20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)

Options

Comments

• doingitanyway
    Options
    abba1772 wrote: »
    Before your debt free journey happened feeling that there is always something to buy shows you how far we've come as it's opened our eyes to what we are spending xx
    Well done on organising a quote xx
    Something I haven't thought about Abba. I used to spend without thought before my debt journey. I was sleepwalking and now I am awake. I have come a long way :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    A good Sunday so far for me.:)

Two really nice leisurely phone calls. :)

Events have overtaken and the holiday is out of the window (probably) but I still feel the need to have a holiday to look forward to however far in the future. I need to experience different cultures and ways of being so I am keen to go somewhere where I can see the world anew. I spoke to one of my best friends and we have agreed to go to Vietnam. I am happy with that. I am hoping to be on sabbatical until the beginning of June so a holiday in September will be about right and give me time to save up too. We will book at Christmas and knowing I have that will pull me through the darker months :)

I’ve already washed up 5 loads of dishes (I know, I let it get bad this week) and I have clothes washed and drying outside.:)

Food for the week:

Lentil and veggie soup
    Stock from a chicken in fridge
    Quinoa batch with red beans
    Houmous
    Beef and quinoa meatballs
    Cauliflower rice prepped
    Buckwheat, blue poppy seed and coconut flour wrap batter prepped (to cook later and freeze)

I am going to keep today no spend and stay home listening to podcasts, food prepping and getting the house clean, organised and clutter free.

It is only when I have Sundays like this that I realise how much I need them!;)

I hope you enjoy your Sunday too :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • BabyStepper
    Options
    Hi there

I've just read your diary and wanted to say congratulations for becoming debt free and also coping with the house renovations. I have had a similar experience with tradespeople so I can sympathise. They can show up late or not at all, wildly overcharge, speak to you as though you are stupid and generally create some very unpleasant experiences, and all in your own home. I even had one guy checking me out, I couldn't get him out of my home fast enough. And even when they are pleasant and helpful, it is still difficult to have a stranger in your home when you're on your own. One thing I've done a few times is to ask a friend to be there, or my OH when he can get away from work. But overall dealing with tradespeople is very stressful and anxiety provoking. So a massive well done from me on coping with it all and persevering. You will get there, bit by bit.

I've subscribed.
    Emergency fund £8,500/£8,500
    Mortgage overpayment £260
    Debtfree!
    £21,228.07 paid off in 22 months
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Thank you for subscribing and posting babystepper
    It really helps when others 'get it'
    As you say I will get there, albeit slowly! :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 10 September 2018 at 1:40PM
    Options
    I did some drudge as soon as I got up and then I went to Ald1 early today. I bought an unplanned for wok for £5. Hopefully it will encourage me to eat lots of stir fry veggies. I am not eating enough veggies.

Low, low energy today. I have a feeling my iron levels have dropped again. Started my iron supplements again.

I can’t face a tradesman so I put him off to Friday when I will be in work mode as WFH.:o

It seems I spend all my free time trying to get this house under control and not ever getting it done. I imagine my free days to be about relaxing lovely activities and all I ever seem to be doing is trying (unsuccessfully) to keep on top of the chaos.:o

I decluttered all the food in my fridge and freezer and cupboards that I do not like or does not agree with me. When I was in debt I ate what I had and what was on offer or cheap. I am not going to do that anymore.

I have thrown out so many things lately in a decluttering frenzy that my dustbin is overfull.

I had a nap just after midday. :o

Hope you are having a good start to your week

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • lonelyrat
    Options
    That sounds like such a wonderful Sunday :o Vietnam sounds wonderful, am very excited for you! It will be lovely having something like that to look forward to!

Well done on de-cluttering the fridge/ cupboards. I find mine get full of 'healthy' food that I inevitably end up not eating... Really need to just use up everything I have.
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • abba1772
    abba1772 Posts: 7,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Sorry to hear work said no........did they give a reason why???

Good luck with the ppl claims fingers crossed the universe helps you out xx
    NEXT TARGET: Halifax credit card DEC 22 £0 / £4499.12
    POAMAYC 2011 £6378.35 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90 POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13208.18POAMAYC 2019 £13309.28 POAMAYC 2020 £15026.05
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,331 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Hope the universe does its bit.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    abba1772 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear work said no........did they give a reason why???

Good luck with the ppl claims fingers crossed the universe helps you out xx

Have I missed something on your diary ? What happened with the sabbatical?

Hope your ok ?
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Glad you asked Cumbria. I was also wondering
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure