New Post Advanced Search

Get a grip !

edited 25 November 2018 at 8:52AM in How much have you saved?
2.2K replies 175.3K views

Replies

• savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    15K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope son and girlfriend are going somewhere nice. Enjoy the peace! Weather is lovely here.

I am so glad I learned about taking food to work from you Skinty it has helped me to save loads of money. Have a good day tomorrow too. :j
    Trying to be frugal 18/31Jan; 15/29 Feb 26/31 March 23/30 April 18/31 May 20/300 Jun NSDs.
    Saving change in money box.
  • thrifty-hayleythrifty-hayley Forumite
    120 posts
    Definitely enjoy the quiet while you can lol. Puppy dog sounds like a darling :)

I know normal milk freezes really well but don't know about coconut milk, let us know how you get on!
    #84 Make £2020 in 2020 challenge
    Grocery Challenge January £0/£80
    15K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hurrah for the weekend. Hope you are ok. It is raining like crazy here! lol.
    Trying to be frugal 18/31Jan; 15/29 Feb 26/31 March 23/30 April 18/31 May 20/300 Jun NSDs.
  • edited 8 June 2019 at 7:07AM
    Skint_yet_AgainSkint_yet_Again Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 June 2019 at 7:07AM
    It was pouring with rain most of yesterday. I have been poorly with a sinus infection. :( Doc gave me antibiotics and a spray and strong painkillers and I have been taking it easy. Glad my prescriptions are free !

DS returned from his lads holiday and now his gf has moved in. There is stuff everywhere, but it will get sorted. They have taken puppy dog away for the weekend so I am resting lol. Still awake early, but didn't have to get up. I am just making a cup of tea and may then return to my bed. :D

I have taken the decision to cancel my car service/mot plan after the last over inflated list of jobs that supposedly needed doing. I will get my brother in law to look my car over at his garage when I go in the summer and then use a local-to-me garage in future. I should have a fair sum to come back, so once that is refunded I will put it in a car fund account. I have cancelled the direct debit £28.04 at their request and will also put that money aside monthly into a car fund. The warranty ran out last year so no need for a main dealer service now.

I ordered some tick treatment for puppy dog online but then found out that we can get free treatment on the vet plan that DS already pays for. I managed to cancel the online order and get a full refund :T There seems to be lots more ticks this year, she didn't get any last year, and they are horrible :eek: and very hard to remove. Treatment from the vet now in place, so hopefully she wont get any more.

I ordered a birthday card for DS online last week and it hasn't arrived :( It cost £5.98 which was a lot for a card, but it was a special designed one of his favourite TV show with a personalised message. The seller has given me a full refund after I pointed out that the site says same day dispatch and they didn't send it until 5.30pm next day which is too late. Maybe it will arrive today, DS is away till Monday so unfortunately I had no card to give him to open on the day, but he was ok about it. I gave him money from the birthday / xmas / holiday fund as a present.

Food shopping for week 2 has come to just over £27 including dishwasher tablets & bleach. Target is £25 a week / £100 a month. Menu for the week ahead:

Breakfast
    Porridge (still 8 sachets left in store cupboard) with banana & honey
    Bacon roll
    Beans on toast
    bacon egg & beans
    scrambled egg

Lunch
    Ham / cheese roll & crisps
    or any of the above cooked breakfasts (apart from porridge!)

Dinner
    chicken red thai curry -carried over from week 1
    pizza
    3 x balti chicken curry & rice
    chicken fried rice
    sweet chilli chicken & noodles/stir fry veg
    2 x pork chops
    gammon, chips & pineapple - carried over from week 1

That's 10 meals for dinners but some should carry over to week 3 and so hopefully grocery shop will be under £25 for week 3.

The sun is out but it is blowing a gale here today. I may get some washing done later. I need to do some more decluttering and hoover the puppy carpet but there is no rush and I will be taking it slowly over the weekend and resting as much as possible.
    0% credit card £1360 ~ paid in full
    0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
    Emergency fund £191 / £1000
  • edited 8 June 2019 at 2:08PM
    savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    15K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 June 2019 at 2:08PM
    So sorry about your sinuses. I hope you are getting better.

Glad DS' girlfriend has moved in properly and that you are having a bit of a break from them today as it is a big change. Yum to your lovely food. I am going to try not to buy anything at work next week but it is the most stressful week of the year I think for us.

It's a shame about the card next time just get a cheap one from local shop - I am sure he doesn't mind.

Take it easy. I am washing clothes it keeps raining so I hope they do dry.
  • Skint_yet_AgainSkint_yet_Again Forumite
    4.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The card arrived yesterday, I will give it to DS when he gets home. The seller gave me a full refund and I offered to return the card but they said to give it to him anyway.

Yesterday I slept on and off for most of the day. I washed the furry throws from the living room and apart from a few spots of rain it stayed dry all afternoon, so they dried outside.

I just pottered around when I felt ok and did a few little jobs. I wiped down the bedroom window sill in DS room and treated the black spots that have appeared on the white sealant with some bleach on an old toothbrush. That has come up clean and white again.

I took my hoover apart and washed the plastic central container and the filters. They dried on the patio table in the afternoon sun. The filters are supposed to be washed every 3 months and its the first time I've done them in around a year :o

I couldn't stand it laying on the sofa in the kitchen any longer looking at my dirty patio doors, so I opened them outwards, wiped them inside and out with a soapy sponge and rinsed them off with the garden hose. No more puppy dog nose smears on the glass :D That one was a bit energetic and I had to lie down afterwards :p Needless to say I didn't polish them afterwards :rotfl:

Decluttering week 23 - w/e sun 9 June

1 kitchen cupboard sorted - wooden pestle and mortar never liked it / never used it, but it was a gift - in charity bag. spaghetti "cooker" large plastic container with lid you fill up with boiling water & put lid on - in charity bag. Old portable CD player, never used now/radio broken - put in a carrier bag to go out with recycling bin on Friday - they take old electricals placed on top of the bin if they fit in a carrier bag. 4 old plates & 2 old bowls had kept as the only remaining/non-chipped part of an old set "in-case" we needed any extras after I bought a new set, never used - not sure if charities takes plates/bowls ? may take to tip.

Its sunny here so far today. I am going to put a load of washing on and hope it stays dry. Am aiming for another NSD today. Not sure if I will go back to work tomorrow.
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
  • thrifty-hayleythrifty-hayley Forumite
    120 posts
    That's great that you get to keep the card. Hope you're feeling better after taking it easy yesterday (although it sounds like you were still pretty busy lol!)
    #84 Make £2020 in 2020 challenge
    Grocery Challenge January £0/£80
    15K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG you are ill and you did all that!!!!!! I would collapse if I did all that even if I was healthy!!!! lol.

Hope you are resting. Weather is much nicer today. Nearly finished rubbish marking.
  • Skint_yet_AgainSkint_yet_Again Forumite
    4.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    lol all I did was wipe glass doors 5min, wipe window ledge 5min, put throw in machine & hang out 5min, wash hoover filters 5min. The rest of the day I laid on sofa or slept

Decluttering has been done over the week.

Today I have hung out one load of washing, laid on sofa and have started to unload the dishwasher ;)
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
    15K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good I was panicking you had wiped yourself out with overwork! I hope you are feeling better.