PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• Franalamadingdong
    Options
    Tinned salmon used, last of the yellowing broccoli finished, last of the jar risotto rice used (I have a fresh pack still), used up most of a scabby lemon and some more fresh vegetables and got a portion of peas out. Oh and DS had some of his sweeties.

I love updating my store cupboard list stuck to the inside of the larder. Our snack stock list is pretty long! No need to buy anything for a long while!

I want to make scones, but we don't need scones. What a dilemma! I don't know why I have an urge to make them. Again, because we have so much in by way of snacks it's daft to make anything.

Tomorrow is a lazy dinner, which DS is excited by - eggs/omelette and chips! Hurrah! More out the freezer and cupboard. DS has a Dr appointment tomorrow (suspicious mole I want them to look at) so quick and easy is perfect.
  • Sunflower1227
    Options
    Tomorrows meals

B - 2 egg omelette

D - Tuna salad, banana, yogurt & a dollop of home made date salted caramel sauce (just whisked it up tonight)

T - Homemade quinoa & black bean burgers (will make them when I get in from exercise class tomorrow night) with sweet potato fries & veg

All from cupboard or freezer - but will put a couple of the burgers in the freezer for next week.
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. :)

Weight loss 3 stone :D
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Today replanned -

Lunch - DH Cheese sandwiches, Christmas cake, fruit. Me - Spicy chicken breast w leftover veg

Dinner - DH last of Novemberfrozen cottage pie, leftover veg. Me- Thai chicken, OOD Ainsley Harriott couscous.

My dinner will do lunch tomorrow as work as well.

So out of freezer - cottage pie, 2 chicken breasts.
    OOD/Needs eating - coucscous, bendy veg, Christmas cake.

Just used up the last of the pinhead Oats in porridge. All the American recipes call for them, I'm unimpressed as they need soaking overnight and I can't say the flavour is better. Back to value porridge oats for me. Much cheaper.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,657 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sausage casserole for dinner tonight although I was intending to add in 2 Toulouse sausages that have been in the freezer for yonks till I looked at the packet and realised they were dated 2012. I am fairly unconcerned about dates but this was a step too far even for me - the dogs got them instead.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Welsh_Poppy
    Options
    Today

2 chicken breasts
    veg chill x 1

Nothing has gone back in thank goodness unless I make soup and some portions need to be froze.
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 January 2017 at 12:49PM
    Options
    I don't know whether this is good or bad, but with the bad weather forcast I've just picked a bucket full of leeks and another bucket full of carrots plus the rest of the potatoes. Potatoes will go in the pantry, some carrots and leeks will go in the fridge but the rest of the leeks and carrots will have to be frozen for later use. And here I was trying not to put anything in the freezers!!!!!! However, my logic was, better to freeze them, than throw them away after the snow has done its damage
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    Out today will be 1 steak for DH, Cauliflower rice and black chick peas for a curry for me for 2 days and chicken goujons for DS.

Nothing in :)
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oh caronc are you sure you are not me and I have been an empty next for 20 years. Love having freezer & cupboards full "just in case". Am really working at weekly meal plans to cut stuff down, particularly as am going for another mobility op before spring so if I need to shop online I will have nowhere to put the new stuff. Am making chick + mush pasties today to use up stuff but 3 will go back into freezer. Made small mince meal yesterday and instead over putting extra in freezer am using it with a few extra frozen veg to make soup for lunch for 3 days. Oh dear. Have done meal plans for 3 weeks now so am trying.
  • JensFeet
    JensFeet Posts: 83 Forumite
    edited 11 January 2017 at 1:19PM
    Options
    Hi all

New poster here - although I am a really really long time lurker biting the bullet to take part in the freezer challenge. Love reading all your posts and gives me loads of ideas to replicate myself. Thanks.

I have a very 'complicated' relationship with food. Previously I have needed 2 years of therapy (honestly!) to correct my food hoarding and eating weirdness. I will spare you the details. But I had been great for at least 6 years until 2016 when I became critically ill and in a coma (in intensive care for weeks) from chronic pancreatitis causing severe malnutrition, liver failure and fluid on my lungs, heart and brain. It was a very close call but I am recovering just fine thankfully. However, I have realised that since coming out of hospital I have started with the food hoarding again... It was always linked to 'needing' to provide for my family and I assume that's sort of kicked in again. I lost my job the week before I went into hospital (newly qualified midwife) as I was signed off sick for too much of my probationary period and we are not entitled to any benefits as my husband earns 'too much'. Erm? Really not. Especially as we had moved house only a couple of months before into a huge, old Victorian house which tripled our mortgage and related outgoings. We are skint!!

Over Christmas I was stuck trying to understand why I couldn't fit anything much into the 2 freezers as they are rammed. The Christmas food cupboard was RIDICULOUS (it's been put away now for use over the year ahead). The fridge is still rammed e.g. 5 KG of brie cheese that was reduced to 99p in Aldi after Xmas but only I eat brie - and I don't eat very much of anything although I am trying to keep increasing. I also could not understand where all the budget had gone. So after putting it all off for as long as I could I thought by taking control and becoming accountable for what I am buying / storing / using then I can help us get back on track. I've always been a yellow sticker shopper, cook from scratch 90% of the time and encourage the kids to eat as healthily as possible. Although reading through what's in the freezers the healthy side of meals is questionable! Ready meals will be yellow sticker and handy for weekends to just bung in the oven.

We have an American style fridge freezer in the kitchen and a small 100L chest freezer in the cellar. Sorry this will be a ridiculous list.

FRIDGE FREEZER (shelf by shelf so not duplicated if same things seen) in portions e.g. x4 = 4 portions for my family (2 kids, 2 adults but one small meal and one large in one meal)

23 part meals (my leftovers as I don't eat huge amounts and often start well but then feel sick so leave a meal or just have no appetite - but I HATE waste so freeze for another day's lunch.)
    big tub hm Bramley apple sauce
    hm pork and roasted veg gravy
    ham stock x2
    roast rib of beef in hm beef gravy
    1 large pack sirloin steak
    x3 portion bubble and squeak
    rm shepherds pie
    hm mince and haggis with neep tatties in a cottage pie (x3 portions)
    large rm chicken and bacon traybake
    1/2 bag sweet potato wedges
    1/2 bag hash browns
    3 small beefburgers
    roasted quartered carving pumpkin from halloween (roasted in skin and great for adding to bulk up soup) - 2 large pumpkins
    roasted and halved butternut squash
    sliced roasted gammon (x4 portions)
    8 fish fingers
    chicken and veg family pie
    sliced peppers
    x20 pork sausages (Tesco)
    2 litre ice cream
    pack of tattie cakes
    x2 chicken kievs
    x16 portions sukuk (turkish sausage)
    1/2 bag mccains roasties
    x1 very thick belly pork slice
    1 mega pork rib
    pack of 8 irish sausages
    8 walls sausages (the sausage theme gets much much much worse yet)
    bubble and squeak x4 portions
    sliced roast pork leg (x4)
    sausagemeat stuffing x8
    cooking bacon for 4 big pans of soup
    egg fried rice roast meat mix (from leftover scraps of roasted meats and sausage and bacon etc)
    4 small onion bahji
    pork ribs x8 portions
    2 smoked basa fillets
    pack of hot and spicy chicken fillets
    x5 lots of 300g beef mince
    500g pork mince
    roast gammon chunks x8
    prepared garlic cubes
    2 large cheese and tomato pizza
    1 large pack of pepperoni
    2 rock buns
    8 chicken drumsticks
    chinese belly pork x3
    2 large pork loin steaks
    x3 hm pea and ham soup
    20 pigs in blankets
    sliced gammon x4 roasted
    hm roast potatoes
    7 large chicken breasts
    x12 salmon fillets
    x7 kipper fillets
    bag prawns
    rainbow trout fillet
    haddock loin x2
    smoked salmon mousse slices
    2 salmon fishcakes
    8 onion bahji
    4 veg samosas
    x8 roast rib of beef slices
    portion of dauphinoise potatoes
    8 spicy pork balls
    cubed gammon for a pie
    x4 packs chinese ribs
    x2 tubs of mixed fruit jam (used up fruit in fridge but had no jars I could sterilise so freezing 2 and using 1)
    1 large chicken breast
    bubble and squeak x2
    x12 sukuk (different flavour)
    x12 black pudding portions
    x6 individual chicken and veg pie
    small sausage rolls

CELLAR FREEZER
    x4 cream of brocolli soup
    boneless pork shoulder joint
    8 black pudding and haggis burgers
    large pack pork steaks
    1kg pork chippolata sausages
    500g lamb mince
    large tray belly pork slices
    500g premium pork sausage
    1.5kg pork and haggis sausages
    4 packs of 2 bacon chops
    500g rare breed pork sausage
    1kg cumberland sausage (jumbo and normal size)
    500g pork mince
    500g beef sausage
    2 packs of tattie cakes
    x4 packs of sausage meat
    2 packs of ready roll puff pastry
    6 HUGE cumberland ring sausages
    x20 portions sukuk (2 different flavours)
    x11 300g beef mince
    12 scotch pies
    2kg box of 'leftover' christmas truffles made by kids for school teacher gifts etc. We made WAAAAAY too many.
    x16 portions of Stornoway black pudding (the BEST)
    small brown loaf
    x3 500g haggis
    14 inch pizza from local pizza place when was 'free' on top of our order - split into 4 meals for the kids

So... Can you see why I can't fit anything into the freezers? And can you see I really do have some 'issues'? Although I have made deliberate effort this week with our meal plans. I pay for kids to have school dinners and if I eat it will be soup or from the freezer stash of part meals. Breakfast for kids and OH is toast or cereal or porridge. I have to have something protein related - normally just grab some ham or cheese from fridge. We always have milk, butter, ham and cheese in fridge. And garlic, chilli, salad and veg, fruit. I have a great store cupboard, herbs and spices and tinned tomatoes, pasta, rice etc. OH works away this week so not on the meal plan.

M: hm gammon stock (F), gammon slices (F), rubbery carrot, roast pumpkin and lentil soup (it's a HUGE pan and I only I like it so will be forced to freeze some); grilled sukuk, salad and rice
    T: hm soup for me; chicken kiev, salad and roast potato
    W: egg fried rice (leftover rice from Monday, soy sauce, eggs in cupboard, fridge veg and meat mix (F)) - son cooking
    T: chicken, kale, bacon soup with part baked baguette for kids
    F: chicken korma (daughter cooking); chicken madras for me and OH - chicken (F) peppers (F); onion bahji each (F)
    S: hm fakeaway donner kebab (lamb mince (F), salad, tortilla wrap; hm mint yogurt dressing)
    S: bacon chop (F), veg, roast potatoes, creamy pepper sauce

So already starting to use stuff up. Only had to buy fresh salad veg and milk so far this week. Planning on the Aldi salad veg next week and will also need fresh fruit and bread and cream (OH only drinks coffee made with a splash of single cream and we get through a 'fair bit'). I will NOT buy anything for the freezer but might well have to put some of the soup back in as soup tomorrow.

Phew.... Finally made it to the end of a mammoth post. If you got this far - well done!! I look forward to learning and sharing with you all.

Jen x
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome to MSE jensfeet :j

Wishing you good health for 2017 :A Your freezers make mine look empty :rotfl:

Take baby steps a day at a time and you'll get there with them.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts