PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cleaning grout

Options

Comments

• marisco_2
    marisco_2 Posts: 4,261 Forumite
    Options
    I picked up a wonderful tip on here a while ago about how to get my shower door clean and sparkling. So I am back again in the hopes that you wise folk can advise what to use to clean grout. A small area of grout around tiles near the shower has discoloured, due to a make of shampoo I used. How can I get it white and clean looking again? Any advice very much appreciated.
    The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own, no apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Make a paste with bleach and bicarbonate of soda and apply to the grout. Leave for a while (make sure to open a window so the room is well-ventilated), at least 10 minutes but longer if it's quite grimey, then scrub with an old toothbrush (make sure you bin it after use, or at least set it aside and make sure it never gets used for a toothbrush again!)
  • marisco_2
    marisco_2 Posts: 4,261 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for this advice. Do I use equal amounts of bleach and bicarbonate?
    The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own, no apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.
  • LutonGirl
    LutonGirl Posts: 468 Forumite
    Options
    I keep my old electric toothbrush heads for jobs like this. Did my grout in the Christmas break. I must get a life...
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This thread should help:

cleaning grout

I'll merge this thread with that one later to keep the ideas together.

Pink
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You'll need more bicarb than bleach to make a thick paste. I just go by consistancy but one 'recipe' I found was 3/4 cup bicarb to 1/4 cup bleach.
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Options
    I put toilet limescsle remover down the grout lines and shower off. Works for me!
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• winniepooh
    winniepooh Posts: 943 Forumite
    Options
    im glad i have read this thread. the grout at the bottom of the shower has gone black so i'll be trying this. thanks everyone. xx
    I'm trying so hard to be thrifty, but it doesn't come naturally. You lot are an inspiration!
    JUST LOVES THE O/S BOARD
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I use dettox mould and mildew remover, spray it on leave for a few minutes then rinse off.

Pollys
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • MadelinesMum
    Options
    I hope this will also help with mould x
    I must remember that "Money Saving" is not buying heavily discounted items that I do not need. :hello:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure