Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Options
    shapala wrote: »
    Oh yes, I always buy travel insurance since I'm diabetic type 1 so best to be safe. Never actually made a claim for anything before so this is new to me. I'll contact my insurer and see if I get anywhere. Thanks for the reply :)

That’s good news that you have travel insurance, it will be a ‘missed departure’ claim. You would normally have to submit a claim form to them to assess your claim. You should get something back the amount depends on the cover you selected.

Good luck

NoviceAngel
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having been caught out by bad weather dealy getting to the airport several years ago and having cover on my travel insurance to recompense I have noticed that an increasing amount over the years DON'T cover this unless you go for a more comprehensive and expensive policy.
    Just renewed my daughter's annual policy and none of the lowest cost policies offered this cover so ended up with a premium approx 50% more than the lowest offered on several comparison websites.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    Having been caught out by bad weather dealy getting to the airport several years ago and having cover on my travel insurance to recompense I have noticed that an increasing amount over the years DON'T cover this unless you go for a more comprehensive and expensive policy.
    Just renewed my daughter's annual policy and none of the lowest cost policies offered this cover so ended up with a premium approx 50% more than the lowest offered on several comparison websites.

Your post made me check my own policy and it states:-

‘on your outbound journey, you are unable to reach your international departure point and check–in on time for your pre-booked departure either because your public transport is delayed, or the vehicle in which you are travelling becomes undriveable due to mechanical failure or being involved in an accident, causing you to miss your departure.‘

That was a very cheap policy from get going travel insurance. The cover is a fixed £250 for a missed departure. Not sure it would cover weather though, although if you were travelling to the airport via Train/Buss and it was delayed, I think it would be covered. All depends on the exact wording of the policy purchased.
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • JPears
    Options
    I saw this policy when renewing my daughter's.
    My incident was in a hire car stuck on snow bound motorway for 6 hours on the RETURN journey from a ski trip.
    Involved an 8 hour drive from Lyon to Paris (extra £75 car hire) and £500 each, one way flight from Paris to Leeds via Heathrow the next day on BA.
    Your policy would NOT have covered us. The one we had did, but now the same policy doesn't unless you go for a higher spec. Not much more for better cover and well worth it in my experience.
    Fortunately my "free" Nationwide account policy seems to have pretty good cover.

• JPears
    Options
    ATC in south east England changes to new sytem tomorrow.....
    Lets hope it all goes smoothly after the hitch in the Europe wide system today....

• Linzmarsh
    Linzmarsh Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, does anyone know if I can claim for a 24 delay in South Africa? We arrived in to Joburg 1 hour late and instead of catching our internal flight which we were in time for, Virgin had already rebooked us on to another flight which was 24 hours later! We were put in a hotel so no costs incurred there but we did lose a day of our holiday plus car rental costs etc.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks, Lindsay
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    what was the reason for the delayed arrival in Joburg?...how long was there originally between the two flights?
  • Linzmarsh
    Options
    A passenger was taken ill as we were due to take off from London, we were supposed to land at 07.50, connecting flight at 10.10 - we landed at about 08.45
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Linzmarsh wrote: »
    A passenger was taken ill as we were due to take off from London, we were supposed to land at 07.50, connecting flight at 10.10 - we landed at about 08.45

The minimum connection time at Joburg from INT - DOM is 1hr 30. Your delayed arrival meant your connection no longer met the MCT so you were rebooked
    Unfortunately that was due to the ill passenger.
    What actually happened at Joburg on the day? what time did you get through immigration and customs? what time was it when you were told "too late"?
  • Linzmarsh
    Options
    We were met by a virgin person who told us we had to go with him as we were too late for our flight - we already had our luggage and were about to head to our domestic flight - we already had our boarding cards - by the time he took us through the airport - about 20 mins he then told us that our flight wouldn't leave until 10.10 AM the next day. He said we must stay in the hotel there and gave us a letter covering the cost plus meals. I immediately insisted on going to the Virgin office as we did not want to spend 24 hours in the airport - after waiting another 45 mins plus I was told there was nothing they could do. There was another flight later on that day but it was full. We were still in time to take our original flight at that point. Extremely bad customer service all round.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback