Breaking the cycle

Options
1234568»

Comments

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You’ve got people on this thread saying your ex makes them ashamed to be female. I think it’s legitimate to bring up your history of anti-woman comments.

That was me that said that. And I stand by. Woman who use their own children as pawns, or lie to the police about abuse, harassment or sexual assault do make me ashamed to be female.

When you have children with someone and separate your own feelings should not come in to. Unless there was abuse and then I totally understand no access or contact at all. If not then the children and their relationship with the other parent normally the dad is important.

Men get a rough deal when it comes to contact and the courts. The mothers get to play all sorts of games and get away with it. The op tried to contact her to sort out about the access. So she calls the police. Unless there has been threats or abuse then totally out of order. And if the OP had decided that he needed to change his access days. I am sure the OP's ex would kicked off merry hell. But I guess thats ok because she is the mother.

I was a step mother. And seen first hand the damage that was done by a lying, jealous ex. I only found out in the last few years. That she told the children when she was with holding access, dad does not want to see you. My ex husband would have moved heaven and earth to see his children. And I supported him and never stood in the way of him seeing his children.

And of course it seems the OP has suffered 8 years of verbal, financial, emotional and physical abuse. But guess thats ok because he is a man!!!!!! And in the words of many should man up!!!!

The PWC is normally the mother. And that is not always for the best. Time the courts started to see this. And stop the silly games that the mothers play. It should have been and always should have been a level playing field.

I always thought comms69 though blunt and a little harsh sometimes, talked sense. And with the abuse that he has suffered maybe that is why he replies the way he does. No matter what the sex of the people involved it's not alright to abuse someone.

If I was the op, I would pay my maintenance and nothing else. Keep the lines of communication open. And always be there for your children even if you can't see them. Make sure that they know you are there and love and care for them. Never bad mouth their mother in front of them. And try and enjoy your life.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    calleyw wrote: »
    That was me that said that. And I stand by. Woman who use their own children as pawns, or lie to the police about abuse, harassment or sexual assault do make me ashamed to be female.
    unfortunately it seems that she is intent on doing just that. I’ve booked an appointment with a solicitor who will hopefully give me the facts of expected contact should it go to court; that will be my basis of arguement at mediation

When you have children with someone and separate your own feelings should not come in to. Unless there was abuse and then I totally understand no access or contact at all. If not then the children and their relationship with the other parent normally the dad is important.
    im a very caring father; I want the best for my kids and for them to achieve their full potential

Men get a rough deal when it comes to contact and the courts. The mothers get to play all sorts of games and get away with it. The op tried to contact her to sort out about the access. So she calls the police. Unless there has been threats or abuse then totally out of order. And if the OP had decided that he needed to change his access days. I am sure the OP's ex would kicked off merry hell. But I guess thats ok because she is the mother.
    id happily share my emails; but for personal reasons I won’t. I can however categorically say there was no threat at all.

I was a step mother. And seen first hand the damage that was done by a lying, jealous ex. I only found out in the last few years. That she told the children when she was with holding access, dad does not want to see you. My ex husband would have moved heaven and earth to see his children. And I supported him and never stood in the way of him seeing his children.
    thats myworst fear. That my kids think I don’t love them. It’s disgusting

And of course it seems the OP has suffered 8 years of verbal, financial, emotional and physical abuse. But guess thats ok because he is a man!!!!!! And in the words of many should man up!!!!
    ive has 22 addresses in 8 years. That’s ridiculous by any standard of measurement. My own fault for not realising; but at the time, when I’m at my lowest; the chance for a family life always brought be back

The PWC is normally the mother. And that is not always for the best. Time the courts started to see this. And stop the silly games that the mothers play. It should have been and always should have been a level playing field.
    i can only hope of a shared custody agreement. The funny thing is ( not funny but ) she’s always criticised me for wanting to take her kids away from her

I always thought comms69 though blunt and a little harsh sometimes, talked sense. And with the abuse that he has suffered maybe that is why he replies the way he does. No matter what the sex of the people involved it's not alright to abuse someone.
    i try to be straight to the point. It’s not that I’m unsympathetic; or I wouldn’t post; just think that often people need to hear something they don’t like.

If I was the op, I would pay my maintenance and nothing else. Keep the lines of communication open. And always be there for your children even if you can't see them. Make sure that they know you are there and love and care for them. Never bad mouth their mother in front of them. And try and enjoy your life.
    never have, never will. She’s still their Mum; she does a good job of providing for them. But there is no more financial support; except the maintenance ofcourse

Yours

Calley x
    Thanks Calley I appreciate it.

I know I’m far (FAR) from perfect. I’ve tried very hard to make this all work; but after 8 years I just can’t do it anymore. The biggest issue is that I need to change my mindset ( which I think brassic was saying ) about constantly being wrong or incompetent.

I’m sure it’s not true; otherwise other areas of my life would show this. But I’m highly regarded at work; colleagues and friends are happy in my company; and I’ve never ever had issues with previous partners ( and that’s including one who cheated on me with another friend - a situation I think most people would explode at )
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Thanks Calley I appreciate it.

I know I’m far (FAR) from perfect. I’ve tried very hard to make this all work; but after 8 years I just can’t do it anymore. The biggest issue is that I need to change my mindset ( which I think brassic was saying ) about constantly being wrong or incompetent.

I’m sure it’s not true; otherwise other areas of my life would show this. But I’m highly regarded at work; colleagues and friends are happy in my company; and I’ve never ever had issues with previous partners ( and that’s including one who cheated on me with another friend - a situation I think most people would explode at )

Comms69,

I am so sorry to see that you are going through this. No one is perfect by any means.

As I said it saddens me that men get the rough end of the wedge in family matters. And their ex's like to play games.

When my ex husband lost his job all his ex could moan about was her maintenance money. Which was about £180 a month. When he was on the phone to her. She over heard me say does she not think it effects us as well. As we had lost a whole income. She said tell that b1tch to shut up. My ex with out a word put the phone down on her. Her response was to go mad and keep phoning us. Which we ignored.

Another thing I know you are not suicidal but the Smaritans 116 123 are there 24 hours a day. Just to have someone to talk to about anything. Some times talking to someone who is not connected to the issue can help.

I do wish you best wishes and hope that you can move forward.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Comms69
    Options
    My biggest gripe; which I raised with my local MP; is that there isn’t a defined minimum for NRPs.

The CMS, and to be clear I have no issues with paying maintenance, is a mostly efficient service which will act fairly quickly.

But there is no agency which intervened in terms of contact.

For perspective; the cost of a CMS claim is £20. But for a contact order it’s £215 (+ you have to atleast try mediation which is from experience £150)

At almost 20x the cost this seems very disproportionate ( and I agree that the two should not be linked, but it’s the best comparison I can think of)
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    My biggest gripe; which I raised with my local MP; is that there isn’t a defined minimum for NRPs.

The CMS, and to be clear I have no issues with paying maintenance, is a mostly efficient service which will act fairly quickly.

But there is no agency which intervened in terms of contact.

For perspective; the cost of a CMS claim is £20. But for a contact order it’s £215 (+ you have to atleast try mediation which is from experience £150)

At almost 20x the cost this seems very disproportionate ( and I agree that the two should not be linked, but it’s the best comparison I can think of)

It costs more because it’s more involved surely? CMS is just about the movement of money, important but not life or death.

Contact is about the safety and well-being of children. You can’t have an agency that just decrees it from a distance for £20 with no consideration of individual circumstances.
  • Comms69
    Options
    It costs more because it’s more involved surely? CMS is just about the movement of money, important but not life or death.

Contact is about the safety and well-being of children. You can’t have an agency that just decrees it from a distance for £20 with no consideration of individual circumstances.

I agree; it’s not a particularly effective comparison.

But my point was that the cost isn’t prohibitive for most people. Additionally there’s an incentive for NRPs to pay voluntarily, as collection by CMS attracts a premium.

With child contact there is a substantially higher cost; and there’s no incentive for earlier agreements.

In most cases; or in a substantial number of cases; neither is needed. But it’s clearly still an issue which is disproportionate.
  • Comms69
    Options
    So it’s been 16 days. And no end in sight.

I know it’s not the longest time by any stretch; but I am finding myself getting more and more frustrated.

I’d take a 5 minute call at the minute! And without being bigheaded about it; neither the kids nor my ex will be happy. It’s just stubbornness on her part at the minute.

I have no issue with mediation, but why not agree some small interim contact until then.

Really really feeling it today ( weekends aren’t good at the minute )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure