PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Victory

The recipe is post 1408.. i copied it over this morning..shaz_mum_of_1 posted it on another thread the other day
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • linzmac_2
    linzmac_2 Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    Right...NSD here yesterday and hopefully tomorrow too, but today I had to buy food for the rabbit and guinea pig (£3.99) and needed kitchen roll, bread flour, onions, hayfever tablets and eye drops (£9.81) so really need to have quite a few no/minimal spend days now to get to the end of the month within budget. Am feeling fairly confident, though as we have plenty in and I am loving the challenge of making interesting meals from what we have....rustled up choc sponge pud and bailey's custard on Saturday night, so we're not exactly slumming it!!

Linz x
  • Sunny_Donny
    Sunny_Donny Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Linzmac - have you been on the shortcut that Martin gave for Chemist4u.com for hayfever tablets - I got 6 packs of 30 for £7.00 including postage. Exactly the same as brand names but much much cheaper!!!!

Query re freezing milk - how long can you keep it in the freezer and how long after defrosting do you have to use it.

Thanks
    Mortgage free as at 1/9/13 :j
    To start work on the credit cards now!!
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    mama67 wrote: »
    Could you post the recipe for Banoffee Pie please.

hi mama67 - recipe for Banoffi Pie has now been posted by kittynortheast, thanks for doing that as this is exactly the same recipe that I used from the Nestle website - save me typing it out.:D It was delicious and thanks also to OrkneyStar for mentioning the Carnation caramel - I haven't seen that before and have just looked it up on mysupermaket and it's £1.64 a tin as oppossed to £1.20 for the Condensed Milk which you then have to add brown sugar and butter and boil to get the caramel so I shall definitely give that a try next time.;)

Had a scorching hot day here, just been out to the Greenhouse and 4 of my courgette seeds have sprouted up already, was late putting them in and didn't get round to it until last week and seed packet said they should be sown by end of May but I thought I would chance it so pleased they are doing OK. Everything else looking good, just want to start picking soon.:p

Off now to finish getting dinner ready, using up leftovers from the weekend, OH and DD1 & DD2 having HM Shepherds Pie and I am having chicken and salad. Got some Roast Pork left from yesterday so tomorrow I shall be turning that into Pork Oaties, never made them before but they look like burgers so if I don't tell the family what's in them, they usually eat and say they love it and then I reveal what's in things.:rotfl:
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• jackk_2
    jackk_2 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    BANOFFEE PIE

For the Base
    100g(3.5 oz) butter, melted
    250g(9oz) digestive biscuits (always buy value ones can't tell the diff)

For the Caramel
    100g(3.50z) butter
    100g(3.5oz) dark brown soft sugar (have used other)
    397g can carnation condensed milk (thought I'd better state brand as I've pinched their recipe!! LOL)

Topping
    4 small bananas (or whatever!)
    284ml carton double cream
    cocoa powder for dusting

You will also need
    20cm (8in) loose bottomed cake tin, greased and base lined

Method
    1. to make base, crush/process biscuits until like fine crumbs (I stick them in a plastic bag and bash them with rolling pin -ooh gets rid of all my aggression). stir in melted butter. press into tin. Chill the base while you get on with rest.
    2. To make filling, place butter and sugar into a non-stick pan over a low heat, stirring until butter is melted and sugar dissolves. Add condensed milk and bring to a gentle boil stirring continuously to make the caramel. As soon as it thickens, remove from heat and spread over biscuit base, cool and then leave to chill in fridge for about 1 hour, until firm.

To serve remove pie from tin,and onto serving plate, slice bananas and place on top, softly whip cream and put over bananas. Dust with cocoa. Iknow the calorific value per slice if anyone is (not!) interested, but it's not pretty. Prob best not knowing!!!!

I don't add sugar and butter to the condensed milk, i find its sweet enough. I just whack the tin into boiling water, and simmer for a couple of hours, hey-presto caramel (leave to cool in the tin, do not open till cooled)........just an alternative suggestion, i hope nobody minds :D .

Jackie x
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well today was not an unofficial NSD afterall as needed some bits. Spent £9.37 in the COOP on:

T-Bags (Fairtrade plus 50% extra) £2.69
    2L local milk (for making DS porridge mainly!), £1.29
    Elmlea Cream, (to have with rhubarb crumble of course), £0.95
    Davidstow Mat Chedd 250g BOGOF,(normally too expensive but at BOGOF does not work out too bad. Also v. strong so can add less but still get flavour), £2.85
    DS Organic Yogurt, (he has this with homemade mango puree, much healthier than the little tubs of Fromage Frais etc and cheaper), £1.59

I put the change, all 63p, in the loose change envelope. Not planning a big shop this week really. Might pop to Lidl for some store cupboard bits and yogs for DH.

Made for tea tonight, enchiladas and made enough for tomorrow lunch and another smaller dish for freezing. Also made todays split pea soup into split pea, carrot, tom and rice soup for another day, mmmmmmmm

Been a good girl, :D and updated sig.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• annelouise_2
    annelouise_2 Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all,

Have had a productive day.

Found Yeast this morning at small supermarket reasonably priced so got on with bread making and left plenty of time to prove so loaf is going in after tea.Freezer Fish and Chips,Peas,Bread n Butter and ketchup.Strawberries and Ice cream for dessert.

Kids have made chocolate Twinks whilst waiting for tea.:T Packed lunches all done - chicken salad,tuna salad,cheese and jam sandwich.I've even frozen ds4 weeks worth of sandwiches.Great idea from here. Thanks to whoever.

Have sold another couple of items on ebay..Looking good.

Done 2 surveys and will use Pigsback for next ebay buying to earn points.

All bathrooms sparkly and my bedroom is dust free!! Yippee.;)

Will do krispie bars later in the week and try pizza dough for a weekend treat.

Have seen a big difference in my buying habits and also what is in the fridge and freezer.I will also have a seizure when we next eat out as a family!!!!Thinking how many days we could eat for as a family.

annelouise:rotfl:
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    victory wrote: »
    lentil cottage pie? recipe please:D :D

It was delicious!:drool:

shepherdless pie ie its vegetarian

400g continental lentils

6 carrots diced
    2 medium onions chopped
    2 sticks celery chopped
    1 leek sliced thinly
    1 tablespoon tomato puree
    3 stock cubes
    about 1.5 litres water
    tablespoon dried mint
    a little cornflour or instant gravy granules
    about a kilo mashed potato

its a bung it all in the pan(except the gravy granules /flour) and cook until lentils are soft type of recipe i( use a pressure cooker) then i thicken with the gravy granules/flour

Then strain the lentil mixture reserving the gravy put the lentil mixture into an oven proof dish top with the mash and bake in a hot oven until browned
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • Flylady_Flower
    Flylady_Flower Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    :o
    Would you like to share a house? and let the hubbies share the other house? :rotfl: .... my biggest irritation has to be the tea/coffee/sugar jars being out of line and not pushed back against the wall...ooooohh and the kettle handle not being to the right -and in line with said wall :o
    Oh and i have all my tins faced up too... and even find myself twisting them to the front on supermarket shelves :rotfl: mind i think that bit comes from when i used to shelf stack :p
    Its weired ..a lot of it im not actually aware that im doing...i just walk past things and put them back into place as i pass :eek:
    mind we are talking about someone who makes pasta salads/stir fries etc and then sorts them back into little piles of peas, peppers etc on her plate as she eats :rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl: I am sitting here laughing like a drain, I'm SOOOO glad I'm not the only one, my family think I'm nuts and have a disorder...:rotfl: :rotfl: , they were thinking of putting me into an institution....

I also straighten stuff up as I go around shops, again like you might be my shelf filling days, but when things arn't straight, etc it really niggles until I just have to go and straighten it - magazines in doctors surgery's when they have them in those rack things is another one...

I have to section off food as I dish it up too, make a space in the middle of the pasta for the sauce, Lay roast potatoes next to meat and then veg next to those for sunday dinner, salad all laid out nicely in little rows, etc., I think it's coz I don't like peppers and celery and the rest of them do, so I never mix in a bowl as I always get a suprise otherwise... Ohh, better stop before the men in white coats come and start knocking on the door...

Hmmmm, house sharing in Germany... sounds like a plan! :D
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    :rotfl: :rotfl: I am sitting here laughing like a drain, I'm SOOOO glad I'm not the only one, my family think I'm nuts and have a disorder...:rotfl: :rotfl: , they were thinking of putting me into an institution....

I also straighten stuff up as I go around shops, again like you might be my shelf filling days, but when things arn't straight, etc it really niggles until I just have to go and straighten it - magazines in doctors surgery's when they have them in those rack things is another one...

I have to section off food as I dish it up too, make a space in the middle of the pasta for the sauce, Lay roast potatoes next to meat and then veg next to those for sunday dinner, salad all laid out nicely in little rows, etc., I think it's coz I don't like peppers and celery and the rest of them do, so I never mix in a bowl as I always get a suprise otherwise... Ohh, better stop before the men in white coats come and start knocking on the door...

Hmmmm, house sharing in Germany... sounds like a plan! :D

:rotfl: :rotfl: we must have been seperated at birth :D
    If i have a cooked breakfast I have to put my bacon and sausages across the middle like a wall and IF and its a big IF i have beans and egg the beans go one side and my egg has to sit on a slice of toast so the yolk doesn't touch anything else :rotfl:
    Cooked dinners are like yours..all in neat little heaps and if i have gravy..only on the meat bit :o

And don't get me started on folks dunking biscuits in tea/coffee or bread in soup :eek: ... i think there are a few of us in need of some help on here :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport