PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cleaning grout

Options

Comments

• jollyanna
    jollyanna Posts: 356 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure I saw "Kim and Aggie" using toothpaste to clean grout not so long ago. I haven't tried it myself 'cos I tend to just use soapy water and rub the grout with cotton ear-buds.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use trainer whitner, after trying just about everything else on the market.

Someone on here said about trainer whitner and it works fine.

Postion the pad over the grouting and draw a line down. Leave for a minute then wipe the whitner off the tiles. I don't surpose it cleans the grouting, rather it dyes it white.

Please do a test piece first though, I'd hate to ruin your tiles.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    has anyone used a steam cleaner I was considering buying one for this job.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • manicstreetpreacher
    Options
    I daren't use a steam cleaner in case it cracks my tiles. After spending pounds on grout pens, grout rubbers and just about everything else I tried Dettol Mould and Mildew remover (green plastic spray bottle, think it used to be called Dettox). Spray on the dirty grout, leave for half an hour or so then bingo! Worked for me.
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    Thick bleach and a paintbrush. Paint the bleach on and leave it all day. Works for me! :j
  • monkey22_2
    monkey22_2 Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    I use biological washing powder mixed into a paste and scrubbed in with a toothbrush.
    Worry is like a rocking chair - it keeps you busy but it gets you nowhere.

£2014 in 2014. £0/£2014:)
  • Sugarplumfairy_2
    Options
    moanymoany wrote: »
    Thick bleach and a paintbrush. Paint the bleach on and leave it all day. Works for me! :j

me too, although I had a Clorox pen that I brought back from the states (I know stupid souveneir from holiday). Was the size of a marker and filled with thick bleach, fine nib .. so you 'draw' on the grout and then rinse off 20 mins later... same idea as bleach and paint brush.
    Good manners cost nothing -
    Bad manners cost friends !
    Murphys No More Pies member #213
  • Taadaa
    Taadaa Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    Options
    I used bleach and a toothbrush, and it worked a treat, thanks guys :j

My hands smell nice and clean too :rotfl:
    I have had many Light Bulb Moments. The trouble is someone keeps turning the bulb off :o

1% over payments on cc 3.5/100 (March 2014)
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have used bleach mixed with bicarb - it helps keep the bleach in place longer rather than it running away.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • mocolo
    mocolo Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with angela - bleach mixed with bicarb to form a thick paste. I usually leave on all day or overnight. Spray off with water- works a minor miracle. Be careful not to get any on acrylic bath or PVC windows- it turns them a shade of brown.

mocolo
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport