Flight delay and cancellation compensation, KLM/AF ONLY

Options

Comments

• bartolas
    bartolas Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    @Tyzap very interesting information... :cool:
    The aircraft that was due to operate your flight ended up going to Rome where it night stopped, operating the early flight back to Amsterdam the following day.

Can you please share with me from where did you get that information?
    Don't rush into doing anything just yet, let's wait and see what happens later this week as it may indicate a change to the schedule.

Why do you recommend me to wait? What should be my next step now?

Thanks for your comments.
  • bartolas
    bartolas Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    @JPears I found some posts here in the forum from people that have used the Resolver tool with KLM claims...

I've submitted it through the tool as well so lets see what happens...
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is little point using resolver if you have already established contact and a claim with KLM. Resolver won't do anything for you that you can't do yourself using Vauban's most excellent guide.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Yawn
    Yawn Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    I made a rather frustrating discovery today. I was meant to return with KLM from New York to Cardiff via Amsterdam on 1 April. My AMS flight got cancelled at the gate due to mechanical issues, for which KLM has taken responsibility.

After queuing for 45 minutes at a desk, I was rebooked, at my request, to a direct flight with Delta to Heathrow. I figured that with a flight full of people trying to get to Amsterdam, this would be more convenient. Also, I reckoned that even if I were able to get on a later flight that evening, there would probably a long wait at Schiphol.

Unfortunately, it looks like my own pro-active steps have deprived of my compensation, because I arrived at Heathrow before I was meant to even land at Cardiff. (The case worker literally writes: "I need to admit, that your own actions keeps you now away from receiving compensation as per regulation") They are paying for my admittedly peak train fare from Heathrow to Cardiff, and they have offered me a 100 euro as a courtesy, but that is as high as they will go.

This is infuriating, because it did not make the experience less stressful and if I had done nothing. I would likely have been owed 600 euro (but KLM tends to offer double the amount as a travel voucher).

Any thoughts? Is there anything I could do?

Incidentally, in the process, I discovered that the information on the Citizens Advice Service is wrong:https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/holiday-cancellations-and-compensation/if-your-flights-delayed-or-cancelled/
    because it doesn't make it clear that with cancellation, you are not owed anything if the delay is less than 2 hours.

Advice would be much appreciated!
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How delayed were you at your arrival in Cardiff? That should be what matters for purposes of compensation.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yawn wrote: »
    Incidentally, in the process, I discovered that the information on the Citizens Advice Service is wrong:https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/holiday-cancellations-and-compensation/if-your-flights-delayed-or-cancelled/
    because it doesn't make it clear that with cancellation, you are not owed anything if the delay is less than 2 hours.
    Under "if your flight is cancelled" it states
    "compensation - if you’d be delayed 2 or more hours by the replacement flight offered and you were given less than 2 weeks' notice"
  • Yawn
    Yawn Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    Under "if your flight is cancelled" it states
    "compensation - if you’d be delayed 2 or more hours by the replacement flight offered and you were given less than 2 weeks' notice"
    Thanks. I just looked at the table below. But you are right it says it above that.

KLM tells me that they look at arrival at the airport, so Heathrow, not Cardiff. This actually makes me feel marginally better, because I rushed to get on the train and only just made it. If I had been forced to take one train later I would have arrived at Cardiff two hours late...

:(
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Options
    KLM are wrong. Your ticket was booked to Cardiff. KLM are still responsible for any costs you incurred in re-routing and the timing of when you actually arrived Cardiff in respect of compensation.
    If you put all your flight details up - both the cancelled KLM ones - dates, timings fliight numbers etc and your re-routed Delta flight number, timings and the actual time you arrived back in Cardiff.
    And this should be on the KLM thread ;)
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Tyronics
    Options
    I am hoping someone can help me with some advice.

I had a flight departing from BGO to AMS to LBA. This flight was booked with KLM through their website.

At 20:00 the previous evening I had an email informing me that the BGO flight would be delayed. Instead of taking off at 06:00 it would be now take off at 09:05. This, however, meant I would not be able to make the connecting flight from AMS to LBA (scheduled to leave at 09:00 local time, but due to the delay I would arrive at 11:00, 2 hours past the flight departure).

I would then put on a connecting flight which was to leave at 16:30. I had to wait 5hrs25mins (roughly) for the AMS to LBA flight.

Do I have any options here? Any help would be much appreciated!
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What reason did they give for the initial delay? put your details into bottonline and euclaim and see what they say then come back
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure