MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you leave a small shop in the lurch?

167891012»

Comments

• puddings_2
    puddings_2 Posts: 1,889 Forumite
    ive just read through most of this thread:
    unless Ive missed something i believe the score stands at 100% to the local guy and 0% to halfords.
    Hooray!
  • I'd stick with the small business.

However, if my bicycle pedals were completely broken and I needed them and the bike urgently then I would possibly get the Halford ones too!

Even though this would seem expensive I would have had a "free" bike service so the overall package would be good value for money.
  • Would use local shop. The quick service would probably cost more than £3 anyway, pluys would also show up any future problems you may have i.e. brake pads worn, tyres nearly bald etc.
    Bit like the difference between local family butcher and large high street supermarkets meat.
  • I would kick myself for not checking there first, but I would definitely go back to the little shop; £3.00 wouldn't get me bankrupt, and all in all the friendly service may well be worth it.
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Small shop every time, it's probably within cycling distance, and it will be able to order in little extra I need even though they don't stock them - Halfords and the bigger chains can't do that.
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • Bayblue
    Bayblue Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    I'd go back to the small local shop too and I'm not surprised that pretty much everyone feels the same way in this instance. However small independent shops are on the decline and if people really are prepared to pay extra for good service I wonder why that is. I suspect that it has got something to do with the amount potentially saved in the example- ie if the saving was around £30 how many would vote the same way, and what about £300?

I love towns an villages having many small shops but am I really prepared to put my money where my mouth is to 'save' some of them? In these uncertain financial times, I'm afraid that I'm a guilty as the next person in putting my purse first and searching out bargains in the supermarkets and discount stores :o .
  • I'd stick with the small store - not because of "supporting your local store" or any nambypamby krap like that, but because I'd made a verbal contract to buy the pedals.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure