PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cheapskate wrote: »
    . Also have a few tins of chickpeas, that I will use for a cake recipe I found online; sounds bizarre, but works well!

A xo

Could you post your recipe or a link please
    Thank you
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gooseberry fool - great idea Fran!
    weaving through the chaos...
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 January 2017 at 10:32AM
    Options
    Hi all

Jumping in if ok?

I need to defrost my freezer so last night I did a stock take and it turns out that annoyingly it's not building blocks in there, it's miscellaneous stuff that I'd prefer not to "try" and use up - but I NEED to because it's so iced up and DESPERATE for defrosting.

Here's my list:
    pack of 5 wholemeal bagels
    1 odd seeded bagel
    1 odd white bagel
    Half a loaf of malted grain bread
    a few slices of wholemeal bread that I'm not keen on
    2 white pittas

1 portion roasted root veg
    1 portion of lentil soup
    1 portion of Hoppin John
    2 bean burgers
    Banana Almond Oatmeal Breakfast Cups (enough for one breakfast)

Partial bag of edamame beans
    Partial bag of petit pois (big bag - weighed at 570g last night)
    2 avocado halves (bought these so see if any good - I was right, they weren't)

1.5 bags smoothie mix
    partial bags of mango, strawberries and pineapple
    a smidge of Swedish Glace
    TONS of chocolate seedy energy bite things I made

4 frozen cocktails
    4 ice lollies
    Ice cubes and UFOs (unidentified frozen objects - frozen into the ice at the back of the top drawer)

Next couple of days meal plan therefore is slightly weird but could be worse:

Tue:
    Breakfast - oat and lentil savoury porridge
    Lunch - last portion of Hoppin' John with crackers if desired
    Dinner - 2 Bean Burgers topped with avocado (yes it's frozen, I bought it to try it out, I was right, it's no good) and served with fresh broccoli and petit pois (if I'm feeling super hungry I *may* have the burgers in pittas, but I don't think it'll be needed)

Wed:
    Breakfast - Banana Almond Oatmeal Breakfast Cups (great recipe to keep in freezer for emergency on the go breakfasts)
    Lunch - Lemony Lentil soup and a seeded bagel
    Dinner - Mum will be coming over so I'm going to buy some fresh bits and have something nice

Thu:
    Breakfast - Savoury Oat and Lentil Porridge
    Lunch - Roast root veg soup (cleverly using up last portion of roast root veg from freezer!)
    Dinner - tbc

I might bring the energy bar things into work - I'm never going to get through them and whilst they are PACKED with good stuff, they are also packed with calories and fat and (natural) sugar, which I don't need!

Trouble is, then I'm left with bread products, tons of frozen fruit, and some frozen veg. Plus cocktails and ice lollies lol. I've heard of "guacamame" which is guacamole made with edamame instead of avocado, so I'm thinking I could do that to go on bagels next week for lunches, with tomato and maybe crudites?

Guess I need to get making smoothies! And drink cocktails!!! :beer:
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I always have frozen fruit on porridge when I have it for breakfast. A way to use up some of your frozen fruit?

Or perhaps making pies or crumbles?

Denise
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    joedenise wrote: »
    I always have frozen fruit on porridge when I have it for breakfast. A way to use up some of your frozen fruit?

Or perhaps making pies or crumbles?

Denise

Thanks for the crumble idea joedenise - I have savoury porridge in the morning - REALLY not a sweet things in the morning kind of person!!

Crumble is a great idea though, thanks! I could use some oats for a topping, or I do have flour so could use that!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 January 2017 at 4:10PM
    Options
    I've set myself a personal goal - to try and get to the end of the month with no shopping for food. T'm thinking of the savings I'll make.

Day 5 (day 4 didn't go quite to plan but it was all out of fridge and freezer)
    Lunch:- parsnip and squash soup, rolls, satsumas for me, lemon drizzle cake for DH
    Tea:- Make the last of the lamb in the fridge into a sort of cottage pie, using more vegetables than meat. DH wont mind as long as there's gravy. That should use up all the bits of veg lurking about. Profiteroles afterwards - I must have at least 100 small ones frozen as I finally got the hang of choux pastry before Christmas. Possibly sugar free jelly for me .... diet..

Out of freezer for tomorrow, one turkey wing and one turkey thigh. I grow my own turkeys and have several jointed and frozen which lasts the year. The turkey wing will do the two of us for tea The thigh is for sandwiches on Friday. The smallest turkey I froze weighed in at over 20lb and the largest at 32lb
  • Welsh_Poppy
    Options
    Out of freezer
    1 slice birthday cake
    2 fragnipane mince pies
    1 fruit tart(small)
    blackbean and veg curry x 1 portions
    Spicy butternut squash soup x 1
    Cheese x 3 pieces(small)
    Ham x3 portions

In
    HM roast potatoes in frylight
    3 portions butter nut squash soup

At least more is coming out than going in thank goodness:-)
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone newbie poster here who desperately needs to get a grip on using up what I have so jumping into this thread. Still adjusting to being an "empty-nester" and also need to keep good stocks as have very limited mobilty at present so rely on on-line shopping but my cupboards, freezers (2) and fridge are groaning. I'm good at not wasting stuff but need to get better at seeing what I have in before buying in. Would like to get from 2 freezers to one (if it stays still long enough it tends to get popped in the freezer!) by the end of 2017. I like to batch cook when I'm able to but this results in freezer tetris with the results. In the last 24 hours in to the freezer have gone, 4 portions quiche (made to use up leftover Christmas cream and cheese), 2 over-ripe bananas for future banana bread, 8 crumpets, 4 portions of mash and a small ball of shortcrust pastry (enough for a small pie or pasty). Out has come a tub of turkey gravy and the pickings from the turkey carcass which has been used to make 8 portions of turkey broth (so some of these will need fitting in) and a piece of garlic bread. On-line shop this week apart from milk is mainly household/pet supplies. I do menu plan but health doesn't always allow that to be followed but do need to get better at this.
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    OH has taken a frozen pizza, veggie burgers and some random unidentified extruded potato products out of the freezer. Win!

I removed a pack of frozen fruit this morning and made a rather grim smoothie out of that, spinach, some form of random desiccated algae powder that is in the fridge, soy milk and cooked quinoa. It was as great as it sounds. We have had an all day internal meeting today, which was catered (typical institutional "yellow food") so I didn't have to make lunch.
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • GreenFairy
    Options
    Got rid of a load of stuff between today and yesterday -we are having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and I've prepped everything. Great way to use up a load of odds and sods! The fridge is looking a bit empty now. Bottom shelf just has 2 bottles of lemonade on it.

Out:
    2 cans of cherry coke
    Pack of mince
    Tin of tomatoes
    Bag of mozzarella
    Bunch of asparagus
    Last of the leftover chicken
    Carton of cream
    Bag of rocket
    Bag of Nero cabbage
    Punnet of mushrooms
    Bag of frozen whitefish

Also scoffed the last of my homemade cookies.

I've had a good tidy up of the freezer as well. Top drawer is now ice cream, ice and burger buns; middle drawer is bagged roast bird leftovers and homemade freezer dinners; bottom drawer is raw meat/fish, all standing up like soldiers. No more coming back from the supermarket realising I've bought my umpteenth pack of rashers :D
    Attempting to stay on track in the Grocery Challenge!

Occasionally blogging at CookingTheBooks!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback