New Post Advanced Search

Get a grip !

edited 25 November 2018 at 8:52AM in How much have you saved?
2.4K replies 177.6K views

Replies

• savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    15.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done on having money left 'till payday. It's so good that you are having all these walks. How healthy. You have put me to shame exercise-wise.

What a palaver over transporting puppy from day to night vets! Crumbs. I am so glad she is back safe and sound. :beer:

Hurrah for the weekend. Have a good one.
    Trying to be frugal 18/31Jan; 15/29 Feb 26/31 March 23/30 April 18/31 May 20/300 Jun NSDs.
    Saving change in money box.
  • Skint_yet_AgainSkint_yet_Again Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks SW hope you have a good weekend too.

My car came back from it's service with £500+ of work listed to be done :( I spoke to my B-in-law who knows lots about cars and he says it's not necessary for a car that has only done 12000 miles. He will look at it for me. I did however have to buy a new tyre due to a defect. I went back to the supplier as they are only 8 months old and they are helping me submit a claim for a refund as it seems to be a manufacturing defect. New tyre £42.60 on offer.

On the way home I stopped at the chemist and picked up my repeat, thankfully free. Then I took the dog for a long walk to try and de-stress am so worried about money. It was very windy certainly blew the cobwebs away !! Storm Hannah I believe. It was dry and sunny for most of the day so I got dog towels washed and dried outside. Then I spent the afternoon in front of the TV doing the few bits of ironing hanging around, work trousers mainly. Back at work on Monday.

I cooked a stew in my slow cooker for dinner and have a portion left for today.
    0% credit card £1360 ~ paid in full
    0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
    Emergency fund £1000 / £1000
    15.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flippin heck! Thank goodness for your brother in law. I think some garages try it on. Fingers crossed the work will be v cheap.

Please try to enjoy today. Focus on all the good things you have done this holiday. Hug dear doggie and remember she thinks the world of you. Stay strong my friend.
    Trying to be frugal 18/31Jan; 15/29 Feb 26/31 March 23/30 April 18/31 May 20/300 Jun NSDs.
    4.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Back to work today. Petrol light has come on so I will need to get some on the way to work tomorrow. More home made soup for lunch & chicken and chips from the freezer for dinner with gravy granuals from store cupboard. Payday tomorrow. :j

Walked the dog this afternoon in the lovely sunshine not too hot. Am shattered now so early night tonight I think.
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
  • pinknsparklypinknsparkly Forumite
    499 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Owchy on the vet bill and the car bill front :eek: These things really do seem to come along in groups don't they?? I'm so glad the pupper is all ok now though, even if she enjoyed her vet holiday more than you've enjoyed paying for it :rotfl:

I'm also loving the mental image of her prancing around in a kiddie's paddling pool. Despite the fact that he's a CAT and so should hate water, I'm fairly sure my fluff ball would also love his own paddling pool. We had to confiscate his water fountain in the end as it was his favourite play thing and the carpet couldn't handle it (though we didn't realise this until after I'd complained to the company about it leaking and being sent a replacement one :o)
    MFW2020 challenge #99: £4,132.97 / £3,600
    MFiT-T5 (Jan 2019 - Jan 2022) challenge #99: £16,300.47 / £30,000
    Initial MF date (18th Dec 2018): Jan 2054 Current MF date: May 2051
    Last updated: 31/08/2020
    4.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Payday :j

Petrol £20/40

Food £74.27 including toiletries, loo rolls, cleaning stuff

It's hard to work out a budget this month. DS gf supposed to be moving in. DS has paid for food to 15th when he gets paid. Gf due to move in 24th. Need to discuss payment for first month. We have agreed an amount after that for bills. Him &gf will sort their own food.

Not much done today. Worried about money and it's triggering IBS :(

Meeting a friend tomorrow for afternoon tea with vouchers which were Xmas pressie from DS & gf.
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
    15.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skinty, I am so sorry money is causing stress. I know exactly what that feeling is like. Remember you are on a 0 percent credit card and hopefully you can pay off a bit at a time every month.

I hope girlfriend and son can add a bit extra to bill payment so you can use that towards the cc bill. It will still be much cheaper for them than paying full rent for them anywhere else. Can they contribute an extra £50 a month on top of bills?

I hope work is ok and your tummy settles.
    4.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately the credit card was only 0% for 90 days balance transfers. However I have phoned the 2 vets and the emergency vet will be emailing the insurance company our claim tonight and have marked it as life threatening so hopefully they should pay out most of the claim apart from the £99 excess, the food £2 and the admin fee for filing the claim (!) £15.

The day vets don't have an arrangement to email so they have posted that claim to the insurer. I have until the end of may to pay it off the credit card before interest is charged. May have to apply for a new 0% card and transfer the amount if we cant pay it in full.

I went for afternoon tea today which was lovely. I used the gift vouchers which were an xmas pressie from DS & gf, so me and a friend went free :T Sandwiches and cakes and trifle and scones with jam and cream and unlimited tea or coffee, in the grounds of a local country house estate. We had a wander round the grounds and the garden centre. I brought 2 cakes home as I couldn't eat them all and DS has taken them to work as he is on night shift. I walked the dog in an effort to feel less stuffed and walk off some of the calories :rotfl:
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
  • pinknsparklypinknsparkly Forumite
    499 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I'm so sorry Skinty, but I'd echo SWs suggestion about speaking to DS and his gf re rent and bills. Are they able to contribute a little bit more, either as a one off or on a monthly basis?

Afternoon tea sounds LOVELY. It's one of my favourite things to do, but discovering that I can't eat egg (so cakes and any mayo-based sandwich filling are no-gos) has rather taken the shine off it for me!!!
    MFW2020 challenge #99: £4,132.97 / £3,600
    MFiT-T5 (Jan 2019 - Jan 2022) challenge #99: £16,300.47 / £30,000
    Initial MF date (18th Dec 2018): Jan 2054 Current MF date: May 2051
    Last updated: 31/08/2020
  • edited 4 May 2019 at 6:11AM
    Skint_yet_AgainSkint_yet_Again Forumite
    4.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 May 2019 at 6:11AM
    Yay for a bank holiday weekend :beer: :j :T

I had my tyre replaced this week £42.60 from the bills account. The warranty form has been sent and will take approximately 10 weeks for manufacturer to make a decision ! I won't hold my breath but it round be nice if I do get some money back.

I popped to morresons on the way home from work and picked up a few things for the weekend and DS work lunches for next week. Then I took the dog out for an hour to blow the work blues away :D it was a lovely afternoon, sunny but not too hot. I hung towels out when I got back and they dried and were brought in before the few spots of rain around 6.30pm. I hoovered the dog carpet and kitchen tiled floor also scrubbed down the patio and cleaned out the paddling pool. I've propped it upside down to dry and will see what the weather is like before filling it again. Probably the usual bank holiday rain ;)

I've fed puppy dog this morning and she is snoozing. I will walk her a bit later. I have mopped the kitchen floor and left it to dry and am back in bed. I may have a bit more sleep :p DS gf has just come in from nights and gone to bed. They are taking puppy dog for a long walk later this afternoon. I will try for a NSD today.

Week 17 (!) declutter - kitchen cupboard cleared. Old blender blew up ages ago so binned the attachments. Plus a couple of old kitchen items never used - plastic spatula holder, microwave chip pan. Planning to have a good clear out over this weekend !
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE