20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)

Options

Comments

• doingitanyway
    Options
    Exit strategy action of the day ;)
    Today I wrote off to sort out some of my NI record.
    I read up on NI contributions too. If I am off for a year I will also register as self employed so I can make voluntary NI contributions.
    Hope you are all having a great weekend.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Ooh good plan on the NI - you only get 6 years to fix stuff, I was SO glad someone told me when our work screwed it up as I would never have thought to check.
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • lonelyrat
    Options
    Homegrown0 wrote: »
    I think you're a brave person and you deserve to be happy in what you do.
    DIA that's a wonderful post - totally inspirational.

Here, here! Sorry about the sabbatical (boo :(), but very impressed with your approach to everything. Am excited for what the future holds :)
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • redofromstart
    Options
    I can see the attraction of the 'safe' sabbatical but sometimes its worth frightening yourself by taking the harder route. Its certainly working for me at the moment.

So scarily sensible on the NI contributions. Big gaps in mine and its too late to do anything much about it.
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    I decluttered a bag of clothes and other items to the CS.

I bought a small radio for my bedroom.

I returned clothes to B0den at the PO. (I no longer keep clothes I don’t 100% love) ;)

I did a small Lid1 shop

I made mini beefburgers

I moved furniture around so my creativity space is beginning to take shape :)

I bought a beautiful hardback book that I wanted in a CS for £4 instead of £16 :money:

I checked my bank and balanced accounts

I am not overdrawn but I overspent this month and this needs to stop as my income is reducing.

I think my best bet instead of copious plans is to stay out of stupidmarkets as much as possible. A once a week shop plus a monthly bulk shop should do it.

In part my debt began when my income was severely reduced and I carried on without sticking to a budget. I did not have enough to make ends meet it is true but I also spent more than I needed to. :o I am determined not to do this again.

I hope you had a good start to your week.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    I am trying to hold my nerve, but yesterday I had a bit of a wobble. Big change is scary. :eek: I don’t feel brave…:o

I got notified of a tax refund of £38 today that I will be adding to my CU account when it arrives in my account. My emergency account is taking a long time to get to £1,000. It is at £612 today.

I am nervously awaiting the kitchen replastering quote. Please let it be reasonable!

I have to find a launderette to wash my winter duvet. At the minute it is on the floor waiting to be dealt with.:o

I have to buy a phone holder for the car so I can use the map feature. Using this app is a FROG for me as I am a natural luddite much happier with a nice book and pen and paper instead of apps and social media.:o

I found a beautiful hoodie at B0den but it was too big so I sent it back. I reordered 2 sizes down. It is £120 off the original price but still more than I would like to pay, but it is lush and will be comforting on long, cold walks and cost per wear it will be worth it. Now just to find joggers and trainers too.

Another major spend is going to be my chair. I am going to be doing a lot of computer work so a decent office chair is a necessity. And a printer and an external hard drive! :eek:

A SCARY AMOUNT OF SPENDING COMING UP. :eek:

To offset all this spending I will be making extra frugal meals. Think soup and turkey drumsticks (£2 each and really very nice) oh, and beans. Haha. ;)

Wishing you all a frugal happy day :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I have two Boden hoodies I have had for years :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Another Boden fan here. I am liking your recent posts about taking a year out. I do hope it comes off for you , it all sounds like it is meant to be and very brave of you.

Go for it DIA .
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Do you definitely need a launderette DIA? I jam mine in the washing machine, but then I do have a bigger size machine (partly to do exactly this, as well as too many throws in an attempt to keep the cats off the actual furniture :/ ).

The last time I bought a phone holder for the car was about £8 in Halfords. If you have one nearby, some of their staff are lovely and might help you pick one or set it up (some of them are just grumpy teenagers, so depends who you find on the day).

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Another Boden fan here. I am liking your recent posts about taking a year out. I do hope it comes off for you , it all sounds like it is meant to be and very brave of you.

Go for it DIA .
    Thanks Cumbria. Brave or foolish time will tell but I need to get all my ducks in a row first.
    Do you definitely need a launderette DIA? I jam mine in the washing machine, but then I do have a bigger size machine (partly to do exactly this, as well as too many throws in an attempt to keep the cats off the actual furniture :/ ).

The last time I bought a phone holder for the car was about £8 in Halfords. If you have one nearby, some of their staff are lovely and might help you pick one or set it up (some of them are just grumpy teenagers, so depends who you find on the day).
    Thanks Rosa. I only have a small washing machine so yes I need to use a launderette.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills