Online Dating Tips - official discussion thread

Options

Comments

• ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    I would also disagree with the POF casual flings description :mad:

I met my partner on there nearly 2 years ago and neither of us would call that a casual fling! Same goes for several couples I know who met on there

Me too, 2years on and hopefully a happy ever after. There's more of a need to separate the numptys from the normal on POF but I definitely prefer it to the other sites.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • Robinette
    Options
    Another thumbs up for POF from me. Yes, there are fakes and flakes on there, but there are also some lovely, genuine people and - fingers crossed - I appear to have met someone really special. :heart:
  • vodkachick68
    Options
    Well I've been on match for 3 months and have not had one date! I am certainly not that bad looking and I've tried to be proactive but still no joy. I'm also on pof and I'm getting a lot more interest but again no joy with dates.

I have recently changed the wording on my profile and added a couple of new photos so fingers crossed :-) i am not desperate to meet someone at the moment as 4 months ago I had a bloke treat me crap.

It would just be nice to chat to a couple of nice men for a change. Anymore tips would be appreciated ;)
  • Robinette
    Options
    roteirod wrote: »
    One of the most important tips is that you should use only very reliable and trusted dating websites. For example, mymagicbrides.com uses some type of anti-scam protection. You'd better look for such websites only. It very important as many of the websites are really fraud nowadays...

This is a very good piece of advice, although I am not sure that the site you have suggested is the best example of a reliable and trusted dating website... :D
  • LTL
    LTL Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    Well I've been on match for 3 months and have not had one date! I am certainly not that bad looking and I've tried to be proactive but still no joy. I'm also on pof and I'm getting a lot more interest but again no joy with dates.

I have recently changed the wording on my profile and added a couple of new photos so fingers crossed :-) i am not desperate to meet someone at the moment as 4 months ago I had a bloke treat me crap.

It would just be nice to chat to a couple of nice men for a change. Anymore tips would be appreciated ;)

I'd say proactively message and proactively ask to go out for a drink/date. I am on online dating and get tired of women who just seem to want to chat on there forever. I like to go for a drink and really find each other out!
  • Lorgan
    Options
    Does anyone have any experience of dating sites for people with disabilities, in particular with autism?
  • Blackberry_silk
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a good dating site for Seniors ?
  • HeleP
    Options
    Hi Guys

I have a customer with a brand new UK only site which is free. He needs people to test the site and give feedback. Can anyone help?

thanks

Helen

P.S Not sure if we are allowed to add the link on here?
  • catoutthebag
    catoutthebag Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    Options
    Rant time (met 2 past long term off sites so I have years experience). I'm younger so may not apply to people who are middle aged.

- girls who put their profile pic with another girl or group of girls. ..I mean am I supposed to guess.

- girls with a drink in their hand. ..trying to come across as 'fun' with this hand accessory. ...no personality

- use of 'vintage filters' from their phone

- negative descriptions about 'timwasters' or being 'in a rut'. How attractive.

- opposite sex in pictures. Just a dating no no.

- 'ask me' as their description. Can't string an intelligent sentence together?

- 'i like staying in with a bottle of wine and dvd/takeaway or going out'. Original. Come on, bore off! I'd be retired if I got a penny for thr number of times I'd read this.

- 'friends and family are important to me'. Really? Great.

- pouty pics. Posey pics. Gym pics. Bikini pics. ....tacky. attention seeking.
  • catoutthebag
    catoutthebag Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    Options
    Oh and many women are not proactive. ...just sitting back for men to come along and chase. Don't get me wrong. .had quite a few women message me but it's not the norm. We live in the 21st century yeah.

Also dating is skewed in females favour as they are outnumbered by males. So you're average girl gets a self inflated image of herself as she is bombarded with dozens of messages a day mainly on thr cheap free (often chavvy) sites. So she ignores the guys who are probably too good for her anyway and waits for mr perfect to come along - little does she know thst mr perfect doesn't exist. So she ends up being cold, single, lonely. Bless her and her naivety.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure