Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    archived user
    My Sisters Bank Won't Let her release My Inheritance To Me-Please Help.
    • 3rd Oct 16, 4:28 PM
    My Sisters Bank Won't Let her release My Inheritance To Me-Please Help. 3rd Oct 16 at 4:28 PM
    The title says it all.
    I was meant to receive my money 2 weeks ago but now it has all gone horrible wrong and I have not got my money and now it seems there is no way I can get it.

Not because my sisters does not want to send it to me but because my sisters bank refused to let her do the payment.

Here is the story-

Just to recap-
    As some of you may know from my last threads here-
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5495130

My mother died last November 2015 and has left me and my 2 other sisters both her house and some money in her will.
    So my sisters and I each inheritance a third of the money from the house sale plus 25,00.

My 2 sisters are both executors of my mothers will and both the money from the house sale and the rest of my mothers money she left us was paid into the executors account.
    Which is a joint account in both my sisters names.
    So from what I understand my sisters are the ones who pay me the money since they are both executors but I am not. I am only a beneficiary.

So I do not have the right to sell the house or handle the distribution of funds, only my sister can do that.
    So my sisters are supposed to send my third share to me as is the terms of mum's will.

Well 2 weeks ago one of my sisters I will call Sister A phoned me to tell me my mothers house has been sold and that the money was ready to be paid out to me along with the other money 25k which I also inherit.

So I gave my sister my bank details so that she could pay the money direct into my bank account.
    Which I am happy to do because I would rather my inheritance was paid directly to me instead of my Solicitor, then when I get it I will pay my Solicitor.

But now it has all gone wrong and I have not got my money.
    Because when my sister went to her bank the next morning(2 weeks ago) to try to send me the money by a CHAPS payment, her bank told her they will not let her do the payment unless my other sister can come with her to the bank in person.

And the problem is that my other sister cannot go with my sister to the bank because she has had a mental breakdown and is being held in a psychiatric hospital under a Section of the mental Health Act and is too ill to do it.

Sister A who is single and was living in the house is the one who is trying to pay me my money.

My other Sister Sister B is the married sisters and is the one who is currently being held in a psychiatric hospital under Section.
    And I have had telephone conversations with Sister A and she says that the mental Health crisis team say that my other sister is in not fit sate to sign anything at the bank and lacks the mental compacity to do so.

The money from my mother will and sale of the house is being held in the executors account and it seems my sister is wiling to pay me my full share of my inheritance.

But her bank which is Barclays bank, won't let her do it without my other sister being with her in person at the bank because the executors account is a joint account in both my sisters names.

And even though my sister told her bank the situation her bank won't budge.
    The bank won't let my sister send any money to me unless my other sister can also come to the bank in person to sign or do the translation.
    And Barclays bank refuse to relent on this.

So now my situation is this, my inheritance is stuck in the executors account and there is NO WAY I can access it.

Not because my sister won't pay me but because my sister bank won't let my sister release the money to me without my other sister being present with my sister at the bank in person.
    Because the executors account is a joint account in both my sisters names.

My sister wants to pay me the money but my bank won't let her make the payment to me without the other sister being there with her at the bank.

But because my other sister is in hospital and is not well enough to go to the bank with my other sister or sign for anything.
    It seems there is no way I can get my inheritance unless My sisters bank relents which they won't.

And if my sister is in hospital for months and months which she could be.Or is so ill that she ever gets better,
    Then how the hell am I going to get my Inheritance?

Since my sisters bank told my sister they won't let her make any payments to me unless my other sisters can also came to the bank to sign?

But mum left me that money in her will and I have the will to prove it.
    So it's my money my sisters bank are holding that they won't release to me.
    Which is 118k, and the bank won't let my well sister send me the money because of some stupid RED Tape.

So what the hell do I do now since my Solicitor has not said much about this?
    And if my other sister never gets better then how do I get my money??

What legal action can I take to get my sisters bank to release my inheritance to me,since they won't even let my sister send the payment to me?
Page 19
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 2nd Nov 16, 8:31 AM
    • 33,313 Posts
    • 66,646 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    I do not think the remarks about the OP's level of Benefits are either helpful or appropriate. At the moment she is not well. It is not good to kick someone when they are already down.

I do agree that she needs to register with a GP asap.
    Member #10 of 2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • Person_one
    • By Person_one 2nd Nov 16, 9:08 AM
    • 26,964 Posts
    • 92,392 Thanks
    Person_one
    So wrong I agree, I can't wait for the benefit cap to come in
    Originally posted by welshmoneylover
    You know you won't be getting any more money when it does, right?

I don't think a discussion about benefit policy is particularly helpful on this thread.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 2nd Nov 16, 9:18 AM
    • 33,313 Posts
    • 66,646 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    You know you won't be getting any more money when it does, right?

I don't think a discussion about benefit policy is particularly helpful on this thread.
    Originally posted by Person_one
    I think they are more concerned about other people having more money
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • Person_one
    • By Person_one 2nd Nov 16, 9:34 AM
    • 26,964 Posts
    • 92,392 Thanks
    Person_one
    I think they are more concerned about other people having more money
    Originally posted by seven-day-weekend
    Yes, clearly. Their lives won't get any better but they are very happy that other people's lives will get worse.

You are right that its not a suitable topic for this thread though.
    • Anthear
    • By Anthear 2nd Nov 16, 5:01 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Anthear
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by welshmoneylover
    "So wrong I agree, I can't wait for the benefit cap to come in"

I wonder how many people 'welshmoneylover' personally knows with Autism/Asperger's?

Here is your challenger, Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms etc 'welshmoneylover' - why don't you try living within the Benefit cap for 6 months - then come back and tell us how you lived it up - went on exotic holidays, shopped in Waitrose, ate out at least twice a week etc.

Are you man/woman enough to agree????
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 2nd Nov 16, 5:11 PM
    • 33,313 Posts
    • 66,646 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by welshmoneylover
    "So wrong I agree, I can't wait for the benefit cap to come in"

I wonder how many people 'welshmoneylover' personally knows with Autism/Asperger's?

Here is your challenger, Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms etc 'welshmoneylover' - why don't you try living within the Benefit cap for 6 months - then come back and tell us how you lived it up - went on exotic holidays, shopped in Waitrose, ate out at least twice a week etc.

Are you man/woman enough to agree????
    Originally posted by Anthear
    My son has mild Aspergers and he has rung me up tonight, worried about his service charge bill, which he didn't understand and thought it said 'litigation' in one of the attachments, he thought they were taking him to court and couldn't understand why. As it turns out, he is actually in credit with his service charge and the word was 'obligation'.

Because he had read the word wrong in the first place, he couldn't concentrate on the rest . I also remember a time when he was worried about his council tax, because it had the wordsa 'demand' and 'gross liability' on it. He thought he had done something wrong (gross liability to him was like gross misconduct) and that he had to find 1000 straight away (demand); he couldn't then concentrate enough to see the payment schedule on the back. People with Aspergers can often get muddled about things, and then they can get quite obsessive about them.

If they happen to have a mental health probelm too, then you can see how someone might obsess about things and get them all out of proportion.

Have a bit of understanding for the OP.
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 02-11-2016 at 5:16 PM.
    • Anthear
    • By Anthear 2nd Nov 16, 5:21 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Anthear
    seven-day-weekend:

Absolutely - I do very much. I work with children, some of whom have Asperger's/Autism.

My point was aimed at 'welshmoneylover' who appears to be delighted that thousands of people are going to be considerably worse off due to the benefit cap, amongst those adults are children... but that's OK - it's clearly the parent's fault (sarcasm).

My challenge was for that person to experience the delights of living within that financial ceiling and with the issues associated with being autistic and taking most things very literally. Apologies if I hadn't made myself clear. I completely understand the issues faced by Annbarbs.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 2nd Nov 16, 5:23 PM
    • 33,313 Posts
    • 66,646 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend:

Absolutely - I do very much. I work with children, some of whom have Asperger's/Autism.

My point was aimed at 'welshmoneylover' who appears to be delighted that thousands of people are going to be considerably worse off due to the benefit cap, amongst those adults are children... but that's OK - it's clearly the parent's fault (sarcasm).

My challenge was for that person to experience the delights of living within that financial ceiling and with the issues associated with being autistic and taking most things very literally. Apologies if I hadn't made myself clear. I completely understand the issues faced by Annbarbs.
    Yesd I know, I was expanding on your post, not disagreeing with it, sorry it didn't come over like that. I too was aiming my post at Weslhmoneylover. Sorry for the misunderstanding. x
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 2nd Nov 16, 6:22 PM
    • 5,940 Posts
    • 27,834 Thanks
    thorsoak
    I'm horrified to read this! Yes, Annabarbs is in receipt of more money than my pension - and my personal pension is above the limit which would entitle me to pension credit - but I have my health- as I presume so do you, welshmoneylover! Would you prefer to suffer the insecurities/fears/worries suffered by Annabarbs? Really?

Do not be so judgemental!
    • -taff
    • By -taff 2nd Nov 16, 6:35 PM
    • 10,485 Posts
    • 14,567 Thanks
    -taff
    Because that will make annbarbs magically well? Or because youcan't bear the idea of someone receiving more in benefits? If she was fraudulently claiming benefits fair enough, but she isn't, as evidenced by her posts.
    Your post is totally unhelpful and only shows up what you yourself are like.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 2nd Nov 16, 8:44 PM
    • 5,396 Posts
    • 4,560 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    Because that will make annbarbs magically well? Or because youcan't bear the idea of someone receiving more in benefits? If she was fraudulently claiming benefits fair enough, but she isn't, as evidenced by her posts.
    Your post is totally unhelpful and only shows up what you yourself are like.
    Originally posted by -taff
    I have reported the post by Welshmoneylover to MSE
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 2nd Nov 16, 9:50 PM
    • 8,675 Posts
    • 28,901 Thanks
    fairy lights
    I have reported the post by Welshmoneylover to MSE
    Originally posted by Yorkshireman99
    Why? It's not the only post questioning ann barbs level of benefits, and isn't even aimed directly at her.
    I agree that discussing how much money she recieves is sending this thread way of track.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 3rd Nov 16, 2:03 AM
    • 5,396 Posts
    • 4,560 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    Why? It's not the only post questioning ann barbs level of benefits, and isn't even aimed directly at her.
    I agree that discussing how much money she recieves is sending this thread way of track.
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    Simply because attacking someone in this way, albeit indirectly, known to be in a delicate mental state is cruel, insensitive and way beyond what is reasonable. This forum is about helping people most whom are bereaved, not to make political points for the satisfaction of those posting. Whilst there have been other postings that were beyond what many would consider reasonable this one was purely malicious.
    Last edited by Yorkshireman99; 03-11-2016 at 9:44 AM.
    • Anthear
    • By Anthear 3rd Nov 16, 5:03 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Anthear
    A Big THANK YOU to Yorkshireman99. Sometimes I wonder how far society has really moved on from the days of the workhouses....

x
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 3rd Nov 16, 5:15 PM
    • 5,396 Posts
    • 4,560 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    A Big THANK YOU to Yorkshireman99. Sometimes I wonder how far society has really moved on from the days of the workhouses....

x
    Quite! If a few more people report the culprit then MSE will take action.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

290Posts Today

4,496Users online

Martin's Twitter