Online Dating Tips - official discussion thread

Options

Comments

• tobstar
    Options
    I've joined POF before and was unimpressed. Can you review Freeandsingle.com as it's says it's 100% free and I'd like to know if it's any good or not?
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tobstar i'm always suspicious when we get a Newie on here trying to promote a little known site. I'm sure if you used google you'd find what you're looking for.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Jacqueline69
    Options
    Don't know if I'm posting this right first time..I tried to sign up to pof.but it won't have it for some reason.will have to try again!..I won't put my piccy up on any of the sites..coz o the locals are gossips.:-(
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Don't know if I'm posting this right first time..I tried to sign up to pof.but it won't have it for some reason.will have to try again!..I won't put my piccy up on any of the sites..coz o the locals are gossips.:-(

No piccie, no reply.
  • junkhoarder
    Options
    I dont know if folk have noticed the massive amounts of dating sites there are many of which are owned but seperatly charge their clients by single organisations such as white house dating. There are far too many sites which makes it far more difficult. Another aspect is that for the likes of me (age 50) its almost hopeless. Adults of that age are far less flexable when it comes to accomodiating another adult in their personal lives since they are too comfortable already.
    Having spent years (since 2001) and not been sucessful other than a scammer who I unfortunatly married, it has to be fair to state that there are as many or more disasters waiting on dating sites if only people had the good sence to admit.
    Furthermore, dating sites are businesses and hence interested in profit from the extortionate monthly charges they make, noticable by those of us on low income! I personally cannot justify anything like £30 a month on this one thing since I cant afford to smoke or drink even if I wanted to. They are worth nothing more than a token payment of £5 max especially when POS and okcupid is free!
    Fine one or two of you had 100% success rate, but 1 scammer and numerous attempted scammers and zero nice women is much nearer to the truth and worse still when one is paying for the pleasure.
    I carried out a test on POF recently, it appears there are 20+ men for every ''available'' woman and the quality of the mens profiles are significantly better than the womens.
    Finally, the ''buddy pal'' sites one reccommending the other and online dating association type organisations cannot be reccommended either. They will be tied into each other for the sake of advertising revenue and dont have your interest at heart at all.
    The current volume of dating sites should be curtailed to one third, as should the money they charge. Maybe we should have an organisation to manage all this thats funded seperatly!
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    robbyfine wrote: »
    Judging from my own experience, it much depends on a website you are using. Match and PoF turned out to be a complete waste of time for me. Recently joined UK Cupid and like the way it works for me. I've been currently texting with two great ladies and they seem to be ready to meet in person.
    They want to meet each other? You could be on a real winner here!
  • mizfiesta
    mizfiesta Posts: 480 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They want to meet each other? You could be on a real winner here!

Bum-tish! lol :-)
    "...and in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make".
  • ScottUK2018
    Options
    POF is not free anymore - it's almost impossible to use without having premium access.
  • ScottUK2018
    ScottUK2018 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 20 September 2017 at 11:19AM
    Options
    I find most sites sexist as they allow women free membership. This makes the women on the site take everything for granted - as they are not paying - so they can behave badly because of this kudos, they.are also in my opinion totally lazy and refuse to approach men. Most women I have met on these sites are very dysfunctional and are incredibly over confident and picky to the extreme that they frighten off any really nice men with their self absorbed self important profiles and shopping lists. What ever happened to spontaneity?
  • handygrandad
    Options

If you are of a certain age you may be tempted to try Saga Dating.

Producing a profile is easy and you can add several photos. You then get to view a list of computer generated matches with other profiles.

Each matching profile gives an indication of how good the match is as a percentage and you can view the other person's profile details.

Statistics show the number of people who have viewed your profile and how many "fans" you have. These are people who have selected you as a "favorite". You might also have a list of "mutual fans" where you have been selected as a favourite, by someone that you have also selected as a favourite.

All the above is free of charge.

On payment of a subscription, (£28 for a month) you will be able to send a message to anyone you would like to contact. (i.e. a mutual favourite). However, you cannot provide any "contact" details (i.e. somewhere to meet, or your email address) until the other person has replied to your initial message.

This could be viewed as additional security, or a cynical means of taking a further £28 fee .... because the other person cannot reply until they have also paid a subscription.

Of course all this is detailed in the terms and conditions which you accept when you pay your subscription .... and we all read the terms and conditions, don't we ?

Not to worry, once you have paid your subscription and you invite someone to meet up with you at the local coffee shop, that contact information will be removed from your message, and you will be warned that you cannot provide "contact" details until the other person replies to your initial message, which means, until they also have paid a £28 fee.

Am I alone in thinking this is a bit of a rip off ?

I assume the primary function of a dating website is to provide a list of potential contacts and enable you to invite someone to make contact with you by meeting up for coffee, or providing them with a phone number or email address. I also assume that terms and conditions are usually legal cover to protect an organisation from fraud or misuse of their website and I'm happy to tick the "accept" box on this assumption. This is the first time I have come across terms and conditions that seem to be designed to exploit users.

If you are interested, try the website yourself. Click on the menu option on the home page and view the terms and conditions .... .... does it explain in plain english that payment of a subscription only entitles you to send a message, and that message cannot include "contact" details?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure