Easyjet seating policy

Options

Comments

• Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is a scam and the authorities should have come down on it like a ton of bricks from the moment it started.
    One of the fundamentals of any commercial contract is that you do not expect the one side to deliberately do something which is clearly to the disadvantage of the other party to the contract.
    Once you lose sight of this principle all business becomes more difficult.

This is not a scam,airlines are a business and as such are allowed to run their business anyway they want as long as it is legal,charging people to sit where they want is a choice,just like hotels charging single supplements or charging some children as adults during room occupancy ratios,you have the option, pay or take whats given
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is a scam and the authorities should have come down on it like a ton of bricks from the moment it started.
    One of the fundamentals of any commercial contract is that you do not expect the one side to deliberately do something which is clearly to the disadvantage of the other party to the contract.
    Once you lose sight of this principle all business becomes more difficult.

Oh I don't know. I'd prefer not to be seated next to parent when we travel together - I like my peace and quiet. Now paying for an aisle seat, on the other hand, I'd be more willing to stump up for.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    This is not a scam,airlines are a business and as such are allowed to run their business anyway they want as long as it is legal ................
    I suspect that had Ryanair been taken to court when they first introduced the policy it would have been found not to be legal - indeed they had to change the details of the policy because it was not legal.
    However in reality it is just another example of the incompetence of modern regulators - one day they will have to pass a bill to remove all the laxity that has been allowed into consumer contracts in recent years.
    At the moment you get nonsense like PPI where the regulators allow a procedure for years and then eventually realise that they have made an expensive mistake
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 January 2019 at 3:47AM
    Options
    I think people are happy to gamble not sitting together by not paying............its the feeling separating people on purpose they object to if they don't pay!!
  • brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    charging people to sit where they want is a choice,just like hotels charging single supplements or charging some children as adults during room occupancy ratios,you have the option, pay or take whats given
    Deliberately doing something which you know to be disadvantageous to your customer is an entirely different matter to simply carrying out your business. People are not being charged to sit where they want; they are being deliberately separated.
    When you buy a house you do not expect the windows to be six feet up simply because it may be legal.
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    Deliberately doing something which you know to be disadvantageous to your customer is an entirely different matter to simply carrying out your business. People are not being charged to sit where they want; they are being deliberately separated.
    When you buy a house you do not expect the windows to be six feet up simply because it may be legal.

What nonsense. You're paying to get from A-B.
    A better example would be purchasing a train ticket where you're not even guarenteed a seat.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    What nonsense. You're paying to get from A-B.
    A better example would be purchasing a train ticket where you're not even guarenteed a seat.
    You can reserve a seat free on most long distance trains.
  • zagfles
    Options
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    I think people are happy to gamble not sitting together by not paying............its the feeling separating people on purpose they object to it they don't pay!!
    Exactly. Some people simply fail to comprehend this simple point.
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    You can reserve a seat free on most long distance trains.

And you can reserve a specfic seat on a plane for a little fee.
  • zagfles
    Options
    And you can reserve a specfic seat on a plane for a little fee.
    Whoosssshhhhh
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport