PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cleaning grout

Options

Comments

• Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I apply Domestos with an old toothbrush, go away for 30 mins and then come back and rinse it off with the shower.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • Delphinium
    Options
    Lots of excellent advice here about freshening up old grout, but can anyone tell me if there's a way of sealing the new tiles I've just had installed so as to minimise future maintenance? Unfortunately I've put them behind the cooking hob and the sink, so splashes ARE likely to occur quite often. (If I'd know then what I know after reading this forum thread I'd have gone for some other option!)
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    SEaling them??? tiles are glazed which acts as a seal. i have tiles behind my cooker, i just recently got a steam cleaner and they do a fantastic job!
    i would recommend a wipe down every time you use the cooker, saves all the elbow grease in the long run!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • MimiJane
    MimiJane Posts: 7,963 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I presume Delphinium means covering the grout to protect it from getting dirty.

I got a great tip from this site some time ago when it was suggested getting a white shoe scuff polish (the type with the sponge on top). I've used this on all my kitchen tile grouting to "protect" it and it works a treat. It'll obviously still get the odd "splash" occasionally, but just wipes clean. I'd apply a bleach solution first to get rid of the worst if they're really dirty.

Just apply to the grouting and wipe the tiles clean with a dry cloth. icon10.gif

x
    Wins since 2009 = £17,600

MANY THANKS TO ALL OPS
  • stilernin
    stilernin Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    Delphinium wrote: »
    Lots of excellent advice here about freshening up old grout, but can anyone tell me if there's a way of sealing the new tiles I've just had installed so as to minimise future maintenance? Unfortunately I've put them behind the cooking hob and the sink, so splashes ARE likely to occur quite often. (If I'd know then what I know after reading this forum thread I'd have gone for some other option!)

Not sure where I read this, but,apparently polishing new tiles with car wax makes water run off them quickly. It would have to be reapplied once in a while I expect but the theory sounds good.
  • JoeyEmma
    JoeyEmma Posts: 913 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have a problem with damp in our bathroom. It never seems to dry out properly, despite the window always being open. The grouting on the tiles on the floor is starting to come out. Yesterday I saw something in the corner by the loo and it turned out to be some fungus mushroomy thing about over an inch high and wide. I binned the thing and now its back the next day!

What can I do to control the damp? I know we really need to rip it out and start again, but thats not an option.

I don't want to think that we have fungus spores and the whole room will be filled with mushrooms!
  • KE7285
    KE7285 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Aaw you poor thing! We're having damp issues at the moment as well - but in our bedroom. Its not nice - i know its not the end of the world but it really upsets me when the mold starts to grow after me spending hours cleaning it off!!:mad:

I'm no expert but I think your tiles may need to be treated with some sort of fungicide to clear the mold spores then keep the window open all day if you have to! Also, make sure that you dry everything off after a shower or bath. Sorry i cant be any more help.

Is it just on your floor tiles or is it everywhere?
  • JoeyEmma
    JoeyEmma Posts: 913 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So far its just one mushroom in the corner between the wall and the floor.

The window is also open all day.

I am loathed to have the heating on yet, but I think that we might have to give in and put the heating on in their for an hour in the morning after showers to help dry it out.

Has anybody tried the crystal filled dehumidifiers from Lakeland? OH thinks that the crystals will be rock solid after 2 days and it'll be a waste of money.
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have an extractor fan in there to use when showering?

Or, you if you don't want the heating on, then what about a de-humidifyer, it's scary how much moisture one of those will pull out of a room when the door and windows are closed.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Do you have a leaking overflow pipe on the outside of your bathroom which could possibly be causing your external brickwork to become soaked? Or a leaking guttering above your bathroom which could possibly be doing the same thing?
    We had a similar problem in our first home. Never really solved it and during winter always had black mould patches appear on the bathroom wall. In the short term I suspect that putting some heating on in there will be the only way of keeping the problem under control. If you have baths, put cold water in first, before the hot, to try and keep steam and condensation to a minimum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure