PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cleaning grout

Options

Comments

• Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    i just use bleach on the grout in my bathroom.

I fill a small pot with neat thick bleach and use a toothbrush and a grout brush (from Lakeland) to work it into the grout. I leave it to soak for 5 mins and then rinse it off with the shower head.

It may look darker when wet but normally dries whiter.

Let us know if it works.
    :hello:
  • missiemog
    missiemog Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    not sure if this is the right place ...

have some particularly grotty grout that needs cleaning and would appreciate some suggestions on how to get it clean but not using grout cleaner/whitener from the shops.

thanks in advance.
    RATFINK DAISIES!!!!
  • floyd
    floyd Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I cleaned the grout in my kitchen today with a small toothbrush with a dab of bleach on the end then it needs a fair bit of elbow grease but it should come up clean
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi missiemog,

This earlier thread has lots of ideas that should help:

cleaning grout

I'll add your thread to it later, once you've had some more replies to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • Brooktop
    Brooktop Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    Where is the grout. If it's in the kitchen, then the bicarb of soda/vinegar paste is a great tip - if a bit fiddly.

If it's in the shower and it's gone pink...that's actually limescale that has trapped shower gel, shampoo, oil and grease from the skin etc.

Rather than simply bleaching it, you need to get rid of the limescale with an acid. White vinegar is readily available, but if you can get this stuff, it's great! Simply spray on (it foams up), leave for a good 10 mins. You can usually just rinse it off, but if it's particularly stubborn, use a cloth or old toothbrush. It also smells lovely as it's got lime juice in it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dri-Pak-Clean-Natural-Limescale-Remover-6-bottles-/260651984993
  • bigbigmamamoo
    Options
    if it is moldy, blast it with really hot water after you have cleaned it, it helps keep the mold at bay
  • MamaSaver
    MamaSaver Posts: 45 Forumite
    edited 24 August 2010 at 11:48PM
    Options
    I love Cillit Bang Grime and Lime - the pink one, not the green degreaser one. I use it in the kitchen, sinks, bathrooms and it makes everything sparkle
  • nzseries1
    nzseries1 Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    Options
    best stuff I've ever used is HG mould spray (from Lakeland, and I think you can get HG stuff in Homebase). It's BRILLIANT - we moved into a house with a *very* mouldy shower and this has brought it up like new.

I needed something to clean mould from between the tiles in my bathroom, and I came across this post via Google. After trying the product, I would like to agree, this is the best mould remover in the world! Thanks!
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • chocolatepennyfarthing
    Options
    Do HG do a product that will clear stubborn limescale from shower screens that anyone has used. Have a constant battle with it.
    Jan Grocery challenge
    Budget £350 - Spent £64.45 to date
  • Tribbles_42
    Options
    I'm new on here but got here by looking on the net for tips on how to get old grout looking like new without the trudge of removing it all and re grouting. Just want to say, I've just tried the shoe whitener and it's brilliant! Dead quick and looks a treat. Does anyone know if this is ok to use in a shower area or would it wash off?? I'm guessing it won't as it's a paint like substance but feedback would be good on this! Trying to avoid commercial reviving stuff as it's pricey and heard mixed reviews:-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure