp_Eyes
    Options
    For me it's nothing to do with the big vs small debate:

I've already ordered from the small shop and they've been nice enough to give me a free service so I'll stick by them because of that reason.If it had been a different scenario and they'd been rude to me or something, I'd be all too happy to cancel and go to Halfords but I like to reward good service by sticking with the people and places that treat me well.
    :dance: *inhales deeply* "Ahhhhh! I love the smell of a good deal in the morning! (or just about any time, really...)" :dance:
  • Shrewdmoneysaver
    Options
    I would stick with the small shop. There are far too many chains treating customers disgracefully. A relative actually works in a Halford Bike Hut. He is seriously into mountain biking and very knowledgeable , breaking parts of expensive customised bikes regularly. Would he buy anything from Halfords? He has to deal with the customers who made that mistake.
  • anntics
    anntics Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Stay with the small shop for all the reasons already mentioned.
    Cheers

Ann
  • reformedspender
    Options
    Stick with the independent. The bike service is easily worth the three quid saving from Halfords.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure