PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• FloppyDisk
    Options
    Well this is odd, world's slowest vendors have now requested that we start doing the searches, despite having not found an onward purchase. Am I right to push back and not commit funding on our side until they are technically proceed-able?
    Mortgage Apr 18 £417,894 BTL Mar 18 £162,857
    Mortgage now -- £350,085 BTL now --- £162,668
  • CommitedToChange
    Options
    Why should you spend money when they are not able to proceed!

I wouldn't spend anything until thyey have an offer accepted on a property, after all once you've spent money you can't pull out without losing that - so they can delay futher knowing there is less chance of you withdrawing your offer.

Super cheeky :mad:
  • FloppyDisk
    Options
    My thoughts exactly, their estate agent said it was the first they had heard of anyone waiting for a chain to complete before starting..... hmmmmmmmm...
    Mortgage Apr 18 £417,894 BTL Mar 18 £162,857
    Mortgage now -- £350,085 BTL now --- £162,668
  • CommitedToChange
    Options
    Well they would say that - it's not their money you'll be spending.
  • spendinglikemad
    Options
    Off to our solicitors this afternoon to start signing everything - things have finally picked up!

Drove past the house we're buying yesterday, and the vendor seems to be moving out already (she's moving in with her partner so no chain) so we're very hopeful there'll be no last hiccups. Did look like she was possible digging up plants / stones to take with her judging by what we saw in the back of a car - easily replaced though.

Great news!! - just a BTW we were going to take a few small plants from our garden too!!
  • SassySaver88
    Options
    Waiting on phone call to confirm...given authority to exchange today :):)
  • Firsttimebuyers
    Options
    Great news!! - just a BTW we were going to take a few small plants from our garden too!!

It's not something I'd have thought about, not green fingered at all!

Great news SS!
  • spendinglikemad
    Options
    Anyone else getting really bored with waiting to exchange - seems like things take forever!!! We are top of the chain of 5 I think, with no onward purchase and therefore I should just switch off but really for us the sale frees us up to renovate our property and pay down some mortgage and also we won't have council tax to pay, insurance and utilities. Just feels like our plans are on hold until then!

Just hoping the solicitors get things moving this week - EA don't seem to be concerned and if there are 5 in the chain then there is a lot of sorting to do. I guess I don't see any urgency from them but someone must have given them the idea they would be completing soon as they tried to switch the gas/electric! I always respond as quickly as possible to any queries from our solicitors and haven't chased them up (although give the EA a call every 2 weeks if I haven't heard anything at all!)

Please tell me I am being impatient and should calm down and switch off - I guess we are all in the frustrating holding pattern....

SLM
  • treeny_bash
    Options
    Hi everyone, can I join in please?

We are FTB and really don't have a clue what we're doing! We saw the house end of Nov and it wasn't an instant yes, but it's grown on me (OH has been wanting it since we left it on the first day!) and we had our offer accepted on 3rd Jan.

Timeline is:

03/01 Offer accepted
    04/01 AIP agreed with Yorkshire - valid for 30 days
    08/01 Instructed solicitors to act on our behalf
    10/01 Provided EA with proof of deposit, AIP and ID
    12/01 Received pack from solicitors
    15/01 Paid fee for Searches

Feeling completely out of my depth on this - I'm well aware that we're doing things completely backwards with making offers without AIP and I don't know what else we're supposed to be doing. We're relying on the EA and solicitor to keep us right, and hoping that we're not missing anything.

Is there anything stopping us from converting our AIP into a mortgage now? Do we have to wait for our solicitors to do anything first?

I have a feeling I'll be here a lot over the next few weeks/months, so looking forward to getting to know you all!
  • Astrac
    Astrac Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 15 January 2018 at 4:04PM
    Options
    It's good to see that I am not the only one frustrated with the conveyancing process! This is my timeline:

Offer accepted 26/10/2017
    Solicitors instructed 26/10/2017
    Mortgage application submitted 01/11/2017
    Mortgage offer issued 15/11/2017
    Last contact with my solicitors 15/12/2017

In the last email I received from the solicitors they told me that they were waiting for some leasehold information and that afterwards they expected 2-3 weeks for exchange. To this day I didn't receive any further communication and they didn't reply to my emails (sent one on the 9/1/2018 and one today). I'm going to phone them later if they don't reply within 5pm.

As a first time buyer this is an incredibly anxiety-generating process; I would've expected at least to be kept a bit more in the loop and to have my emails answered as I asked for updates once every two weeks on average and I don't think that it's too much to ask so. I'll probably leave a one-star review for my solicitors on trustpilot when this is done :/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback