Get a grip !

Options

Comments

• Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,589 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yeah shame we missed the table top sale :rotfl:it was finished when we got there !

Lovely sunny day today. I walked puppy dog this morning then hung washing out. I've had my head in the oven this afternoon ;) and have removed the element (after switching the electric off !) I've ordered a new one online £12.90 including delivery so not too bad.

After that I've been in the garden chopping back the shrubs which have gone in the green bin for collection on Tuesday. I share it with my neighbour and we go half each on the cost which saves driving to the tip (recycling centre).

I just need to hoover the dog carpet now and the kitchen tiled floor, and bring washing in. DS is home so he will walk puppy dog this evening. Back to work tomorrow.
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lol Head in Oven:eek::eek::eek::eek: Glad it seems sortable. Sorry that you missed the table top sale I am hoping you slept in as you have worked v hard this break. Hopefully you will go to plenty more later in the summer to make up for it.

Well done on all the jobs. :beer::j Next week will be a nice week hopefully.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Have had bad back since removing the cooker element. :( Bending and reaching into the back of the oven over the oven door is not ideal ! Have come home after work and taken painkillers and slept for 2 hours. DS & gf have walked puppy dog in the forest where it is cooler. The weather is glorious. Shame I'm not up to doing much, would have got loads of washing dried today :rotfl:

Our shower hose has broken and is now leaking. I have found a replacement at screwfix for £10.99 and will collect it tomorrow. Hoping that is the last thing for a while ! After this there is only £10 left in annual bills but hoping shouldn't need to pay for anything else until car insurance due in December, so should save £100 a month from June to build up the fund again.
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Sorry your back is so bad. Just think of the money you saved sorting out the oven yourself. Weather is lovely here as well but I have been too busy at work to enjoy it!

Good news on getting a shower head. I bought mine from Asda a while ago and it has lasted and it was cheap. Here's to saving for bills!
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Thanks SW. Its just the shower hose that has split. The shower head is ok, but I took a look at their website after you mentioned them and I ordered a replacement hose for £5 saving £5.99 :T It should arrive for free click and collect by the weekend.

I dropped another bag of stuff at the tip after work today. DS put it in the car and the lovely council man lifted it out and into the skip.

The weather is lovely, I came home and took puppy dog for a run around on the common. She found a ball and then lost it again in the long grass :rotfl:useless as a retriever !!

I used up a chicken breast for lunch with some stir fry veg, garlic & ginger. DS is buying his own food now, it seems strange not feeding him after 23 years ;) He's gone out for dinner lol. I will use up the last chicken breast for dinner not sure what to have with it, maybe Cajun spices with the last of the oven chips & corn on the cob.

Living off savings diary
  • Skint_yet_Again
    edited 16 May 2019 at 6:49PM
    Options
    Last night I used the last of the chicken breast with courgette, leftover red pepper and butternut squash in a jar of Moroccan sauce from my store cupboard. There is another portion left which I put in the freezer. Tonight I am having the last pork chop with some roasted veg and new potatoes. I am determined not to go food shopping until Monday. I have a haddock bake left in freezer which was 30% off when I bought it ages ago. I have a microwave curry & rice meal & 1 nan bread in the freezer plus a pack of popadoms I bought last week, and I have a microwave spaghetti bolognaise. I found a £1.50 Tesco voucher when I was sorting some paperwork so I will use that to buy milk.

The insurers have finally paid out for puppy dogs treatment. The total was over £1200 and the excess was £99. They have withheld £189 which is for things you cannot claim for (food, admin fee for vet to sign insurance claim form ! ) and things over the maximum they pay (£100 hospitalisation fee a day but out of hours night vet charge more than that !) They have paid more that I thought they would. I have paid the £100 excess off my non-0% credit card. I have transferred the remaining £189 to my 0% credit card for a 3% fee which is just a few pounds and DS is giving me money to pay that off monthly. Am glad that is sorted.

The new cooker element arrived today so I will clean the oven over the weekend and put that back together. I already have a can of oven cleaner and a box of oven pride for the shelves in my cupboard.

Am glad its Friday tomorrow, work has been a real slog this week ! Had a lovely walk this afternoon with puppy dog. Shame the lovely weather is meant to change tomorrow. Rain is forecast ! Hope its wrong.

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Hurrah for insurers actually paying out. Only paying a third of the bill is great especially if DS is helping out and you can use the 0%cc.

Well done on eating healthily I haven't this week let's just say I slipped off the wagon and then ate it. You put me to shame! lol. :j

Good luck with the oven part - look after your back. Here's to a dry weekend. I am sure the weather people have it wrong.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Am glad its Friday :beer:
    I took food to work today saving money by not spending in the canteen.

Took puppy dog for a walk before the rain started.

Have paid £50 off my 0% card so once the balance transfer goes through I should have £898 left to pay with no interest :T as long as I pay it off by the end of the offer period 7/7/2020. I think I need to pay £70 a month from June for 13 months and I also need to get my emergency fund built up again and my bills account.

Once all my bills come off I have £48.13 left till payday on 31 May. I will need £10 for petrol and £10 into dog food fund leaving £28.13 for food for me for 2 weeks from Monday plus £1.50 Tesco voucher. It will be tight but I am sure I am up to the challenge ! In my store cupboard I have rice, pasta, egg noodles, jar of pasta bake sauce, jar of curry sauce, tin tuna, jar of Moroccan sauce. I have a couple of bread rolls and some sliced bread in the freezer for sandwiches, so I must be organised for food for work. I will need to buy milk and washing up liquid and we may need loo rolls. I will work out a shopping list for Monday and let you know how I get on !

Living off savings diary
  • Skint_yet_Again
    edited 18 May 2019 at 7:54AM
    Options
    Ok so this is my shopping list / menu from Monday

Week 1.
    Peanut butter. (Dog) Bread rolls. Tin toms, tin beans, tin kidney beans. Carrots. (Mostly Dog). Broccoli. Pack 4 Baking potatoes. Courgettes. Peppers. Small Mince. 5 Chicken breasts. Bananas. Ham. Cheese. Bleach. Washing up liquid. Toilet rolls. Kitchen roll. Pizza. Chips. Fish pie x 2. Milk. Rhubarb yoghurt.

Week 2
    Bananas, yoghurt, carrots (dog)
    milk (£1.50 tesco voucher)

Dinners.
    4 x chilli (tin toms/ peppers/ onion/ butternut squash/beans/mince) & rice/chips
    2 x fish pie & peas / broccoli
    1 x Chicken, peppers & blackbean sauce & rice
    3 x chicken & peppers/ butternut squash curry (2 chicken breasts) & rice
    1 x Chicken breast, Jacket potato, broccoli carrots gravy
    1 x Sweet chilli chicken & noodles, stir fry veg
    (2 meals) 1/2 Pizza & chips.

Lunches - sandwiches (cheese, ham, tuna) cheese on toast, beans on toast. Home made Soup (potato, carrot, onion, stock cube) jacket potato.

Breakfast - porridge. Banana.

Already in my Stores = porridge, sauces - curry/blackbean/sweet chilli, onions, rice, noodles, tuna, stock cubes, sliced bread (freezer), butternut squash, gravy granuals, chilli spices, frozen peas.

Not sure on the cost yet but all shopping will be from aldi (apart from week 2 milk tesco voucher) and should come within budget. (£28) will work that out later

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    This is v organised. I wish I was.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts